The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old May 5, 2013, 08:13 AM   #1
Airman Basic

Old wheelweights

Just now perusing threads at Castboolits concerning whys and wherefores of wheelweights. I have several 5 gallon buckets of wheelweights which I regularly mix with my pretty much inexhaustible supply of linotype and monotype. (used to be in the newspaper business) Was wondering when the wheelweights started being adulterated with zinc, plastic, et al. The last time I scrounged for WW metal was 20 years ago, so my supply is at least that old. Should I be worried about my WWs?
Old May 5, 2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Hawg

Keep your temp under 700 degrees and zinc weights will float to the top. If you have any stick on weights they are very close to pure lead, so if you don't shoot black powder you might sell them to folks that do.
Old May 5, 2013, 12:05 PM   #3
sidewindr

If your stash is definitely 20+yrs old it should be very unlikely to have any zinc, Fe, or composite ww. I wish all my ww were 20yrs old, it generally has more antimony(not a concern with your lino/mono).Not all of us are that lucky.

If you can keep your temps below 600F, you will find a certain brand/shape of ww(it sort of has wings)that will not melt. I pick those out of all my ww, before even putting in the pot now. They are almost pure lead, melt at 625-630F.
Old May 5, 2013, 04:20 PM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
with my pretty much inexhaustible supply of linotype and monotype. (used to be in the newspaper business)
Ooooooo. I hate you. (Kidding, of course.)
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 5, 2013, 04:53 PM   #5
Beagle333

You'll have no troubles finding nice clean WW if you can trade your harder metal for it. There are many, many people with a 4-5 lifetime pile of nice smelted WW ingots that don't have nearly enough mono/lino. You could even sell it outright and just buy virgin Lyman #2 or other bullet alloy from Rotometals or Mayco and never flux again!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old May 5, 2013, 05:59 PM   #6
Plumbnut

If you melt lead and stir it the impurities float to the top where they can be spooned off.

Never stick a cold tool into hot lead.....it will make the lead pop out on ya. So heat the spoon you will be dipping with a bit.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for folks who didn't know.
Old May 6, 2013, 01:39 AM   #7
Rangefinder

Quote:
If you have any stick on weights they are very close to pure lead, so if you don't shoot black powder you might sell them to folks that do.
NOPE---save 'em for handgun--especially HP's. 50/50 stick-on with clip-on and add about 2% tin is my do-all HP alloy. Max expansion, max retention in 40S&W, and it's a great mix for any .45 bullet. Even my .357 likes it, but the higher velocities still blow the nose off the bathtub size HP's. Radio version: soft lead has its place in smokeless casting. Don't ditch it--you'll regret it later.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old May 11, 2013, 06:08 AM   #8
dahermit

Quote:
...my pretty much inexhaustible supply of linotype and monotype...
To the bullet caster, that is the equivalent of winning the multi-million jackpot! I have not seen any type metals for years.
Old May 11, 2013, 09:15 AM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

There's a lot of wheelweights out there that aren't lead. Don't worry, they're the ones that don't melt. After you're finished, set them aside and toss those.
Old May 11, 2013, 11:28 AM   #10
Airman Basic

When my old newspaper employer went to offset type, they had tons of lead to get rid of, and nobody seemed to want it but me. This was in the middle 70s. Still got most of it.