The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 18, 2000, 08:35 PM   #1
Rod from MO

Can anyone give me some information about .45acp A-Merc brass? I "found" about 100 cases at the range a while back and have been reloading it. About 15-20% of it will not fit in the shellplate of my Square Deal B, and 100% of it will not chamber in my Midway go/no go gauge. It does feed and function satisfactorily in my Springfield 1911 though. I've just never heard of this brass before, and was wondering if it's made in the U.S. or foreign. Any help will be appreciated. I'm a new poster to this forum.
Old June 18, 2000, 09:47 PM   #2
Halo

You have found some brass from the infamous American Ammunition, the crap that comes in the clear eggcrate type boxes. My experiences with that ammo, along with the tales of others, have convinced me never to even try reloading it. I trash any that I find while sorting brass.
Old January 23, 2005, 07:22 PM   #3
Big_Al

Jams my 650 also--I can always tell if an A-Merc case got mixed in with good brass. Straight to the garbage can for the A-Merc! My advice would to never buy any, and pitch any of these cases you pick up at the range.

Big Al
Old January 23, 2005, 11:00 PM   #4
PhotoRecon

The A-Merc we encountered had undersized bullets and extra thick brass at the casemouth. When we tried to reload it with .452" bullets the brass would bulge well past the SAAMI maximum. The boxes have changed to cardboard with pictures of ammunition. What is inside doesn't appear to have changed.

Old January 24, 2005, 03:27 PM   #5
knightkrawler00

I never had a problem with A-Merc brass chambering in my Springfield. But after two primers fell out somewhere betwen loading and shooting, I quit using it. I only loaded about 100 of them in one batch, and heard of this from quite a few people. It now goes in the trash whenever I see it.
Old January 24, 2005, 04:26 PM   #6
jerryd

Trash can Ammo! Primers wont stay in, rim to thick, wont function in all my pistols! They are part of IMI isreal military Ind. which makes TZZ ammo, now that is good stuff!!! Keep that i have had some for about 15 reloads, excellent!!!
Old January 24, 2005, 04:37 PM   #7
LdyAtavist

Trash it...

I always carefully sort my brass to get rid of Amerc brass. Primers fall out of it when it is factory new, so I certainly don't want to use it for reloads.
Old January 25, 2005, 02:13 AM   #8
SnWnMe

When I primed my first range pick up A-Merc, I KNEW something was wrong. Primer went right in with no "feel". Likewise I trash em when I find em in my pick ups.
Old January 25, 2005, 08:30 AM   #9
Master Blaster

Amerc= garbage throw it away.
Old January 26, 2005, 01:25 AM   #10
redrooster2

Trash the Amerc --- it's not worth the effort.
Old January 27, 2005, 02:12 PM   #11
Sam Adams

jerryd

Quote:
They are part of IMI isreal military Ind. which makes TZZ ammo, now that is good stuff!!! Keep that i have had some for about 15 reloads, excellent!!!
A-Merc is NOT, repeat NOT, made by IMI. Check out the following:
A-MERC American Ammunition Co., 3545 NW 71st St, Miami, FL 33147 USA

http://cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm

I've used IMI products ranging from Q3131A Winchester .223 to Hansen ammo to Samson ammo, to new cases ordered from various sources, and ALL of it is of the highest quality - this means both the cases and the rounds of ammo. A-merc is total crap - throw it in the trash can.

"Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American." Tench Coxe 2/20/1788

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands, which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams

"Love work, hate domination, and do not let your name come to the attention of the ruling powers."
-- The Talmud, "Sayings of the Fathers"
Old January 27, 2005, 04:31 PM   #12
PhotoRecon

http://www.a-merc.com/partners.htm

A-Merc and IMI have formed a partnership.

It is rumored that A-Merc will be using some IMI components in A-Merc ammunition as part of the partnership. I presume IMI will continue to produce all of its own product or at least I hope they do.
Old January 29, 2005, 12:15 AM   #13
IronLance

Echo of all the other posts: A-Merc isn't even worth looking at except when culling it out of your good stuff.

In addition to over large primer pockets, you'll find that a lot of the cases the flash hole will be off center. A few times I reloaded brass I hadn't checked and thought I'd broken my decapping pin after hitting an A-Merc case.

Wayde
Old February 28, 2005, 08:50 PM   #14
ltcjmb

Crush it

A-Merc is bad stuff.
Cases too long to chamber even on brand new stuff.
Be safe and get rid of it permanently.
Old March 1, 2005, 08:36 AM   #15
Bass Man

Rod,

What range do you shoot on. I found a few A-Merc 40 S&W at the range near Pleasant Hope. I picked up several hundred 9mm and 40 S&W and a few 45 auto and found 4-5 A-Merc 40s. I guess I'll throw those in the scrap brass bag.
Old March 1, 2005, 03:48 PM   #16
G56

IMI is selling some bullets to American Ammunition, IMI bullets are fine, but when you put them in Amerc's junk brass and careless loading procedures you still have junk ammo. Putting a pretty pink bow on junk doesn't change the junk that's underneath.

The rounds assembled with IMI manufactured bullets include:

9mm 115 gr DI-CUT
9mm 115gr EX-STAR
9mm 95gr JSP-FN
9mm 158gr SUBSONIC
.38 spl 125gr JHP
.45 auto 185gr FMJ-SWC
223 (5.56) REM 62gr SS109

http://www.imisammo.co.il/news.htm