The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 22, 2009, 11:51 AM   #1
HankC1

Who has 1893 small ring mauser receiver?

I have a 1916 Spanish small ring (1893) mauser that I want to rebarrel but the barrel is very hard to remove. I figure it probably easier just buy a new receiver? Who has one? Any source? Will 1895 Chileno Mauser receiver work with Spanish 1893 mauser bolt and parts? There are 1894 Brazalian mauser receivers at Gunbroker, but 1894 has round bolt head instead of flat bottom bolt head as in 1893s.

Last edited by HankC1; August 22, 2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old August 23, 2009, 08:21 PM   #2
MountainBear

Location: Floating between Oregon and Alaska depending on the season...
Just chuck it up in a lathe (or have a gunsmith do it) and put a cut in the barrel just in front of the receiver ring. You don't need to (and in fact shouldn't) go all the way through. But the shouldering cut will make it easier to remove the barrel, especially if you soak the threads in Kroil. No need to buy an entire new receiver.

This is also the technique for properly removing barrels from the pattern 14 or m17 enfield rifles. The barrels were put on the receivers with 300 pounds of torque. It ruins the barrels, but it saves wear and possible cracking or twisting of the receiver.
Old August 24, 2009, 08:57 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, HankC1,

Do you have the proper equipment for removing/installing a barrel? Most of those Spanish Mauser barrels are not that tight, though sometimes they are rusted in. But without a barrel vise and a receiver wrench, and the correct bushings, trying to remove the barrel will more likely result in a bent receiver.

The technique suggested by Mountain Bear is a last resort (not the first option) and only when the barrel is to be scrapped. It is seldom needed for any of the Mausers.

Jim
Old August 25, 2009, 06:43 AM   #4
HankC1

I have the barrel removed by cutting a relief cut on the shoulder. It was a junk barrel anyway. Originally I thought mausers have internal torque shoulders so I did not try the relief cut. Info from another board indicates there is no torque shoulder in small ring mauser and I can see the barrel face chamfer from the bolt side so I proceed with the relief cut. The difference is like day and night, barrel came off so easy!