The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 22, 2008, 05:36 PM   #1
SPUSCG

sxs for birds?

most people say i should get an o/u, but i dont have that type of cash and savage fox bs and stevens 311s are cheap......would they be good begginners bird guns?
Old May 22, 2008, 06:20 PM   #2
10-96

Beginners? Getcha a 311- it'll keep going and doing fine long after you're gone. Mine was made in the late 30's or early 40's (16ga) and early 70's (12ga) and they're running very strong. And, they're every bit as effective as any other SG in the field. An old addage rings true- It's of little consequence about how much you spend, but very much about how well you know how to use it. I like the SXS, there's some kind of heritage, nostalgia, or something I can't quite put a finger on. I have pumps and SA's, but they play dickins getting chosen over one of my SXS's for a hunt! So, if you get it- then learn to use it well- get familiar with how it patterns & points & fits, be prepared to take off the front bead (or put a bigger one on if needed), and rub your buddies faces in it when you show up their high dollar fancy guns. It'll do fine if you do your part.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 23, 2008, 07:03 AM   #3
Full-choke

SxS's make great bird guns IMO. I was lucky enough to get an O/U for my first shotty but I have carried SxS many a time. My brother uses an old Eibar 12 Ga. for his upland gun. All my grandfather ever carried was his L.C. Smith. SxS's make great upland guns as they are light and easy to carry. I have often looked for a nice 410 or 28 for squirrels, quail and what-not.

F-C
Old May 23, 2008, 04:35 PM   #4
SPUSCG

im thinking ove a savage/stevens, marlin 980 and 1894 c, plus a revolver, and ill be set to hunt everything