The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 26, 2011, 09:31 AM   #26
praetorian97

Hey from one new guy to another.

Do it for the hobby before you do it to save money. Have to say the experience of reloading my own ammo is priceless. When I look at a lot I just completed its heavenly. You need to shoot a ton to recoup equipment costs at any level. Plus theres always some bigger and better reloading component you will want

I just spent roughly 1000-1500 including supplies to get started in 223/5.56, 40S&W, and 45acp. Even though I shoot pretty regularly its going to be awhile before I break even.

With that said when it comes to reloading, not all calibers are created equal. Meaning some will save you more realoading certain rounds than others. Right now I am saving 50% when I reload a box on 45acp. When I reload 223 I am darn near breaking even with all the sales going on now with surplus mil spec ammo.

Also like Berry's MfG said. 10mm is a good round to reload. I bet you could save a ton with current factory ammo costs for 10mm.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:11 AM   #27
Longdayjake

When I got into reloading it was originally to save money. I had no other motive. Now I do it because I like reloading and money be damned. I spend a TON more now then I ever did buying factory ammo. I shoot a lot more too.

Also, Berry's and Rainier plated bullets have a very thin and brittle plating that may not hold up to high velocities. Other brands like x-treme or powerbond are great even at magnum velocities.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:48 AM   #28
troy_mclure

ive shot both berrys and rainier ballistics plated bullets in both my 10mm, and ruger sbh, at ruger level loads. never had any issues with either.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."