The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 6, 2002, 09:30 PM   #1
stans

Need info on Colt 1903 Pocket 32

My mother recently inherited a Colt 1903 Pocket 32 ACP, serial number 338XXX, slide serial number is matching. It has 70 percent of the original blued finish remaining and some surface rust on the exterior. The interior is in excellent shape with very little wear, but the bore is heavily pitted. It appears to have been fired very little, but improperly cleaned and stored. I would like to know the year of manufacture, approximate value and whether or not it should be fitted with a better condition barrel for shooting, or should it be kept as a wall hanger. Thanks in advance.
Old April 7, 2002, 12:24 AM   #2
BADSBSNF81

Made in 1920. Made from 1903-1945. Over 572K made. At the high end of conditon it would be worth about 400-450. Based on your description value in the 250-275 range. Whether or not to put a new bbl in it is your call.
Old June 30, 2002, 09:32 PM   #3
Chuck Dye

Numrich has, at various times, had new barrels and many used parts for the 1903 Pocket Hammerless. There are three variants, each needs a different barrel. Numrich walks you throught the process, just pay attention. The pistol has a magazine safety that operates from an extension of the recoil spring guide. Many of the pistols have had the safety defeated by simply reversing the spring and guide-shoots fine either way. Take a look at yours and decide for yourself. I have not pursued the possibility, but I have been told by two gunsmiths that the 1903 can be switched from .32 ACP to .380ACP and back by changing the barrel and recoil spring and using the correct magazines. Could be worthwhile but definitely needs to be fully researched before firing the first round.
Old June 30, 2002, 09:38 PM   #4
Chuck Dye

Numrich has, at various times, has had new barrels and many used parts for the 1903 Pocket Hammerless. There are three variants, each needs a different barrel. Numrich walks you throught the process, just pay attention. The pistol has a magazine safety that operates from an extension of the recoil spring guide. Many of the pistols have had the safety defeated by simply reversing the spring and guide-shoots fine either way. Take a look at yours and decide for yourself. I have not pursued the possibility, but I have been told by two gunsmiths that the 1903 can be switched from .32 ACP to .380ACP and back by changing the barrel and recoil spring and using the correct magazines. Could be worthwhile but definitely needs to be fully researched before firing the first round.
Old July 1, 2002, 12:46 AM   #5
Archie

Try shooting it first.

It is sometimes amazing how accurate some pistols can be with a wretched looking barrel.

If the chamber is pitted badly, you may have reliability problems; sometimes they won't extract.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old July 2, 2002, 07:42 PM   #6
gagunner

According to R.L.Wilsons booklet your 32 collt hammerless was made in 1920.[1920 s/n 328000 start.1921 374000 start].It is what is concided a 2nd series which did not have a magizine safty.Gun parts did have barrels awhile back, don't know about now.Bought one about ten years ago to convert to 380.worked for me but the mag on the 380 is wider and a tight fit.T he way they made them then,tolerances with tight so it may or may not work.The NRA book on pistols has a good breakdown instructions. Hope this helps. B.H.