The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 28, 2001, 12:45 AM   #1
Dave R

Pass Shooting Sequel: got 3

Thanks for the pass shooting tips. Went again today, same place, same flying patterns, and got 3. Things that changed:

1) Swing-through lead. Thanks for the tip.

2) Faster (commercial) load. 1500fps 3" Fasteel BB's. Kinetic energy increases with the square of velocity...

3) Full (steel) choke.

I missed with my first half-box of shells. Then changed from Mod choke to full (steel) choke. As I was changing, I told my buddy "I'm doing this for you. I know a big vic will fly over low while I'm changing. You can get 'em". Not quite true. I got the choke in just as the vic showed up. First one I shot at after the choke change folded & fell. The rest of the box accounted for two more.

My next box was 2 3/4 PMC BB's running at 1300fps. I don't know if that threw my lead off, or if they just had less reach, but I went through that box with no hits.

Its more fun when you bring home ducks. I'll probably try again tomorrow or next day.
Old December 28, 2001, 06:54 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Glad to help, Dave. Pattern that thing with your other ammo and do yourself and the geese a favor.

Good luck and good shooting....
Old December 28, 2001, 09:11 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

You know the deal about patterning? What you want is a spread of shot that's even. No "holes" in the pattern, that a bird could fly through without being hit.

Not all brands, or shot sizes, or power/velocities will "do right" in any given gun. Choke will affect some "perfect" patterning load.

The ideal is butcher paper and a "bob-war" fence. Get various shells, back off to 30 yards, and shoot and look at the holes. WRITE IT DOWN as to the best loads/chokes. It's a PITA, but it beats banging away for nuthin' but tail-feathers.

, Art