The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 2, 2011, 08:35 PM   #1
gilfo

Suggestions for a 20 guage

Looking for a light weight, inexpensive semi-auto pistol grip 20 guage shotgun. Do they exist?
Any suggestions welcomed
Old February 2, 2011, 08:52 PM   #2
PetahW

Yep

Franchi AL-48 20ga, 5-1/2 lbs, 5-shot, PG stock, 24", 26", or 28" VR barrels available, newer guns have choke tubes, older fixed chokes - about $400 excellent/used, $650 new.

Old February 2, 2011, 09:26 PM   #3
pabuckslayer08

That Franchi is a real nice gun that will shoot great, however if you really want pistol grip I cant think of any factory 20gauge guns. It wouldnt be a issue to buy say a 11-87 then buy the pistol grip for it, Remington is the only one I can even think of that you could do that with. That would run you somewhere 700-800 I would beleive which is getting up there but it would be a great gun
Old February 3, 2011, 10:00 AM   #4
Cary

One other gun you should look at is the Mossberg SA-20. I don't own one but I have read some favorable reviews from those that do. Here is a link for you.
http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...ction=products
It comes in a full size model and a Bantam model for smaller shooters.
Cary
Old February 3, 2011, 02:27 PM   #5
dgludwig

Quote:
That Franchi is a real nice gun that will shoot great, however if you really want pistol grip I cant think of any factory 20gauge guns.
I've learned over time that the term "pistol grip" apparently has a different meaning for different people and I think it's pretty much a "generational" gap. For older folks, the Franchi 20 gauge, semi-auto as suggested by PetahW has a pistol grip. To some, if not most, younger shooters the term "pistol grip" refers to the style of grip (like the one that comes with AR-15s, etc.) that is found on some "tactical" shotguns. But pistol grips have been on shotguns from the very beginning and the term "pistol grip" was often used to distinguish it from a "straight" or "English" style grip.
Old February 3, 2011, 02:42 PM   #6
Ludarue

I can't think of any semi 20 guage pistol grip shotties out there. You could buy a semi 20 gauge and add a pistol grip to it. There is also a 870 pump 20 gauge with pistol grip. Which is more important to you? It being a semi or having a pistol grip I guess.
Old February 3, 2011, 04:15 PM   #7
dgludwig

Did you read my post, Ludarue? There seems to be an ongoing misunderstanding as to just what constitutes a "pistol grip". PetahW did recommend a twenty gauge, semi-auto shotgun that has a pistol grip, at least as far as most older shooters are concerned. Pistol grips for many of us simply means the stock of a shotgun is not a straight-gripped one but rather is configured with a "pistol grip". No right or wrong here; it's a matter of semantics as it relates to nomenclature and, as I opined in my earlier post, our individual understanding of the term "pistol grip" as it applies to shotgun stocks probably has much to do with how old we are as it does anything else.
Old February 3, 2011, 04:47 PM   #8
pabuckslayer08

Ok, yes I know what you mean but its to the point for me where if I here pistol grip I mean pistol grip as most newer guns all have what would have once been recognized as a pistol grip
Old February 3, 2011, 05:17 PM   #9
Ludarue

Yes I read your post dgludwig, and I understood what you were saying with the differences between the meaning of pistol grips. I guess I just assumed that the OP meant what you could say the younger generation of the meaning pistol grip. He said if they even exist. Look at how many 20 gauge autoloaders have what you consider a pistol grip compared to what I would say is a pistol grip.

Almost all have this example:

And few have this example:

Sorry if it doesn't make sense. I'm trying to explain it the best way I can think of.
Old February 3, 2011, 05:42 PM   #10
dgludwig

Quote:
Sorry if it doesn't make sense. I'm trying to explain it the best way I can think of.
You're making sense (even though your photos didn't come up for me). It is a difficult thing to describe (without over-describing what I mean) but you seem to have a good handle (pun intended) on the distinction I was trying to make.
Old February 3, 2011, 06:07 PM   #11
jlwatts3

I have a Mossberg 500 20ga Persuader/Cruiser that came with a normal stock and pistol grips.
Old February 3, 2011, 10:51 PM   #12
Tupac Chopra

Mossberg has brand new, tactical version of the SA-20, with a short barrel, tactical stock with pistol grip. It's not on their website yet as of now but it can be seen in their new catalog/magazine that I've seen for sale on magazine racks.

Weatherby has their new SA-459 in 20 gauge, semi-auto, pistol grip.

http://weatherby.com/product/shotgun...to_tr/sa459_tr