The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 10, 1999, 03:53 AM   #1
45 Fan

Hi to the list:
I have a full size stainless Kimber with fixed sights and would like to install adjustable sights on the gun. My local gunsmith want's approx. $100.00 to install low mount Bomar sights but I am not sure which model Bomar is used for a low mount melted installation? Is it the plain BMCS or the BMCS2? Kimber will also install their own low mount sight for approx. the same money but I have no experience with this sigt. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to those who reply......45Fan
Old November 10, 1999, 04:45 AM   #2
oberkommando

You might find some input at tusseycustom.com I think he has price list and will help tell you which is mounted "melt" style if you ask by email I had a question and he responded fast. He did my 1911 with low mount novaks about 200 dollars (I think). 45 FOREVER.

Shot the Rest, Got the Best.
Old November 10, 1999, 06:14 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

45 Fan, either Bo-Mar can be melded. The one you choose can be based on a couple of different things. I like the BMCS-2 because the elevation screw is completely contained in the sight. The BMCS requires drilling and tapping the slide. The two need different sight heights with the BMCS using the lowest one. If that $100 is including the sight you should jump on it. I charge $80 plus the sight for low meld installations. George
Old November 10, 1999, 11:01 AM   #4
Bryan Whited

Why not put on the Chip McCormick sights?
They would be a push out the old sight and push in the new sight operation.
Also they are a copy of the Bo-mar.
Basically you would have the same result with less cost!
Old November 10, 1999, 08:00 PM   #5
Joe D

Bryan, to put the McCormick adj. sight into a fixed sight slide Kimber you must make two cuts. One is in front of the dovetail and a deeper cut at the rear of the slide. BTW George Bo-Mar makes a sight to replace the McCormick adj. one - BMCS-K