The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 4, 2013, 08:21 PM   #1
CaseO

Which gun should I keep?

I recently just opted to purchase my second gun that I will use for CC, and opted to go with a Gen 4 G19. I have been using a Jericho 941 (marked with the unique =Jericho 941=) comfortably for the past 15 months, but recently the weight has become a problem since it's in the mid 80's down here in Florida; lighter clothes means my holster weighs my shorts down to my damn ankles.

Since the Jericho was my first gun, I'm having a tough time making this decision. I've been carrying it for the past 1+ year, and have had to use it in an unfortunate attempted robbery incident at a friend's house (fired a "warning shot" about a foot to his left; thankfully I've been shooting since I was 5 and am a good shot...who could imagine the amount of questioning I'd have to go through had I shot to kill?). It's amazingly accurate, and after 5,000 rounds has not had a single FTF or FTE or any other type of malfunction.

I just bought a Gen 4 Glock 19, and the time has come for me to make the decision of Do I keep my Jericho, or use the much lighter Glock 19 and sell my very first handgun? If I got rid of the Jericho there would be a brief period of bumming, since it's akin to your first "legitimate" heartbreak, but I'd eventually get over it. There are weight and conceal-ability advantages that come with the G19, but Glocks are a dime-a-dozen, while KBI imported Jericho 941's are so rare they might as well be a novelty piece.

Thanks in advance for any opinions you might offer
Old April 4, 2013, 08:35 PM   #2
Nine the Ranger

I'm not sure I understand, is there a true reason you need to get rid of one? Or do.you just want to keep things simple?
Old April 4, 2013, 08:40 PM   #3
CaseO

Nine the Ranger,

I'm really just trying to find that ONE gun that I can use for home defense (goes without saying) and concealed carry. My roommate is the epitome of anti-guy, so convincing him and his paranoid girlfriend to let me have [I]one gun[I] in "their house" was a pain in the ass. Really just trying to get some thoughts on whether I should sell the Jericho and keep the G19 when it comes, or immediately sell the G19 since it's NIB, and keep the Jericho.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:44 PM   #4
Nine the Ranger

CaseO, given what you just said, I'd sell the G19, The Jericho is sentimental and that can't be replaced.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:57 PM   #5
mukwah

Re: Which gun should I keep?

Considering the firearms in question I would try my best to keep both if at all possible. If your roommate doesn't approve just get a lock box and hide it.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:57 PM   #6
Mr. James

I'm with the Ranger - buy low, sell never!

I'd keep both. Continue carrying that Jericho, if it's proven that reliable for you. I'm not that familiar with those, but it's based on an excellent design (I do have a CZ 75). Carry the G19 when it's hot, if that proves a more felicitous option for considerations of weight. Take to wearing cargo shorts, with a decent gun-belt and holster (these are absolute necessities, and well worth the initial investment).

Of course, the two pistols offer different ergonomics and manuals of arms, so practice, practice, practice.

If you really decide it's a one-or-the-other proposition, keep the Jericho. I'll sell my first handgun (a Smith & Wesson Model 66) when I need to buy a Chinese kidney. And, as you note, G19s are like Wonder Bread, Jerichos less so.

ETA: Welcome to thefiringline, CaseO.

EATA (Edited Again to Add): You fired a warning shot? Really? Yowza, dude, generally speaking, this is really not a great idea. And "shoot to kill"? If forced to, we shoot to stop, never to kill. Since that's not the subject of your post, I'm not going to flog this here.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat

Last edited by Mr. James; April 4, 2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old April 4, 2013, 09:17 PM   #7
Buzzcook

If you had an agreement with your roommates to only keep one gun, then why did you buy a second without answering this question?

Are you looking for an excuse to break your promise?

If your shorts slide down then perhaps you need a better belt.
Old April 4, 2013, 09:27 PM   #8
JWT

There are many things I cannot do. Getting rid of a gun is one of them.
Old April 4, 2013, 09:27 PM   #9
Mauser8mm

Never Sell!

Unless you are going through a financial crisis, take this advice...

NEVER SELL ANY OF YOUR GUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's better to be silent and called a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
Old April 4, 2013, 09:32 PM   #10
CaseO

Mr. James

He had what was clearly identifiable as a 1911, so a .45 doesn't exactly scream "just for show." Also, he was pointing his .45 right at me, so my life was clearly threatened; not going to take the time to make sure my shot is just to temporarily incapacitate him.

If I can convince my anti-gun roommate to let me keep both, I'd prefer to take that route haha.

ETA: Thanks for the welcome

Buzzcook,

I bought this one because I was going to keep it in my glovebox, so I wouldn't have to constantly remember to take me sure I had my Jericho with me instead of it being left in the nightstand (where I keep it while I'm sleeping).

Not trying to "break any promises", just trying to keep myself as safe as possible, especially when you consider I had to actually point a loaded gun at an armed robber with a .45 pointed back at me 8 months ago. Why that didn't make my roommate MORE apt to get a gun of his own is beyond me, but that's not my call to make.

ETA: I've been looking for a belt that actually accommodates my holster, and I've also been looking for a quality holster for my Jericho. Any help in the holster department?
Old April 4, 2013, 10:12 PM   #11
redhologram

I'd keep both guns, find new roommates. Then I would definitely be looking for a strong belt and holster for both guns.
Old April 4, 2013, 10:13 PM   #12
North East Redneck

1- keep both
2- find better roommates
3- if #2 isn't possible, refer to #1, and keep your mouth closed about it.

Just asking, a person drew down on you and you fired to miss? I'm sure you had/have your reasons, but I don't understand your actions. Not judging, but if someone points a gun at me, I don't believe a warning shot is deserved. And in fact a warning shot just may make you dead. I believe you are a lucky person. Why did the perp not return fire?
Old April 4, 2013, 10:24 PM   #13
CaseO

North East Redneck,

Can't tell you what was running through my head at that point; it was almost 3 in the morning and I was asleep (surprisingly) when I heard some loud noises coming from the front door.

I don't think he returned fire because, when he heard me cock the hammer, he was completely surprised that I had a gun drawn on him to begin with. Guessing as to why I shot to miss, but the surprise/fear he was showing when I pointed my gun at him must have convinced my conscience that he hadn't intended to harm me once he saw I was serious; he just pointed his gun at me out of fear.

Luckily, he hauled-ass out of the house when that shot hit about a foot directly to the left of his head. Don't think I could sleep for a few nights knowing that I killed a man.

AS FAR AS MY DILEMMA GOES, I'm leaning towards keeping both. Do you have any suggestions as to what holster I should buy that is the best for a Jericho 941? This holster business is actually quite annoying whenever hot weather comes around in Florida.
Old April 4, 2013, 10:53 PM   #14
dakota.potts

CaseO, I'd keep the Jericho if you know you're good with it and it feels right to you. You can always get another Glock.

By the way, where are you in Florida?
Old April 4, 2013, 10:56 PM   #15
CaseO

I've decided that I'll keep both and tell the roommate to shove it; I'm the one who was living there before he and his girlfriend moved in (two months after I did), so I don't know why those two consider it "their house." Whatever...

Anyway, I live in Orlando. Specifically, over by UCF (finishing up graduate degree there).
Old April 4, 2013, 11:09 PM   #16
Coyote Blue

If at all possible,keep them both. I have several bad memories about selling guns that I wished to have back within a fortnight.

From The Cleveland Press, March 1, 1921
Old April 5, 2013, 12:44 AM   #17
ZIA

I've never gotten rid of a gun that I've purchased but I guess if you can only keep 1 I'd keep the G19. I've put thousands of rounds through Glocks & I've never had a single problem. The 19 is my personal favorite.
Old April 5, 2013, 01:12 AM   #18
JimmyR

If able, keep both. I keep numerous guns largely for the sentimental value. I have bought, sold, and traded other guns, but some just stay with me. That's just how I operate.

If it becomes a question of keeping your gun and keeping a roof over your head, I would see if you could secure a saftey deposit box to keep the Jericho in at your local bank. If not, sell the Glock. Some things are more replaceable than others.
Old April 5, 2013, 01:50 AM   #19
NWPilgrim

Since you are planning to keep both (good decision BTW) I would look first for a holster for the G19. Every holster model is going to have a version made for the G19 so you will have much wider selection. And it is lighter. What I also like about the Glocks for concealed carry is they are well radiused and don't chafe or dig into your side. I did sand down a little the body side of the grip texture on my Gen 4 G27 to make it less aggressive against my skin. Or, just make sure to get a holster with a shield between the gun and you.

No matter which gun you sell, you (not your roommate) would take a financial loss, and for what, your roommate's irrational fears or political orientation? And you will regret selling either one I guarantee that.

People are far more dangerous than guns, so unless your roommate allows you to veto his guest/visitor list then he has no business as to what you own or do as long as it is legal and causes no disturbance. Hopefully he is not bringing anything illegal into the house like recreational drugs, or inviting people who do use drugs, or are involved in any criminal behavior. That would be far more of a concern than if you own or engage in legal activities. If for any reason he does not like what you do, then he is free to find lodging elsewhere, right? Was there any agreement when you moved in together about no guns allowed or is he making up rules as he goes?

Lastly, I live by the rule that if something is important enough for my survival, then I want redundancy. It seems when things go sideways many times "two is one and one is none" (aka, Mr. Murphy). You are wise to keep both pistols because if one has a problem for any reason that is sometimes just when you will need it the most (I swear machines have an anxiety detector embedded in them!).
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison