The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 7, 2001, 09:12 PM   #1
hunter

Rem 710

Has anyone else been having problems with Remington Md 710. Is there a lemon law for guns. I have one that has been back to the Warranty station 3-times now and it still has problems. 1st one the teflon sleeve had to be bored out, 2nd time the bolt lug had to be replaced, 3rd time the bolt lock had to be replaced and now once you try to load it you have to literally force the bolt to close. Instead of the gray color this one should be painted yellow.
Old October 7, 2001, 09:36 PM   #2
DeBee

I think Remington put the 710 out to boost the price and desirability of the current 700s both used and new for that matter...
Old October 8, 2001, 07:05 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Hunter, I haven't even seen a 710 except in pictures. But I have yet to hear from any 710 owner who was happy with it. George
Old October 9, 2001, 07:37 PM   #4
biganimal

went to the local shop to buy a 710, I pulled back the bolt and had to YANK it then it wouldn't stop, I pulled the darn thang clear out of the rifle. after trying 2 more I decided that I don't want one of these CHEAP rifles. this has to be the worst P.O.S. that I've ever held except for the jennings 22 pistol
Old October 12, 2001, 03:45 PM   #5
Will Beararms

I bought one for $318.00 NIB. I couldn't resist it. After the cursory initial cleaning, I left some Breakfree CLP in the area between the bolt and sleeve.

I took it to the range one day at lunch this week and the bolt travel was horrible but freed up a bit after 20 rounds of .30-06. The short bolt throw makes it bearable to deal with.

The one good thing I will say about this rifle from the vantage point of a died in the wool a-bolt user, the thing at least mine anyway is deadly accurate and has a very crisp trigger.

I was only shooting at 25 yards in an indoor range but every string I ran was nothing but one big hole and I love the trigger. I was using 150 grain Remington Core-lokt PSP.

I know with something like this you are taking a chance but so far I feel like I got a great value for the money. The beauty of the deal is I won't feel bad about dragging it through the thickets, pine fields and hardwood bottoms of South Arkansas or subjecting it to a rain-soaked day on the stand.
Old October 12, 2001, 05:47 PM   #6
johnwill

Well, Winchester was having trouble selling the Model 70 against the Remington 700, maybe the contrast with the 710 will help Winchester's sales volume.
Old October 23, 2001, 06:51 PM   #7
SteveK

IMHO The 710 is a plastic POS. If you don't want to spend the money on a Rem 700 or Win model 70 buy a Savage or CZ instead.