The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 13, 2001, 04:44 AM   #1
ReserveCop

Has anyone used the Kershaw Black Out "Speed Knife"?

In a catalog I received, it says this knife opens faster than most swtichblades.

What do you think?

Thanks for your opinions.
Old March 13, 2001, 12:39 PM   #2
Bogie

I think I like my pockets, and my thighs and the general region therabouts, to be unperforated. It's bad enough that my CRKT M16 wants to come open occasionally...

It also gets change stuck in it.

Old March 13, 2001, 02:04 PM   #3
traitorjack

my brother has a similar Kershaw by Ken Onion; don't know what it's called but it looks pretty similar, and it has one of those powered assists. it's pretty quick. all you do is give it a little nudge with the thumb, and, after you open it just a little the spring dealie takes over. my brother has a little wrist flip that he incorporates into the move, which gives him an opening you'll miss if you blink. (I'd like one myself, but as it happens I usually carry a CRKT M-16-14, which occasionally likes to open a bit, now that you mention it, Bogie.)

Old March 14, 2001, 04:57 PM   #4
guerilla1138

Faster than most switchblades, yeah I would say possibly so.
One thing I have noticed is that using the thumbstud to open them could result in getting bit because you get it about halfway open and then BOOM the assist kicks in and the blade leaves from underneath your thumb, now what has almost happened to me with this a few times is that my thumb ends up almost resting on and pushing forward on the cutting edge, because i try to catch up with the blade.
Now in a combat situation where I would have to pull the blade and open it quickly I would be afraid of not thinking to control my thumb and I would end up striking the first blow unto myself.
Just my opinion tho.

I will stick with my emerson commander for now, I mean its open by the time its out of my pocket, so its basically open before you can even engage and auto.