The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 20, 2015, 11:12 PM   #1
Cosmodragoon

PX4 Storm vs USP in .40?

Between the full-size PX4 Storm and the USP in .40, which is the better gun?

Yeah, I know it's subjective. Yes, I know they are both great guns. Of course, I'd love to own both but can't afford it. Sure, the USP costs more but I'd soak up a hundo of that difference right off the bat by fitting the PX4 with "stealth levers" and a conversion to G Type. (So no need to discuss those ludicrous "bat wing" safety levers.)

While I'm curious about all the differences--whatever you love and hate between them--I'm especially interested in recoil differences between the USP's buffer system and the PX4's rotating barrel system. It's not that I hate recoil per se but there's something specific in the way .40 snaps that makes it less fun than .45acp or other calibers I enjoy shooting. Both of these pistols get high marks when it comes to mitigating it. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to try before I buy. So let's hear it!
Old March 21, 2015, 05:32 AM   #2
kcub

I've heard good things about the Beretta but have no experience. I do have USP experience and recommend it highly. If nothing else, it definitely wins in the looks department.

Old March 21, 2015, 07:46 AM   #3
jasmith85

I love my PX4. In fact, I loved it so much I own multiple PX4's in different calibers and sizes. The only one I have in .40 S&W is a compact, and the recoil doesn't seem bad at all. I can't say if you would feel the same way about its recoil though, because I am usually not very recoil sensitive. The Springfield XD is the only gun I have ever shot in .40 that I can say I found the recoil uncomfortable with.

Also, if you look around you may be able to find a factory Type G. I can't guarantee they sell them in .40 S&W in the US, but my full size .45 is a factory Type G.
Old March 21, 2015, 09:22 AM   #4
Uncle Malice

I would take the USP over the PX4 every time.

I actually really wanted to like the PX4. The ergonomics feel good in hand, but the trigger and controls really didn't do it for me. I hate the slide mounted safety and the trigger was very heavy and gritty in DA mode. The SA wasn't terrible, but it wasn't what I would have expected from a gun in that class.

For me to say that the PX4 DA was bad... and that I prefer a factory USP trigger to it... should tell you something. lol. I freely admit that NEW USP triggers are usually not very good. But what I've found after owning them for quite a while and shooting them a bunch is that the trigger gets VERY good over time. You can also drop in the Match trigger kit which makes it even better. My USP match trigger after about 1,000 rounds became easily on par with my P226 trigger with SRT kit and Gray Guns P-SPIT trigger.

So without question, my vote here is for the USP.
Old March 21, 2015, 10:38 AM   #5
Madball6

I'll vote for the PX4, fits my hand well and recoil is pretty soft. while not a target gun, mine is very accurate for a carry gun. As a side note, I will not use the mags without the pinky extension, so if you are like me, you'll have to add in some extra mag cost,
Old March 21, 2015, 11:40 AM   #6
dgludwig

I have no experience with the PX4 but I've owned a USP 40 since 1994 and have been completely satisfied with the pistol. I especially like the flexibility the pistol offers; for instance, being able to carry it "cocked and locked" or in da mode via the safety/decocker.
Old March 21, 2015, 01:14 PM   #7
softmentor

H&K USP 40 for sure.
but I have only very limited experience with the PX4. shot a friends for 20 rounds.
I own 2 usp 40's and I totally love them. I have not felt any other 40 that had as good a recoil reduction but that is very difficult to quantify, it is subjective feel.
and since the usp is the gun I shoot all the time, I am just comfortable with it. Pretty much, any more, any other gun in my hand just doesn't feel as good. Like a good leather glove I guess. Just an old guy stuck in my HK rut. REALLY nice rut though
Old March 22, 2015, 12:14 AM   #8
Cosmodragoon

It looks like you can upgrade the PX4 with USP-like recoil systems from Sprinco or DPM. Reviews seem mostly positive, with a little more love for the Sprinco. Anyone try these?
Old March 22, 2015, 07:00 AM   #9
mete

Upgrade the PX4 recoil system ? I've seen many comments criticizing the rotating barrel system of the Beretta. It's not new , it's been around for 100 years !!!
Old March 22, 2015, 10:01 AM   #10
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Upgrade the PX4 recoil system ? I've seen many comments criticizing the rotating barrel system of the Beretta. It's not new , it's been around for 100 years !!!
I wouldn't criticize the rotating barrel. Supposedly, it dissipates some of the recoil energy radially and that's why some people find it to be a softer or better shooter. I read that it uses a plastic guide rod and basic spring. The idea behind this upgrade is to swap it out for a metal guide rod with a multi-spring system that helps to spread out the recoil. It theoretically reduces stress on the gun and prolongs its life.
Old March 22, 2015, 07:48 PM   #11
mete

There are two types of rotating barrel systems --locked breach and delayed blowback. Other systems have the same situation.
A Remington M51 [the old one ] is delayed blowback and the CZ24 is locked breach.Both weigh the same , as does the blowback Mauser HSc . Felt recoil is [lightest to heaviest] M51, CZ24, and HSc !! No question , you can feel the difference ! Recoil energy is the same but felt recail very different.
Old March 23, 2015, 12:39 AM   #12
zachwsu

I have owned both pistols in .40 and shot them extensively. As far as perceived recoil, I would say its a wash. In my opinion, these are among the softest shooting pistols available. I would hold a USP if you haven't before purchasing, it is large and blocky, not fitting every hand. Whereas the berrata comes with the now standard interchangeable back straps, so you can customize. Mag capacity goes to the beretta. You can buy extended mags which hold 17 rds (nice!!!), whereas the hk mags only hold 12 rds (maybe 14...). Mags for the beretta are also cheaper. My major grief with px4 was the bat wings, but sounds like you got that already figured. Given the price distance, my vote goes to the Beretta.
Old March 23, 2015, 05:56 AM   #13
Uncle Malice

Quote:
whereas the hk mags only hold 12 rds
....or 16 rounds with extended jet funnel mags....
Old March 23, 2015, 09:26 AM   #14
zachwsu

Nice!! Didn't know about the HK extended mags. So standard capacity for the Beretta is 14rds and 13 for USP. Extended is 17rds for Beretta and 16 for HK. Berettas extended work with the gun out ta factory where's for the HK you have to by a jet funnel adapter first ($75). The extended mags for the HK are pretty steep, $70-80.
Old March 23, 2015, 04:18 PM   #15
Que

As I just divested myself of my PX4 .40 and have no intention on parting with my 1994 USP Full in .40 (with jet funnel) I guess I just answered a similar question. I find myself moving away from .40 towards 9mm and .45 which have always been my favorites. I am keeping the USP .40 and my Steyr MA1 in .40/.357 as I do value .40 to a certain degree. Had the PX4 been in 9 or 45 I would still own it. Getting rid of it wasn't about the gun itself but more about the caliber. Overall I think that the PX4 is an underrated and often overlooked pistol, one that I'm not finished with yet. The next good deal that I see on one in 9 or 45 may well come home with me. While my PX4 was the full size I would consider the compact. The subcompact not so much. Been there, done that.
Old March 25, 2015, 12:29 AM   #16
Mosin44az

I have owned the Beretta Px4 in .40, in its original size, and own an HK USP Compact in .40.

Both are excellent guns. I sold the Beretta because I could not handle the DA pull properly even with the smallest backstrap--my trigger finger is just a bit too short, and the pull weight a bit too heavy. Everything DA went right or down.

But a superb gun otherwise, nicely made, perfectly reliable through hundreds of rounds. You are right to think of converting it to "G" mode. Recoil is not a problem, it is one of the most comfortable .40s to shoot. I wouldn't bother with those aftermarket recoil spring kits.

Though it has been a couple of years since the Px4, I would say it recoils slightly LESS than my USP Compact. Neither is uncomfortable though.

To me the advantage of the USP series is you can get the Variant 1 which has the frame-mounted down-to-fire safety/decocker. This variant allows me to carry it cocked and locked, for a nice short initial trigger pull. The DA pull in the Compact USP is not much of a problem though, definitely better than the Px4, lighter and a bit shorter.

Last edited by Mosin44az; March 25, 2015 at 12:35 AM.

Tags
.40 , px4 , usp