The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 12, 2015, 07:32 AM   #1
Double Impact

Kydex holsters

Hello all

Do any of you have or know of an OWB kydex holster that really conceals very well?

Please reply with a link if you do.
Old February 12, 2015, 08:10 AM   #2
WVsig

http://www.rcsquickship.com/

Old February 12, 2015, 10:24 AM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

I have a Raven Concealment Phantom. It conceals pretty well for OWB, but I'm not sure I'd say "very" well. I like it, but there's one thing that bugs me: It's large enough in surface area that, when worn at 3:30, it covers part of my back pocket, which makes it difficult to get my wallet out. I haven't had contact with LE while using it, but if I do, I'd really like to be able to promptly hand over my CHCL. . . which is in my wallet.
Old February 12, 2015, 11:29 AM   #4
WVsig

Yeah I would not say that it conceals great, no owb kydek does IMHO, but the Raven is better than most.
Old February 12, 2015, 11:41 AM   #5
Don P

Quote:
I have a Raven Concealment Phantom. It conceals pretty well for OWB, but I'm not sure I'd say "very" well. I like it, but there's one thing that bugs me: It's large enough in surface area that, when worn at 3:30, it covers part of my back pocket, which makes it difficult to get my wallet out. I haven't had contact with LE while using it, but if I do, I'd really like to be able to promptly hand over my CHCL. . . which is in my wallet
Left back pocket is an option couldn't resist
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 12, 2015, 12:49 PM   #6
HYDRAholsters

Hey Bud, I make more high end holsters but if you want check me out, I would happily help you. Any holster I make is made specific to the individual. here is a link to reference some of my designs.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/HYDRAholsters
Old February 12, 2015, 01:12 PM   #7
JimDandy

Quote:
I haven't had contact with LE while using it, but if I do, I'd really like to be able to promptly hand over my CHCL. . . which is in my wallet.
Mine is too, but I wouldn't "promptly" reach for anything in my back pocket until they ask me to, and I tell them what I've got where and that I'm reaching for it.
Old February 12, 2015, 03:00 PM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don P
Left back pocket is an option couldn't resist
I dunno. Been carrying my wallet in my right back pocket for >25 years now, don't know that I can handle such a massive change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDandy
Mine is too, but I wouldn't "promptly" reach for anything in my back pocket until they ask me to, and I tell them what I've got where and that I'm reaching for it.
Good point. I was thinking about having my DL and CHCL in my hand before the officer approached the car. In any event, digging around and fumbling while the officer walks up seems like a bad plan.
Old February 12, 2015, 03:35 PM   #9
JimDandy

Ahh I was thinking random street encounter as I always thought a car made a hell of an effective cover garment.

In which case the Ayoob method of DL and CCW together to notify without having to say the word "gun" is a good plan.
Old February 12, 2015, 04:34 PM   #10
Sharkbite

Ive been on both sides of that street. Been pulled over a cpl times since i stopped carrying a badge. I Guess i still drive like a cop

Heres what i do. Upon seeing the red and blues behind me, i turn on my interior lights (if its after dark) and roll down all the windows (tinted GMC Yukon, so its hard to see into). Both hands on the wheel at 10 and 2.

Upon the officers approach (either side, doesn't matter) He will ask for DL, Reg and Ins. My response is alway the same "scripted" answer..."Absolutely, but before i do that i have to tell you i have a PERMIT (i stress this word) and am carrying a firearm. What would you like me to do?"

Irrespective of whether your state requires you to inform, its a GOOD WAY to start the traffic stop. He now knows you are probably not a dirtbag.

Every officer ive dealt with this way has responded favorably to this info. Most ask where the gun is (rt side waist band) and a cpl joked that as long as i didnt pull mine... They wouldnt pull theirs

Some have asked to see the permit, some dont care to see it. Either way with a friendly and professional sharing of the info everybody is happy
Old February 12, 2015, 08:45 PM   #11
JimDandy

To get this somewhat back on topic of the OP, he asked for OWB, but Spats, have you tried your Raven IWB? They make that innie/outie hybrid right? You just change the mounting hardware? Curious how well that works, At times the stiff leather of my Kramer pokes me in the cheek til I'm a little sore, and I wonder if the Kydex is better or worse.
Old February 12, 2015, 08:48 PM   #12
Rattlehead

I'll throw in another vote for Raven.
Old February 12, 2015, 11:53 PM   #13
colbad

Just got a deal off Ebay on a Blueridge Holster Company (google it) hybrid. Its a kydex holster with stiff leather for the belt loops. Very well made. Works pretty slick and not quite as unforgiving or rigid as a regular kydex. Will put it through its paces tomorrow for qualifications.

So many guys are making kydex holsters in their garages these days, the quality really varies. As such, I was a little leary about buying on line w/o trying it, but for an ebay "like new" for $30 shipped (less than half normal price) I gave it a shot. So far I like what I got.
Old February 13, 2015, 12:48 AM   #14
Tony C

Colbad

thanks for the lead on Blueridge Holster Company, they look good. Was looking for a holster for my next pistol.
Old February 13, 2015, 10:42 AM   #15
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDandy
To get this somewhat back on topic of the OP, he asked for OWB, but Spats, have you tried your Raven IWB? They make that innie/outie hybrid right? You just change the mounting hardware? Curious how well that works, At times the stiff leather of my Kramer pokes me in the cheek til I'm a little sore, and I wonder if the Kydex is better or worse.
Ummm, no. I hadn't even thought of that. I may have to give that a try, though. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old February 13, 2015, 07:02 PM   #16
colbad

Took my new Blue Ridge kydex holster to the range today for qualifications. Fits very tight to the side, no wobble and holds gun great. I am pretty happy with my $30 ebay find!! Would definitely recommend even at full price of $60 is I would buy Also, holds all my Glocks in same holster except for that fat .45 G30. Interchangeable for G22, 27, 19, 17, 23 .... the longer ones just stick out the bottom more.

Last edited by colbad; February 13, 2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old February 16, 2015, 06:02 PM   #17
Tahmail

Which model did you choose?
Old February 16, 2015, 06:20 PM   #18
Microgunner

Bravo Concealment.
The ones I own conceal very well.
Old February 16, 2015, 10:52 PM   #19
colbad

Urban EDC Hybrid. Pretty comfortable for a Kydex and seem very concealable for an OWB.
Old February 18, 2015, 09:47 PM   #20
Shadi Khalil

For OWB I use one of these...

http://www.bravoconcealment.com/coll...ex-gun-holster

I'm waiting on one of these...

http://www.bravoconcealment.com/prod...er-dg2-holster
Old February 19, 2015, 11:57 AM   #21
revoconcepts

Concealing a gun OWB depends somewhat on the gun you are carrying. Our OWB holsters conceal very well. I can carry a Glock 21 with WML outside waistband with a hooded sweatshirt for concealment with little to no printing. I am 5'7" and 180 pounds. The holsters cant is what affects your concealment the most.

This is our most popular holster for OWB concealed carry

15% off with WEBGRAND ends Friday at 11:59 Central Time

www.revolution-concepts.com