The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 21, 2013, 10:48 AM   #1
Strazznah

Winchester AutoComp a bit dirty!?

I just got my Dillon 550b set up (not sure how I survived on a single stage press) and I have been reloading 45acp & 9mm with AutoComp. During a trip to the range I noticed that there is a large smoke cloud produced by both loads. Is this normal for AutoComp?

Can anyone suggest a good all-around powder for loading 45acp, 9mm, 38spl that is not super filthy?
Old August 21, 2013, 11:13 AM   #2
Hartblood

I find AutoComp on the dirty side also. I also have use True Blue which I find is a lot cleaner.
Old August 21, 2013, 11:25 AM   #3
totaldla

AutoComp is a very poor powder for 45acp until you load up past hodgdon's listed maximums. Works OK for 9mm and other higher pressure cartridges, but the 45acp is just too low pressure.
Old August 21, 2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Strazznah

I was actually getting great groups with the 45acp and autocomp (6.4gr I believe), just brutally dirty

Ramshot TrueBlue - Reading on other posts about this powder, is it true that magnum primers are needed to get all powder to burn?

any other suggetions for powders for 45acp, 9mm, 38spl?
Old August 21, 2013, 04:25 PM   #5

Strazznah, True Blue doesn't need a magnum primer until you start loading it in magnum revolver cases. True Blue is dense and a fine grained ball powder and very few powders meter as well. It is easily better as a "universal" type powder than Unique. In the reloaders lexicon, True Blue is still kinda new, even though I've been using it since 2001. Many reloaders just haven't tried it, and those that have usually become believers. I have used it for 9mm, .45 ACP and .38 Special. I've also used a good bit of it for .40 S&W and .357 Magnum loads for short barreled revolvers. It is capable of exceptional accuracy in all of these calibers. As far as loading multiple calibers with a single powder where good performance is still expected, it doesn't get any better than True Blue.
Old August 22, 2013, 03:00 PM   #6
WESHOOT2

9x19, 38 Special, 45 ACP

W231 (target)

Universal (medium power)

Power Pistol (accuracy, medium to high power)

others....

If I had to pick only one handgun powder to load 9x19, 9x21, 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 40 S&W, 400 CorBon, 41 Action Express, 44 Magnum, and 45 ACP I would choose Power Pistol.
But I don't; I stock at least twenty powders, for the same reason I own many different hammers, and screwdrivers, and you get the idea.....