The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 14, 2005, 11:05 PM   #1
m0ntels

Lock-out Die vs Powder Cop vs ...Nothing

I load both straight and bottleneck brass. Was ready to get a lock-out die until I saw it said it cant be used with bottleneck brass. Any opinions on one or the other vs just using my eyes as I've been doing? I'm new to progressive loading, but have loaded for over a year on a single stage, doing over 3k rounds. Press is a Hornady ProJector. Thanks.

Randy
Old November 14, 2005, 11:43 PM   #2
LHB1

Randy,
See my post to your question on THR. Summary: Have used RCBS Powder Check die with three Hornady progressive presses ( 1 ProJector, 2 LNL's).

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old November 15, 2005, 12:06 AM   #3
jcims

FWIW, I bought the Powder Cop a month ago. While it's simple to the point of silly, it did pick up a double charge that somehow the two folks at the press missed...

I am still planning on buying the RCBS die, just because it's still very possible to miss something with the Powder Cop...but i would have to say the Powder Cop is still much better than your third option...especially at $13 or whatever it's going for at Midway these days.