The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 10, 2002, 02:31 PM   #1
DARTH 44

Two questions-the history of shotguns

1.What was the first double barreled shotgun equipped with
automatic ejectors,and what year was it introduced?

2.I`ve always thought Winchester `97 was the first pump
action shotgun.....until I saw photo of a pump signed
"Stevens Model 1882"I`d like some info this gun.
Years of manufacture,gauges,capacity,sumtin`bout its
ruggedness and reliability if possible.

Regards
Old November 10, 2002, 03:22 PM   #2
Jim Watson

1. W.W. Greener said the J. Needham was the first ejector double, in 1874. Most other ejector systems were developments of the Needham design.

2. The Spencer is usually said to be the first pump shotgun, model of 1882. Mostly 12 gauge, a few 10s. I don't know the capacity for sure, probably five or six. Reports of its serviceability vary. It was certainly not up to the Winchester, and only lasted until 1887 when the company folded. Bannerman sold the remaining inventory while it lasted. Winchester first brought out a Browning - design pump in 1893. It was upgraded into the 1897.

I find no mention of an 1882 Stevens. Could there be confusion with the Spencer? It was a "hammerless" gun with a release lever that looked like a reversed trigger in the front of the trigger guard. The foreend-pump handle was very small. The first Stevens pump I could find was the Model 200 of 1910.
Old November 11, 2002, 11:58 AM   #3
brownlow

Or, if you really want, do some research for a Lever-Action Shotgun.

Model 1887 and 1901 designed by JWB.

I'm still waiting for the replicas to come out, though I've seen a few originals.

WGBV
Old November 12, 2002, 04:17 PM   #4
DARTH 44

I called my buddy(btw,he`s who showed me the photo)to make
sure what shotgun that was.
That was Spencer indeed!
I`ve been gunnut since I was 12,and I made such a stupid
mistake!
Seems I had some kind of "brain eclipse"

As to lever action shotguns,I`ve read the Winnie`87 had
fragile i.e. breakable mainspring,and that it was corrected in the
10ga model 1901.Did they go to coil spring or redesigned the
whole internal mechanism?

Oh! Thanks for the replies
Regards
Old November 12, 2002, 04:20 PM   #5
DARTH 44

One more thing.If there were ejector doubles available in
19th century,why aren`t they allowed in CAS?
Old November 12, 2002, 04:26 PM   #6
Jim Watson

I think the reason CAS does not allow ejector DB shotguns was that the Wild Bunch considers it unlikely that many such guns could have made it from the Old World to the Wild West during the Frontier Era. And that the few that did would have been too expensive for a cowboy to afford.

But they liked the movie so much that they named themselves for it and so have to allow pumps, which were not available until the West was somewhat less wild.
Old November 13, 2002, 03:18 PM   #7
brownlow

The problems within the original 1887 were (mostly) solved in the 1901. They had to do with the reliability and durability with the internal mechanism. However, they were only made in 10 ga.

The problems have been solved by metalurgy, which as you can guess, has improved in the past 100 years.

The replica guns are being made in 12 ga, but to the same (proportional) specs as the 1901.

The guns themselves are great, you can drop two shells in the top, close the lever and it will chamber one and slide the other in the mag.

They are 4+1 if memory serves.

WGBV
Old November 24, 2002, 10:20 AM   #8
DARTH 44

Interesing info.
Thanks.

As to the Winchester 1901 (10ga) I think to be a 4+1 it must
have had chamber somewhat shorter than today`s 3,5".
I suppose the 1901 fired 3" or even 2 7/8" shells.
Whatcha think?