The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 17, 2000, 05:17 PM   #1
Gremlin

I've been looking at a 12 gauge Sabatti Falcon over and under shotgun at my local shop. It appears to be a pretty nice weapon--the checkering is precise and the wood grain attractive. The receiver is either stainless or nickle with engraving to it. The controls are simple, although the safety is a bit loose. It has a 26" barrel and the blueing is at least 95% at best 100%. The sight is a single brass bead. The gun looks to have been very well taken care of.

The dealer is asking $475 for the gun--though I'm sure if I worked hard enough I could get $50 knocked out of that.

The barrel has an EAA (European American Arms) stamp on it and it carries the "Falcon" label as well. I'm pretty sure it was made by an Italian firm and have found their website, hoever, I know nothing about the gun other than what I have read there.

Has anybody had any practical experience shooting a Sabatti? Or do you know anyone who has? Are they reliable guns? Are they more like a Charles Daley than they are like a higher end gun?

I asked the dealer about the Sabatti brand and he told me he took the gun in trade on a handgun at closing time last Friday night. He said he had nothing to price it by other than by it's looks. He knew that with what the guy paid in cash on the handgun, he could afford the Sabatti for whatever price it brought; in fact, he asked me to tell him if I found out anything about the Sabatti and to let him know what market value was on a used one.

Help me out, please.

------------------
Take the long way home...
Old June 18, 2000, 06:49 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Don't have any firsthand knowledge but an older edition of Standard Catalog of Firearms lists the Sabati under European American Armory.
"There firearms are made by the Sabatti firm in Gardone, Italy. It is a old line company, having been in the firearms business since 1674. The company also produces and supplies component parts to many of Italy's premier gun makers. These shotguns and rifles are manufactured for the cost-conscious buyer.
Sabatti Falcon
This is a field grade Over/Under shotgun with checkered walnut stock with pistol grip, boxlock action, double triggers, and extractors. Offered in 12 or 20 gauge with 3" chambers. Also available in 28 gauge and .410 bore with 26" or 28" barrels. Barrel lengths are available in 26", 28" or 30". Chokes are fixed.
NIB-575 Exc-425 V.G.-400 Good-350 Fair-300 Poor-250
28/.410
NIB-625 Exc-480 B.G.-425 Good-375 Fair-325 Poor-275"

Keep in mind that this pricing is several (5)years old. Don't know if the valuation is still near that or has risen significantly.
Old September 13, 2010, 11:38 PM   #3
Budman8cm

Sabatti O/U Falcon

I recently acquired one of these fabulous weapons. I received it through an inheritance. At this time I have absulutly no knowledge of this weapon. Value, rating, nothing. Can anyone help me out here?
Old December 2, 2011, 01:47 PM   #4
JRB59

Sabatti

I own a Sabatti O/U 12 ga. 28 in. "Quail Unlimeted" and is the sweetest shotgun I have ever used. Superfast and lightweight. I am sure it is a higher end gun with all of the engraving and a limited edition. Never been a prblem and I shoot almost daily. You could not pry it from my hands. At $475 it is a steal!!! You will enjoy.
Old December 2, 2011, 02:35 PM   #5
oregunner

The Remington STS Premiers, that were discontinued, were made by Sabatti.
Old December 2, 2011, 04:01 PM   #6
jaguarxk120

I did a search for Sabatti firearms and www.sabatti.com came up. Looking at the web site they tell the same story that fal308 said was in the Std Cat. From the web site they do not seem to be a back alley operation, very first class.
The online catalog lists compention models and hunting grades of shotguns. If thats not enough they also make double rifles O/U's from 222 to 9.3x74R. The rifle barrels are hammer forged and regulated. Cabela's catalog's the Sabatti double rifles.