The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 29, 1999, 09:28 AM   #1
TaxPhd

I am looking for a free float tube for an Armalite M15A4 carbine, without much luck. Does anyone make a tube for this gun? I was told that the odd ball length of the hand guards was the problem.

Also, I'm not looking for an under the handgaurds tube, as this isn't a DCM gun. Rather, want a tube that completely replaces the handgaurds.

Is the installation of these a do it yourself project, or does it require a gunsmith?

Old November 3, 1999, 05:32 PM   #2
Wallew

TaxPhd,
Hope you meant either AR15 or M16. Yes, go to www.brownells.com and type in free floating handguards. Or you can all them at 515-623-5401 for tech support. In catalog #52, they list seven different manufacturers. Ranging from about $55 - $160. Whether or not they need gunsmithing or not depends on tube. Jim
Old November 7, 1999, 06:47 PM   #3
WalterGAII

I believe I answered this same question on ar15.com. Measure the distance required for the tube. I also recommend looking at the measurements given for the various tubes in Brownell's. I prefer the DPMS standard aluminum tube. It takes standard barrel nut wrenches, and is well-made. I hate the Hogue. If the space that you want to fill is a little longer than the DPMS, but not so much that it's unsightly, go ahead and get the DPMS. If the DPMS is too long, you can probably have it cut off and use Aluminum Black to reblack the cut edge.