The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 19, 2012, 05:32 PM   #1
SC4006

How loud is a Mosin without hearing protection?

Just curious to how loud a Mosin Nagant, or any comparable rifle is without any hearing protection? Its not like i'll be shooting it without hearing protection often, but if I go hunting with it someday i'd at least like to know what to expect.
Old December 19, 2012, 05:44 PM   #2
SIGSHR

Loud enough to make you realize the value of hearing protection.
Old December 19, 2012, 05:51 PM   #3
JWT

Lot louder than it is with ear plugs, and that's loud enough for me. Don't need to try one without em.
Old December 19, 2012, 06:07 PM   #4
darkroommike

Plenty loud

I foolishly left me hearing protection in the car when I attended a cast bullet military shoot a while back, behind the line when the various .30's went off it was painful even using reduced cast target loads, further down the line was a Swede 6.5mm Mauser, much less noise.

Wear in ear protection when hunting, minimum.
Old December 19, 2012, 06:31 PM   #5
psycho nut

I'd consider it painful.
Old December 19, 2012, 07:53 PM   #6
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
The only thing you'll notice if you fire at game , is that your ears may ring for a little while , but you won't even hear the gun fire !
Old December 19, 2012, 09:10 PM   #7
boattale

What sap said. Hearing protection is de rigeur at the range. Not so in the field. As to how loud is your Mosin? Very loud indeed, loud enough to damage hearing with repeated exposure.
Old December 19, 2012, 11:50 PM   #8
tahunua001

it's mot overbearingly loud such as a 7mm or 300 magnum but still more than I would recommend without hearing. the carbine length nagants are also louder than the "pike length" guns.
Old December 20, 2012, 12:01 AM   #9
ripnbst

If you are taking it hunting I wouldn't even think about it. If you plan to shuck several rounds though it then yeah, in ear protection is required at a minimum.
Old December 20, 2012, 12:44 AM   #10
Romeo 33 Delta

Eye protection because God only gave you: Eyes, pair, one each.

Same goes for hearing: Drums, ear, pair, one each..

I have found that a little .25ACP will make your ears hurt ... not as much as the M2HB my TC insisted on shooting right next to where I sat while driving my M113A1 ... but you'll only regret a lack of precaution after you've lost or dadmaged your sight or hearing.
Old December 20, 2012, 04:36 AM   #11
Bamashooter

Dont do it. The ringing will last for days. Cheap earplugs will cost you a $1. Well worth it.
Old December 20, 2012, 05:35 AM   #12
trg42wraglefragle

If its really that important of an issue to you try firing a shot or two without protection at the range, it won't kill you.

I've shot plenty of big guns with no protection on a range and in the field, and one thing I've noticed when you are shooting at game I don't seem to get as effected buy it, as in it my ears may ring on the range but won't when shooting at game.
Old December 20, 2012, 07:15 AM   #13
Kreyzhorse

It is loud enough to cause hearing damage. During the hunt however, you won't even hear it go off.

I fire my hunting rifles a couple of times a year without hearing protection. I have certainly lost a small amount of hearing and i also getting older but I'm sure it is a combo of both.
Old December 20, 2012, 08:52 AM   #14
geetarman

When you hear the ringing. . .the damage has been done. Continued shooting without hearing protection will make it worse.

Medical science has not advanced to the point to repair your hearing.

Don't do it. The cost is for life. It is not worth it.

Carpe Cerveza
Old December 20, 2012, 08:56 AM   #15
shuler13

I dunno how loud. Never shot one without protection
Old December 20, 2012, 09:11 AM   #16
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by boattale
What sap said. Hearing protection is de rigeur at the range. Not so in the field. As to how loud is your Mosin? Very loud indeed, loud enough to damage hearing with repeated exposure.
This is silliness.

Listen up, fellas!

A SINGLE gunshot with unprotected ears can and has caused irreversible, permanent damage. I know. I did it, by accident.

The idea that you don't hear/notice/remember the shot when you're hunting is completely and utterly irrelevant. Your ears don't care what your brain perceives. Hearing damage is a PHYSICAL condition, like a broken leg. I could dope you up enough that you wouldn't know your leg was run over by a Mack truck too, but it would still be broken!

This is a medical/health issue and the misinformation posted on this forum needs to stop.

If you want to shoot without hearing protection, fine, have at it but DO NOT tell others that it's OK or will only do damage after "repeated" exposure. That is utter nonsense.

Electronic hearing protection can be had for under $30 today. It protects your hearing and ENHANCES your ability to hear game in the woods. Hunting or shooting without it is the height of foolishness.
Old December 20, 2012, 11:03 AM   #17
texgunner

I used to have an M44. I never shot it without hearing protection but at the range it would set of car alarms in the parking lot.
Old December 20, 2012, 12:13 PM   #18
SC4006

Thanks guys, I guess I won't be firing the 91/30 without hearing protection anytime soon. As for hunting I may look into a pair of some electronic ear muffs.
Old December 20, 2012, 07:35 PM   #19
bamaranger

What?
Old December 20, 2012, 07:39 PM   #20
tahunua001

if you can afford electronic earplugs then by all means buy them for hunting however for the 90% of us that can't afford them we hunt without ear plugs despite the danger that it poses to our hearing. the report from a 91/30 is no greater than a 30-06 or 223.
Old December 20, 2012, 08:25 PM   #21
boattale

I confess to hearing loss from too many really big guns going off. I also confess to spending a lifetime without hearing protection quail hunting, rabbit hunting, deer hunting, and duck hunting. I guess I've lived my life at the height of foolishness. Forgive me Brian. Or not. Just relating my experience.
Old December 20, 2012, 10:18 PM   #22
CCCLVII

My Son has gotten me in to shooting with a suppressor. I know that most hunting rounds are not subsonic but is still muffles the sound of the report. For hunting I feel that suppressors are great. I never wore hearing protection while hunting and now I regret it.

I wish I had known about suppressors when I was young. I am waiting for my 300 win-mag suppressor. Its wont make the gun "movie quiet" but it will make it so the gun wont make your ears ring.

Polite people to not want to disturb the neighbors when they hunt/shoot...
Old December 21, 2012, 01:34 AM   #23
jason_iowa

Use hearing protection while you are hunting. They make nice electronic ones so you can hear the beasties but not as much of the gun shot. Invest in them like your very sense of hearing depends on it.
Old December 21, 2012, 07:49 AM   #24
gman3

I used to think is was not important to use hearing protection when hunting either, but as I sit here in the quiet of my home enjoying TFL, I have the high pitched squealing in both of my ears to remind me that even though each single event of gunfire was not noticed during the rush of the hunt, the damage was done nevertheless. It is very annoying, and chronic, as well as permanent. It is the beginning of going deaf. You dont want to experience it. Dr. says not caused by anything other than years of exposure to gunfire. Please find some sort of hearing protection to use when firing high intensity rifle cartridges. As one of the staff already said, they are very loud, and can cause permanent hearing loss with just one shot.
Old December 21, 2012, 08:54 AM   #25
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahunua001 View Post
if you can afford electronic earplugs then by all means buy them for hunting however for the 90% of us that can't afford them we hunt without ear plugs despite the danger that it poses to our hearing. the report from a 91/30 is no greater than a 30-06 or 223.
Electronic muffs can be had for under $30. I have a pair that cost $25 at Dick's and they work great.