The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 15, 2008, 03:51 PM   #26
lt dan

30-06 takes down eland bulls. what the people in the gun selling world dont want you to know is the number of elephant and buffalo being culled(by the authorities) in places like Botswana with 30-06 with full metal jacket. it is about shot placement and penatration. thus if 30-06 doesnt work it is pilot error.

Last edited by lt dan; May 15, 2008 at 08:21 PM. Reason: toned down
Old May 16, 2008, 10:05 AM   #27
Firepower!

What 30-06 loads are being used in Botsowana to bring down elephants, and at what distance? Thanks.
Old May 16, 2008, 05:12 PM   #28
lt dan

i do not know the load but will ask a friend of mine who participate in such cullings. i have not seen this rounds but have seen the bullet that was retained after the animal was procesed. the distance these shooters oten talk about is about 25 yards. most of these shots are taken in what is known as elephant grave yards. can i shock you futher? some of these harvesters swear by 308. if you are in the loop one might get invited to such cullings but the down side is you have to use their rifles. and a lot of local hunters have reservations about the 30-06 and elephant culling. having said that the point is if a 30-06 kills elephant on a regular basis it wont have any trouble killing antilope of any size.
Old May 17, 2008, 05:04 PM   #29
lt dan

i asked around and the response are more or less the same. the rounds they use are goverment issue and the paper boxes only state 30-06 amd fmj. i spoke to a local gunsmit and he says the bullet is 155grn. remember that most poaching is done with ak 47.