The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 19, 2012, 06:27 PM   #1
Eazmo

help with win model 1907

My dad gave me an winchester model 1907
It was his dad's but he doesn't know the history of the gun.

serial numbers shows manufactured in 1921. The rifle is complete, but cambered in .351win which is obsolete

The receiver is pretty brown but the barrel still has decent bluing. wood looks original but forearm has hairline cracks running both sides of the barrel

Is this thing worth anything???????

Can it be re cambered to something more common and just shoot it?????

If i cant have it as a shooter does anyone buy these things????
Old February 19, 2012, 09:43 PM   #2
samsmix

DO NOT SELL IT. You will hate yourself later. I'm sure brass can be made from...something. Then you can shoot it. You can even use it as a deer rifle if you are hunting thick woods from a stand or jump shooting whitetails up close. It's not a real potent number, and was popular as a guards gun in prisons in the early 1900's.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old February 19, 2012, 11:02 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

.351 ammo is fairly easily made from .357 Magnum cases by trimming the rims to .410" and cutting extractor grooves. Those cases will be a bit short; if you want full length, use .357 Maximum brass and trim, though that brass is often hard to get now.

Jim
Old February 20, 2012, 12:24 AM   #4
SIGSHR

Nope, not worth anything. You can just send it to me c/o this forum.
All kidding aside, I saw .351 Winchester Self Loader ammunition listed on the Old Western Scrounger website.
Old February 20, 2012, 02:21 AM   #5
Scorch

They seem to sell for $400-$900-ish, but some of them get just flat out ridiculous on the price. There are some very clean ones selling for over $1000, some of them several times that.
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Win...n_id=100227164

Here's the ammo, $49.95 a box.
http://ows-ammo.com/store/index.php?...products_id=96
Old February 20, 2012, 07:14 PM   #6
PetahW

The ammo's aenemic, for anything except shooting humans - IIRC the guns were used by Prison Guards, etc.

Old February 20, 2012, 08:22 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I agree on the ammo, but quite a few were used in their time for deer hunting. Not much worse than hunting with lever actions in .32-20 or .38-40.

All those rifles were underpowered by today's standards, yet the old timers brought home a lot of venison. And of course, they were an early semi-auto with the magic Winchester name. The Remington Model 8 was both better and chambered for more powerful rounds, but it never got the "respect" it deserved.

Jim
Old February 21, 2012, 01:42 PM   #8
PetahW

[the old timers brought home a lot of venison.]

Yep - The deer back then weren't as eddikated as today's are, by bumblers grunting them every which way but dead, AND they didn't have to worry about the deer running onto posted land or over the hill where one of the hundred-or-so other hunters in the area would be only too glad to tag/drag.

Ah, well - enough nostalgia, for one day....................

Old February 21, 2012, 11:38 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

And people have gotten a lot tougher. At one time, a .32 S&W revolver was considered quite sufficient for personal defense or even for police use. But today, crooks have hides three times as thick as that on an old bull elephant, so folks have to carry at least a .500 S&W for protection against even a teenage street thug. Amazing, just amazing!!

Jim
Old February 22, 2012, 07:41 PM   #10
SPEMack618

But the weapon is still dangerous enough to be banned in California and MA.
Old February 22, 2012, 09:00 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

Isn't everything banned in CA and MA? People's Democratic Republics don't like armed citizens.

FWIW, cracked foreends are quite common on that whole Winchester series. The forward part of the bolt is a heavy weight that fits into the foreend. It is so massive that the foreend had to be made a hollow shell so thin that it can be cracked just by squeezing it in the hand.

I have seen those fixed using steel mesh in epoxy, but never did it myself.

Jim
Old February 25, 2012, 02:47 PM   #12
timgd

1907wsl

you can get new wood for your 1907 @www.Gunville.com page 5 of the cat.
Old April 11, 2012, 09:34 PM   #13
Coogs

I have one that is 94+%. Had it a few shows asking $800.00. some tire kickers, but that's all. There are one neat gun, though. Is the cocking piece on yours have kind of a "finger hook" on it or just a flat type button? The finger hook is a little rarer. Coogs.
Old April 11, 2012, 11:16 PM   #14
Jim Watson

Quote:
And people have gotten a lot tougher. At one time, a .32 S&W revolver was considered quite sufficient for personal defense or even for police use. But today, crooks have hides three times as thick as that on an old bull elephant, so folks have to carry at least a .500 S&W for protection against even a teenage street thug. Amazing, just amazing!!
I figure the difference is that when the .32 was popular, if you tagged a crook in the torso, he might get away from the scene but to die slowly of peritonitis.
Nowadays if you don't nail him DRT, he will get surgery and antibiotics courtesy of the taxpayers.
And in both eras, the criminals were aware of that, and were or were not deterred.
Old April 18, 2012, 09:33 PM   #15
Eazmo

Quote:
Is the cocking piece on yours have kind of a "finger hook" on it or just a flat type button? The finger hook is a little rarer. Coogs.
Mine just has the flat button.

cleaned it this week end with some bore tech cleaner and holly crap i bet i had 50 patches dark blue from all the copper in there but the rifle ling looks fantastic.

Were can i find more info on making reloads out of 357 cases?
bullets?
powders?
dies?
Load data?

Last edited by Eazmo; April 20, 2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old April 19, 2012, 02:12 PM   #16
mapsjanhere

Graf and Son has 35sl brass http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...productId/1144
Not cheap, but if all you want to do is try it out it might be worth it before you start messing with making your own.
Old April 23, 2012, 08:11 PM   #17
Eazmo

Quote:
Graf and Son has 35sl brass http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...productId/1144
Not cheap, but if all you want to do is try it out it might be worth it before you start messing with making your own.
can i use .35sl brass in .351sl gun??????
I really don't know this gun is older then i am
Old April 23, 2012, 11:00 PM   #18
mapsjanhere

do, wrong link http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...productId/1145, you needed one page over. Unfortunately that one is out of stock
Old April 26, 2012, 11:57 AM   #19
timgd

351wsl

Buffalo Arms sells loaded ammo for 33.00/20 also they make brass for reloading.