The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 11, 2010, 10:40 AM   #1
paknheat

Crimp die choices?

Going to try a Lee Factory Crimp die for my 9mm. Which one would be the better choice, the taper or roll crimp die?

Last edited by paknheat; May 13, 2010 at 05:33 AM.
Old May 11, 2010, 11:06 AM   #2
zxcvbob

I just use the bullet seating die that came with the set to provide a light taper crimp. Neck tension does most of the holding the bullet in place.

You don't roll crimp rimless cases (unless they have a shoulder to headspace on, like .357 Sig)
Old May 11, 2010, 11:11 AM   #3
jaguarxk120

If you check factory ammo you'll find no crimp on it. Why do need to crimp when the factory does not?
Old May 11, 2010, 11:12 AM   #4
rwilson452

9mm takes a taper crimp.
Old May 11, 2010, 11:43 AM   #5
ScottRiqui

Quote:
If you check factory ammo you'll find no crimp on it. Why do need to crimp when the factory does not?
I would think that applying a consistent crimp would be one of the ways that handloads can improve upon factory ammo, by providing a more-consistent starting pressure.
Old May 11, 2010, 01:36 PM   #6
jaguarxk120

You provide the starting pressure, as your saying, when you resize the case. The case is expanded with the expander plug so the internal size is consistant to the bullet. If you crimp 9mm cases you will start to deform the bullet squashing it to the same exterior dimentions. Case walls are not the same thickness all the way around unless you turn the necks. And this is not done on pistol brass. So now you will have a out of round bullet.
Old May 11, 2010, 07:31 PM   #7
paknheat

Taper crimp die it is.Thanx Mr.Wilson
Old May 11, 2010, 08:10 PM   #8
riverwalker76

I don't think you understand what the Lee Factory Crimp die does!

It doesn't roll or taper crimp your cartridges .... it Factory Crimps it.
Old May 11, 2010, 08:12 PM   #9
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
It doesn't roll or taper crimp your cartridges .... it Factory Crimps it.
Then what's the definition of "factory crimp"?

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old May 11, 2010, 08:20 PM   #10
jaguarxk120

Tuttle8 I just checked a 1990 WCC45 ACP Match ctg. this is new unfired ammo, I used a 7 1/2 power watchmakers loupe and cannot find anykind of crimp factory or other wise.

Maybe Western/Winchester is not big enough company to use "factory crimps"
Old May 11, 2010, 08:27 PM   #11
riverwalker76

Here is a pic of the Lee Factory Crimp Die from Lee's Website .... and Below is what a Lee Factory Crimp is ....

The collet PRESSES the case mouth into the bullet in unison. It creates a firm hold on the bullet without raising pressures. Kind of forms a very tight ring.

Clear as mud?

Last edited by riverwalker76; May 11, 2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old May 11, 2010, 08:34 PM   #12
jaguarxk120

Now you have taken a perfectly good bullet a made a piece of scrap lead and gliding metal. You are paying for a bullet maker to give best he can and then you can do better by squashing the heck out of it? I don't see how that is better.
Old May 11, 2010, 08:36 PM   #13
riverwalker76

That's your opinion.

However ... there are some on the board who have had very good results with them.

Check out this thread. ...... http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...4&postcount=10

Old May 11, 2010, 08:41 PM   #14
Black Dog

So does that mean you can dispense with using the taper crimp feature on a .45 ACP seating die if you use the FC die ?

...and if you use the Lee FC die with a .44 Mag. does it remove the seating die roll crimp ?

Not trying to be a Smart A** here but being a new guy I`m really confused by the correct use of the Lee FC Die in conjunction with the crimping features of the Lee ( or other brand ) seating die

Thanks
Old May 11, 2010, 08:53 PM   #15
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I can understand the definition of "factory crimp" in the context of rifles, but my Lee FCDs don't provide that type of crimp on pistol ammo. The OP was referring to 9mm.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old May 11, 2010, 09:27 PM   #16
Sevens

The linked pictures show a Lee rifle Factory Crimp die, not to be confused with Lee's Carbide Factory Crimp die for handgun rounds.

The handgun FCD does more than the rifle die does and I'm not convinced it's something I ever want to use. Others find that it "helps" their ammo.

Any company that sells their handgun caliber reloading dies in a set of 3 or more dies already has the proper (taper) crimp built in to the bullet seating die. For most of us, this works just fine and nothing else is necessary.
Old May 11, 2010, 09:34 PM   #17
riverwalker76

My bad! I didn't read all of the OP's caliber usages. Sorry for the confusion.
Old May 11, 2010, 10:37 PM   #18
Crankylove

Quote:
I don't crimp to hold the bullet in the case mouth, if the case is properly sized, it will provide all the tension the bullet needs. The only reason I run my cases thru the crimp die is to remove the little bit of flare on the case mouth after seating the bullet.

Some reloaders like the little extra hold the crimp creates, dosen't make it wrong, thats just the way they prefer to do it they do it. Many bench rest shooters I have talked to about thier reloading techniques will apply, and vary the crimp on thier handloads to help with grouping while developing loads............so, it appears it can't be all bad.
Old May 12, 2010, 07:08 AM   #19
jaguarxk120

What I don't buy into is the panacea of the factory crimp die. It's not a cure all for everything as people have posted. Some of the posters sound like medicine show barkers selling the elixer of life, cures all ailments and is good for you.
Old May 12, 2010, 10:55 AM   #20
WESHOOT2

burp; dang, I still ain't cured

Handgun: The LEE die still performs a taper crimp, so what's the big deal?

I crimp ALL my ammo using a separate die. Yes, it can add more time.....

Last edited by WESHOOT2; May 12, 2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: I use Redding Profile Crimp dies exclusively for revolver cartridges
Old May 12, 2010, 11:43 AM   #21
zxcvbob

The Lee factory crimp die for rifle cartridges is entirely different than the one for handgun ctgs. (I reluctantly use a FCD for .357 Magnum when using .358 cast bullets to make sure they will chamber, other than that I don't like them. But I'm pretty old (curmudgeonly) for my age
Old May 13, 2010, 05:37 AM   #22
paknheat

I am leaning toward a Lee taper crimp die because of feed issues with my Ruger SR9.I have used the Taper crimp die for my Glock29, and it did make a noticeble difference in accuracy as well as feeding reliability.I was curious as to why Lee offered both a roll and taper crimp die for 9mm.
Old May 13, 2010, 07:06 AM   #23
mtnbkr

Auto Pistol cartridges (9mm, 45acp, etc) get a taper crimp.

Revolver cartridges (38spec, 357mag, 44mag, etc) get a roll crimp.

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/re...sics/crimp.cfm

And before someone else says it, the Lee Crimp dies DO NOT RESIZE THE BULLET. I performed a test measuring bullets before and after seating with and without crimping and found the only resizing effect came from merely seating the bullet in a properly sized case.

Chris
Old May 13, 2010, 07:49 AM   #24
wingman

I use the Lee FCD on all pistol cartridges I load, I prefer to seat and crimp in separate operations,if adjusted properly the FCD does not harm bullets nor does it harm accuracy but IMO it does control set back and provide better feeding in most cases. Like any tool has to be used correctly.