The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 7, 2014, 09:25 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

CASS guys... thinking of a pair of 51 conversion guns...

I'll still use my Rugers for everyday stuff, but lately have been getting into the open top conversions... I'm thinking a pair of 32-20 conversions for fancier shoots... I had a thread asking about 38 Long Colt a while back... but already have one conversion in 32-20... ( would be easier & cheaper ) to only make one more...

any issues with the 32-20 & CASS ???

what actually started this quest, was me thinking about getting a 32 H&R magnum Marlin, I already have a pair of Single Sixes ( just to keep around for company to use if they wanted to try CASS ) the 32 Mag levers cost more & are harder to get than 32-20 rifles... my builder buddy, said why not do another 32-20???

also some of the newer Marlins I'm seeing have a half magazine, so I'm guessing they don't hold 10 rounds... but there are lots of earlier Marlins & Winchesters in 32-20 with full length magazines...

if I did up a set of conversion revolvers, & a vintage rifle, I'd use them, & let the guests use my 45 Colt set up, or MRS 38 / 357 set up...

thoughts ???

BTW... I usually shoot classic cowboy class, using 45 Colt... I don't think I could shoot in that class with the 32-20, even though it is a "real" vintage cartridge in both handgun & rifle, where as the 45 Colt wasn't a normal rifle caliber

My current 32-20 ( with a 30 caliber barrel liner )... I'd either convert it back to 32 caliber, or make all 3 - 30 caliber barrels ) & trim the barrel back 2" for both revolvers...

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; April 7, 2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old April 7, 2014, 11:10 AM   #2
Fingers McGee

Howdy Magnum Wheel Man,

32-20 is a SASS legal caliber in all categories except Frontiersman (Cap and Ball revolver required) and Classic Cowboy (must be .40 caliber or larger or .36 percussion).

32-20 is an NCOWS legal caliber; and, from what I can see is authorized in all categories except Pistoleer (cap and ball or original rim fire revolvers required)

You'd definitely score some style points using 32-20 conversions.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; April 7, 2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old April 7, 2014, 03:10 PM   #3
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

The only thing to be aware of is if you have knockdown targets, the light 32-20 bullets might not knock them down.
Old April 7, 2014, 03:33 PM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

Local club uses knock downs on the shotgun stages, but just steel "hit" targets on the handgun & rifle portions...

with knock downs directing the impact up ( I can't tell you how many times I've been hit with shotgun pellets ) all the clubs steel targets are positioned to direct bullets downward...

are there still clubs that use a knock downs on the revolver & rifles ???
Old April 7, 2014, 03:54 PM   #5
ZVP

I've always wanted to try some .38 short Colts through my .357 Vaquero. I bet they're really soft shooters! I'd also like to shoot some thru my .38 Cobra Derringer!
I looked up the 38 Colt and the net shows 120-ish grain bullets for the cartrige. I gottqa find that info and calculate the M/E for the Cartrige. I know it'll be a lot less than a regular .38 Special q58 gr.
A buddy handloaded some low power 90 gr LRN bullet loads for my Derringer, They are kinda like "Super CB Caps" for the little 38!!! They still have a loud "crack" upon discharge but hardly any recoil! We never chronied them so we don't really know the M/E for them. I sure wouldn't stand in front of one because they really kick-up dust behind the target frame! They're still "real" bullets and would likely kill ya! I bet they turn up more energy than n origonql .41 RF does.
Back to the .36 Colt, I have only seen one box of em and they were over $40 at the shop.
Just gor historical sake I think I'm going to searvh out a reasonable priced box somewhere, and try em in my Cowboy guns!
Someday they won't be around anymore so I'd better start lookin!
Any concrete information on the .38 Short Colt would be appreciated!
ZVP
Old April 7, 2014, 09:10 PM   #6
Flatbush Harry

I really think the 1860 Army is the best looking, best pointing and, given the larger grip than that of the 1851 Navy, the perfect C&B for me. Accordingly, my first choice for open-tops is the Army Conversion but your choice is exquisite.

Good luck,

FH