The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 20, 2007, 10:45 PM   #1
Retiredatforty

Safe questions: combination/weight load

Hey all,

I've got two questions about safes, but couldn't find the answers in any other threads I searched. Please forgive if they've been covered before.

1. Can you change the combination in a lower end (Stack-On/Sentry/etc.) combination (dial) lock? I know you can with an electronic lock, but I've heard that the lower end electronic lock keypads tend to break after a few years. If my teenagers ever learned the combination to my safe, I'd like to be able to change it without having to call a locksmith. Can I do this myself with a dial lock?

2. Is there a rule of thumb on weight per square foot? In other words, if I put one of these things in my house, is my floor going to sag after awhile? I don't think a 250 pound cheapo safe would cause problems, but if I put a 2000 pound safe on the second floor of my wood framed home, is it going to come crashing down some day and kill someone? Not being a structural engineer, I don't know how much load a typical suburban home can take per square foot.

Thanks in advance!
Old August 24, 2007, 11:13 PM   #2
a1abdj

Quote:
1. Can you change the combination in a lower end (Stack-On/Sentry/etc.) combination (dial) lock? I know you can with an electronic lock, but I've heard that the lower end electronic lock keypads tend to break after a few years. If my teenagers ever learned the combination to my safe, I'd like to be able to change it without having to call a locksmith. Can I do this myself with a dial lock?
Sometimes. Most of these safes use a very simple direct entry lock that is not really designed to be changed. On some of these locks there are tricks you can use to alter the numbers. The combinations are not able to be set to specific numbers.

Some of these safes do use mechanical locks with a key change option. Although it is not rocket science, it is still not advisable to mess with any of these locks yourself. I have a boat in my driveway that was paid for by people who attempt to work on their own safes.

Quote:
2. Is there a rule of thumb on weight per square foot? In other words, if I put one of these things in my house, is my floor going to sag after awhile? I don't think a 250 pound cheapo safe would cause problems, but if I put a 2000 pound safe on the second floor of my wood framed home, is it going to come crashing down some day and kill someone? Not being a structural engineer, I don't know how much load a typical suburban home can take per square foot.
Building codes do exist that speicifically address this issue. Most gun safes exceed the load rating. I have installed many safes inside of homes, and will not put a safe exceeding 1,000 pounds onto the second floor unless it is new construction with supports designed for the safe. We limit first floor installations at 1,500 pounds.

It is always possible that floors will sag, and it is advisable to place the safe near a load bearing wall as opposed to the middle of the floor. I have never had any of my installations cause any problems.