The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 7, 2010, 05:41 PM   #1
rbf420

RCBS uniflow VS Lee perfect powder measure

ive been using lee ppm for a few months havent had any real complaints. it does vary a little but not noticible even when loading 9mm's yes i do have to tap the side of it each time i throw but other than that not real complaints...

so i ran into some extra money and decided to get a more expensive dispenser to see what i was missing... so i went and got a RCBS Uniflow...

have to say doesnt look like i was missing much... i did as the directions said and cleaned out the rust preventative as best i could and ran more than enough powder through to the the good film, but it throughs just as good as the lee and cuts the powder pretty bad...

i did a trial run on for both to see which one varies the most and its really too close to call...

so i guess ima ask you guys on your opinions on either of these dispensors...

im probably gonna send back the uniflow considering how much i spent : /
Old February 7, 2010, 05:49 PM   #2
islander

I had inconsistent throws with the Uniflow using the large cylinder for small revolver charges. Replaced it with a small cylinder and the throws tightened up as specified within one-tenth grain, using spherical powder. I'm very satisfed with the Uniflow.
Old February 7, 2010, 05:54 PM   #3
brickeyee

Uniflow with the correct cylinder and a baffle beats the lee hand down.

The lee leaks ball and flake powder.

Even the stand for the lee is flimsy and lets the thing move around when used.
Old February 7, 2010, 07:00 PM   #4
wncchester

"..so i guess ima ask you guys on your opinions on either of these dispensors..."

Sounds like you have it figured out as well as it can be expressed.

ANY measure will dispense ball powders well. Few will dispense stick powders as well as the Lee "Perfect".

The Uniflow can be as good as a Redding IF you also spend the extra money to get the micrometer adjustment head the Redding has standard.

Anyone who wants a cast iron powder stand can do it for the Lee at the same cost as any other, pick your color and buy any stand you like.
Old February 7, 2010, 07:57 PM   #5
NWPilgrim

I own and use both. My Uniflow has the micrometer stem which I think is a must to get the fine adjustments. I was throwing some Varget today and it takes about two of the smallest increment marks to change 0.1 grain.

For some reason my Lee leaks all types of powder, a few grains each throw. After a hundred rounds it is a mess. BUT, it throws large grained stuff like IMR4064 smooth as melted butter, while my Uniflow pretty much chokes on 4064.

Both the Lee and RCBS measures are very consistent for me, like within 0.1 grain.

The Uniflow is a heavy, solid clank-clank measure. With the micrometer stem it also costs about four times that of the Lee. Also, it is way to heavy to mount on my Lee Classic Turret press. I would need a press like the heavy, solid RCBS Turret that costs four times as much as my Lee to support it properly.

The Lee make a small mess of leaked grains, but it throws every kind of powder smoothly and just as accurately as my Uniflow. And it is lightweight so it easily rides on my Lee turret press.

I now use three measures:
1) Uniflow with micrometer for large rifle cartridges (.308, etc) and working up test loads for pistol and rifle

2) Lee Auto Disk Pro for production runs of pistol and .223 after I have a defined weight settled on (Auto Disk is cumbersome to work up incremental loads, or does not have enough increments). It is great for fast repeatable loads. Once I test a range of load weights from the Uniflow, I then determine the closest weight/cc cavity for best weight on the Auto disk.

3) Lee Perfect Powder Measure is used for coarse grained powders such as IMR4064 and Blue Dot, which my Auto Disk and Uniflow do not like.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old February 7, 2010, 09:13 PM   #6
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I frequently notice that my Uniflow grinds H3895. Not too bad and not all the time. But the pull can be rough and less accurate than I would prefer. I read that IMR 4064 was a great .308 powder. I bought some but can't even use the RCBS Uniflow with it. The extruded pellets are just too long for the thrower. They jam it up badly. So I'm buying a Lee Perfect Powder Measure for large pellets. I love the RCBS, but it has its limitation.
Old February 8, 2010, 02:47 AM   #7
Randy 1911

I have used both. IMO the RCBS wins hands down. With the right cylinder it is very accurate. Also, the Lee is just about 100% plastic where the RCBS is metal for everything except the hopper. If you don't have the small rotor, call RCBS and they will send you one for free. At least they did me.