The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 27, 2011, 11:58 AM   #1
Gitsum

RCBS starter kit... interchangable die sets?

Looking at getting the RCBS rock chucker supreme master kit. Cheaper than Dirt has them for $299.99. Any opinions on this set up or something better or cheaper?... Also I was looking at RCBS die sets and there are a few complaints about them. Can I use a different brand of dies on this press or are they all set up to use only their own? I also found a lee progressive set up on Craigslist with everything he has including dies, bulletts, primers etc for $450. Should I go that route? I saw some bad reviews on these as well. Anyone have a used setup they would like to let go of?

Last edited by Gitsum; September 27, 2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old September 27, 2011, 12:24 PM   #2
Habaz72

From what I've read the RCBS press is of super value and will last a long while. My only suggestion would be to check the Lee company and shop the http://www.factorysales.com/ website. I've heard nothing but good things about the Lee Classic Turret press (the Classic, not Deluxe). I haven't seen it as a kit but the prices at factory sales seem to be low enough that you can build your own "kit" for the same money.
Old September 27, 2011, 12:29 PM   #3
PA-Joe

All dies now have a standard thread size and are interchangeable. Except the Dillon dies for their Square B press.

You can get a Hornady Class Kit and 500 free bullets for the same price as the RCBS.
Old September 27, 2011, 12:36 PM   #4
Gitsum

just found this Lee 50 anniversary breech lock challenger kit for $81.... https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/...LL-II-KIT.html Is this enough to get started other than a die set?
Old September 27, 2011, 01:19 PM   #5
Doodlebugger45

If you're going to be loading rifles only, then a single stage press is great. And the Lee kit is a great way of getting your feet wet while you learn things. Nothing wrong with the RCBS unit, but the Challenger will load ammo every bit as accurate as the Rockchucker.

If you're going to be loading for pistols, then a very good approach would be to start with the Lee Classic Turret.

Avoid the Lee progressives like the 1000 and Loadmaster if you're just starting out. They can be made to operate fairly well, but it's not for the beginner to sort out.
Old September 27, 2011, 01:21 PM   #6
Habaz72

I have the scale that is included with that set, it works but it is very tough to read accurately. If you're going with that route I would also add 2 packages of the breech lock bushings so you can adjust your dies one time and leave them in the bushing.

But we should start at the beginning... what caliber(s) are you planning to load? And there's a sticky thread for starting equipment, very helpful info.

Edit to add:
And manuals, ABCs of Reloading.. very highly recommended.

Also, look on youtube for videos of the lee classic turret.

Last edited by Habaz72; September 27, 2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old September 27, 2011, 01:26 PM   #7
Gitsum

Im looking to load .38 special and the 9mm almost entirely. These rounds will be for range use. I read the sticky but it seemed to only explain the parts and procedure and not so much about what I would need just starting out.
Old September 27, 2011, 01:32 PM   #8
Doodlebugger45

That being the case, you should definitely check out Kempfs web page and look at their Classic Turret kit. Well thought out and I hear they give great service and advice.
Old September 27, 2011, 01:53 PM   #9
Gitsum

Yes. That Lee kit from Kempfs looks like the one for me. Comes with the carbide 4 die set of my choice and cheaper than the other "starter" kits too. $200!
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41
Old September 27, 2011, 07:06 PM   #10
wncchester

Any cast iron/steel press is vast overkill for simple handgun cartridges. Buying a Lee Cast Turret (it's iron/steel too) is not only more press than you will really need for the largest rifle cartridges it also has an auto-indexing head feature that will actually help you reload faster (it can be disabled for single stage use as you're learning, after a thousand or so rounds you may be ready to go auto).

Lee's little beam scale is only hard to see/work with if we do it incorrectly. A beam scale, of any kind, SHOULD be placed on a shelf or sturdy box so the scale is near nose/eye level to let us actually see the calibrations. Putting a beam scale flat on the bench top is almost as bad as putting it under the bench!
Old September 27, 2011, 08:17 PM   #11
Jim243

Yep, get the Classic Turret Press kit. Good price.

Jm
Old September 28, 2011, 08:45 AM   #12
Gitsum

Great! Going to order it this week. Thanks guys.
Old September 28, 2011, 08:54 AM   #13
Habaz72

I added all the items from the Kempf kit (not including the 6 ammo boxes that I see on the MidwayUSA site for about $10) to a cart on the Factory Sales website and came up with $167 vs the $199 price tag on the kit. I didn't look at shipping costs though.
Old September 28, 2011, 12:13 PM   #14
serf 'rett

It looks as if you are going to order the Lee Classic Turret. I went with the Rock Chucker kit last Christmas and have been very pleased; not only with the rock solid press, but with the RCBS 5-0-5 scale and Uniflow powder measure included in the kit.

If possible, you should pay a visit to a friend who or store which has the both the Lee and RCBS presses on display. I will mention that you asked:

Quote:
Any opinions on this set up or something better or cheaper?...
The Lee meets the cheaper part of your question; however, cheaper isn't necessary "better," Cheaper is sometimes just that - cheaper front end price, cheaper materials, cheaper construction, less back end support, etc. My opinion. If you really want "cheaper," get the Lee whack-a-mole or hand press; however, the Lee Classic Cast Turret will be "better" if you want to load more rounds in less time. Your needs should be the determinate of what you get started with.
Old September 28, 2011, 12:39 PM   #15
lee n. field

Quote:
I also found a lee progressive set up on Craigslist with everything he has including dies, bulletts, primers etc for $450. Should I go that route?
I'd have to look at the whole package, but that sounds pretty pricey for either of the Lee progressives.

Quote:
I saw some bad reviews on these as well.
Lees progressives are finnecky, especially the primer feed, but it's what I can afford.

If I needed to start over right now, I would probably go with the Lee Classic Turret, based on Interwebz Gunboard hearsay. YMMV.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "