The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 5, 2013, 05:57 PM   #1
MLeake

Article tracking the path of a stolen gun

This is kind of interesting, particularly because though it appears in the typically anti-gun Orlando Sentinel (apparently borrowed from sister publication the Sun Sentinel), and while it tracks the crimes committed with a stolen gun, the gun tracked for the story was a Sheriff's Department issued Glock, stolen from a deputy's car...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...obref=obinsite

I was surprised to see that the featured gun was not something that would in any way have been kept away from criminals via background checks or waiting periods, and even more surprised to see the reporter would use a gun stolen from law enforcement for the article.
Old February 5, 2013, 06:30 PM   #2
USMC EOD

Wow, that is some story. I cannot imagine that anyone would read that and determine that the gun is the problem, not the people that misuse them. The gun is nothing more than a tool, and someone can use it for good or use it for bad. All the laws in place, or all of those imagined by the liberal elite could not have prevented any aspect of this story from happening any other way.
Old February 5, 2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Willie Sutton

Figures it was stolen from a cop. Too poetic.

But hey, don't forget that LEO's are more highly trained than the rest of us. That's why they are allowed to do things with their weapons that we are not allowed to do, like leaving their weapons in their cars at night, while we mortals are supposed to maintain custody of them at all times...

Sigh...

Willie

Old February 5, 2013, 07:52 PM   #4
Dr Big Bird PhD

+1 the quote below I got from the comment section of the article:

"The story of a car: License number ABC123
It is not an unusual story. This car is no different from thousands of other cars like it. This car, a 1994 Honda Accord, was purchased by an Accountant.
But it ultimately ended up in the wrong hands. This car was used in a kidnapping where a young couple lost their lives and it final stop was where it crashed into an SUV killing an entire family of six and a young couple in another car while being chased from a bank robbery by law enforcement.
Over 3 months this car traveled more than 5000 miles and touched at least a dozen lives in Miami in ways no one ever thought it would.
This car entered the world in 1994 but on the morning of Sept 15th, 2012 the Accountant called the cops. In the middle of the night someone smashed the window of the 1994 Honda Accord and stole the car.
3 months later while being chased by law enforcement after being used in a bank robbery it found its final stop in a multi-crash collision killing 10 people. As the families of the dead identified their family member one had to wonder how this could happen. How could so much death and despair come from a car stolen from a person's driveway?
Sad. Very sad. And if we could save even ONE life shouldn't we do that? So we must consider banning all vehicles. For the safety our children and neighbors."
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 6, 2013, 08:15 AM   #5
DaleA

Thank you Big Bird for posting the comment to the article.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:51 AM   #6
'88Scrat

Everything has a story; my 10/22 for instance:

2001 = Bought by an eager young man as his first rifle.

2001-2005 = Used along with the boys father to provide hours of fun plinking/varment hunting and learn safe gun handling practices.

2006 = Used to win Butler County 4-H rimfire rifle tournament.

2007-2008 = Used to provide more fun plinking at cans and the occasional soda bottle at a friends house.

2009 = Due to an incident while moving, boy must replace stock, safety, and magazine release. This experiance with amateur gunsmithing furthers the boys fascination with firearms and the work that goes into them.

2007-2012 = The 10/22 becomes the most affordable firearm to take to the local range while the boy is a broke college student.

2012-Present = 10s of thousands of rounds and almost a decade after purchasing the 10/22, as well as aquireing other more "fascinating" firearms such as an M1A EBR, Romanian AK-47, and Desert Eagle, the boy never forgets the little .22 rifle that provided him with so much enjoyment.

The future = The boy passes the rifle on to his son/daughter as their first rifle.