The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 29, 2015, 11:59 PM   #1
bungiex88

Reloading for 222 savage 340

Reloading for my savage 340 in 222 caliber and wanted to get a very light bullet like a 35 grain. But I don't know my twist rate I've seen people say 340s were 14 and some said it was a 12. This gun will be for ground hogs and similar sized animals and the ocasional stray cat that pees on everything I own outside. Or what bullet would u suggest I was looking for a light bullet in order to push more fps.
Old May 30, 2015, 03:50 AM   #2
Longshot4

You can measure your twist rate with a cleaning rod and tight patch. Install lubed patch in rifling until the patch is in full contact with rifling. Mark the top of the cleaning rod at the chamber with a pencil. This mark is your reference to know when the rod has rotated one complete turn. Measure the distance from start to finish of the length the rod traveled and you have your twist rate. Example: When the rod travels one rotation. You measure the distance it traveled. If it traveled 12 inches the twist rate is 1 in 12. If it travels 14 inches the twist rate is 1 in 14.
My Rem. 700 in 222 has a 1:12 twist rate and shoots the smallest groups with 50gr. bullets.
Good Luck
Old May 30, 2015, 07:54 AM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

If you can get your hands on a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. It will tell you (who) bores what twist rate in their rifle barrels (depending on caliber.) BTW according to my resources your littl Savage 340s twist is a 1-in 14.

The only other different twist for for the 222 Remington was a 1-16 which was supplied in only one commercially built rifle that I know of.__ JC Higgins Model 52.
Old May 30, 2015, 08:58 AM   #4
603Country

I expect that you will be able to stabilize and shoot most of the small bullets that are of the standard cup and core style with a lead core. I'll recommend the Nosler 40 gr Ballistic Tip, which is what I use. I wanted a bullet that will fragment easily, to reduce chances of a ricochet. It ought to be extremely accurate in your rifle. H335 powder would be a good powder choice if you reload, or plan to do so.
Old May 30, 2015, 09:13 AM   #5
Jimro

The 222 Remington was never offered with a "tight twist" barrel that I know of, at least nothing tighter than 1:12.

Any standard lead core bullet 55gr and less should shoot very nicely from your Savage.

Jimro
Old May 30, 2015, 12:05 PM   #6
jdscholer

I just happen to have this group to show off, which might be right up your alley. I had purchased these little 35 gr. V-Max's for my 218 Bee, and just for the heck of it, stuck some of them over the same charge I had been using in my 222 for the forty grainers.

My rifle is a Rem 700, with 1/14 twist. Barrel has horrible throat erosion. This group wasn't a fluke, just the best of about four.

Trouble is, I haven't been able to find any more of these little pills in my area, or even in stock on line. jd
Old May 30, 2015, 03:46 PM   #7
Longshot4

I must admit that lately I seam to of had a occasional problem remembering. Perhaps it is that I have been known to forget things. Any way I just returned from my gun bench. I used a grease penile to mark my cleaning rod and found that my Rem. 700 vintage of about 1979 chambered in 222 rem. All factory parts has a 1:12 twist. Also it is a sweetheart at the range when shooting baby aspirins at 100 Yds. Although limited to just a few times. I haven't lost a friendly competition yet.
Old May 30, 2015, 05:07 PM   #8
jdscholer

Awrite, now you made me pull my rifle out and check it again. It's about the same vintage as yours I think, (#6546812), and in checking twist again, it's 1 in 14". AND now I've lost the cap on my sharpie, and I wanna know how you're gonna make that right. jd