The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 18, 2012, 08:38 PM   #1
anzafrank

How do you grip your 442

When punching paper I run the web of my hand as far up as possible up the back strap which takes two hands to get in position. My problem is in that position it's a bit hard on my trigger finger because at that angle I can't just pull straight back using the first finger pad or joint, but instead I have to partially use the finger bone side.

Also, if I ever have to pull it in sd, I can't very well tell the bad guy to wait a second while I use two hands to slide my right hand to the top. I know that if it got pulled, I would simply grip it as it comes out of my pocket. The problem with that is the gun is not quite as stable. Another problem with running my grip to the top is that it hammers my thumb bone. Anyone shoot theirs without going to the top? Anyone use theirs with regular 38's and not plus p's? When I do carry I use plus p's. Thanks.

Frank
Old December 18, 2012, 08:57 PM   #2
shootniron

I pocket carry a 642 the vast majority of the time. I grip the gun as high on the backstrap as I can will still being able the pull the trigger as straight back as possible. It is something that I spent a good bit of time developing by dryfiring. Also, while doing this, I practiced and still do, having the correct grip when I begin the draw...thereby, ensuring the gun is ready to present immediately.YMMV and JMO
Old December 19, 2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Nanuk

I grip it so that my finger indexes alongside the frame naturally, right under the cylinder. If you find that you must use 2 hands to get a proper grip, you need some more practice.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 19, 2012, 05:53 PM   #4
dgludwig

Quote:
I grip the gun as high on the backstrap as I can will still being able the pull the trigger as straight back as possible.

Same here. A high grip on most any handgun is the best way I know of to help control recoil, especially important when fast, repeat shots are called for.
Old December 19, 2012, 06:30 PM   #5
.38SPL enthusiast

I shoot an airweight S&W regularly with everything from wadcutters to 200 grain reloads, and have a couple of ideas which might help. First, I have shot my guns accurately regardless of how high or low I gripped them. The only problem with the low grip, of which I am sure you are aware, is that they roll more with recoil and follow up shots are slower. Just practice dryfiring until you find for yourself how high or low a grip is condusive to accuruate fire.

One idea I wanted to pass along was to be sure your pressing the grip of your revolver into the web between your thumb and pointer finger. The gun will hammer your thumb less because it wil be in line with your arm. While I do use a two-handed hold for long ranges, I don't think its the most natural way to shoot. Once you you learn to naturally grip the revolver as described above, practice point shooting with just one hand for short ranges. Just be sure and grip the gun really hard when you do this and I think you'll be less concerned about always assuming a two-handed hold.
Old December 20, 2012, 02:16 AM   #6
anzafrank

Thanks for the nice tips guys. I dry fired it I don't know how many times trying to get this down, but it looks like it's back to the drawing board.

Frank
Old December 20, 2012, 02:40 AM   #7
9mm

with all (girly fingers) on it, no problems lol... Then my left hand over it, with the left pointer finger under the trigger guard,thumb away from cylinder.
Old December 20, 2012, 03:32 AM   #8
tlm225

High grip with the web between thumb and forefinger firmly pressed against the recoil shoulder.
Old December 20, 2012, 04:53 AM   #9
shortwave

I use a high grip on the 442,642 as well. But I did not like the stock grip panels. Could not acquire the right feel with them with a high grip so I started messing with different panels till I settled into a set of Pachmayr's. I found they were just fat enough to allow for a comfortable high grip but not to fat for holstered pocket carry.

Shot the Pach's for awhile, then went to the Crimson Trace grips finding they were a lot like the Pachmayr's.

Maybe trying some different grip panels would help.
Old December 20, 2012, 05:05 AM   #10
Alnamvet68

Personally, it's all about what kind of grip one has on his J frame, and less about how one has to consciously place/grip the gun. I would try different styles of grips on your J frame, and decide which grip allows you to purchase the gun comfortably without you having to think about whether or not your grip is right. There are several styles of grips, and I'm sure one will fit the bill.

Full size finger grooved grips - typically, these come in rubber, and cover both the front and rear strap, as well as the butt. Your small finger is not left dangling, but may be to big for small hands.

"Boot" grips - these will cover the front strap, and have finger grooves, leaving your small finger dangling. Rear strap and butt is exposed. Great for little hands, but harder to control the gun when using hot loads.

Wood full size finger grooved grips - most of these grips will cover the front strap and butt of the frame, leaving the rear strap exposed - these grips are perfect for my hands (size 8 1/2 glove size).

Standard OEM S&W grip panels - these grips work for me, but work much better when a Tyler-T grip is installed. If you must keep the original wood panels (which I and many do because of the aesthetics of these grips), then a Tyler-T grip will enhance the feel of your gun when purchased.

Oversized finger grooved grips - If you love the concealability and low weight of a J frame revolver, but crave the feel of gripping a Glock, then these grips are for you. Personally, I find this type of grip offensive in appearance, and yes, gripping a J frame with grips like these reninds me of gripping a Glock.

The bottom line, one should not have to wonder whether one has the proper purchase when gripping a handgun...this should be an unconscious act, and installing the right grip on your gun will make that happen.
Old December 20, 2012, 10:43 AM   #11
chewie146

Hard.
Old December 21, 2012, 03:21 AM   #12
anzafrank

I thought about changing grips but the fear of finding the right one after buying many didn't sound too great. I guess I have med. hands. Also, if other grips were larger then they would stick out more. I don't have a cc, and i'm not worried about people seeing a bulge in my pocket, they don't even look, but it's the off d. cops who might be looking. Thanks,

Frank
Old December 21, 2012, 10:25 AM   #13
chewie146

Off duty cops aren't the ones I worry about seeing a bulge in my pocket. It's the undesirables of society that are the threat.
Old December 26, 2012, 07:30 PM   #14
dyl

Saw this thread and just had to comment.

I used to grip as high as I can. A large influence was watching a Jerry McCulick (spelling?) film which advised to do so. In fact that video advised to have a grip so high as to have the skin of the web of the dominant hand over the hump of the backstrap, and to consider wrapping the thumb of the support hand across the dominant hand's web too.

Now I don't "choke up" on the grips anymore. For my revolvers I find that an extended trigger finger parallel to the bore (which lays just under the cylinder when extended) does a few things for me. It's easier on the tendons of my hand when I pull the trigger straight back as a result since I have more leverage. This especially makes a difference with my N-frame large revolver. Better leverage. Also, recoil energy is translated into muzzle flip depending on how stout your loads are. The barrel settles back down soon enough for my taste and I can stand to shoot more this way. Finally, I find that a lower grip seems to optimize the distance to the trigger - as in it moves the trigger farther away from my hand. This is good because with a high grip, I end up with too much trigger finger for the trigger to stay in that last bend of my index finger as the trigger is pulled.

Remember though, you have to find what works best for how you were made - and decide what factors are most important to you.