The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old December 2, 2008, 01:50 AM   #26
rogertc1

These things only happen in the movies in my country.

Last edited by rogertc1; December 2, 2008 at 06:48 AM.
Old December 2, 2008, 02:07 AM   #27
Firepower!

rogertc1, you insulant behavior and lack of respect wont pull me down to your level. You should know the term before you so blatantly post it on the net. Word Paki is a derogatory term used by British in street language.

In Pakistan there are few area whe need such safety precautions.

I agree with Creature on M4, but I am yet to rule out AKSU74 with 45rd mags. Over the pistol I am think HK.
Old December 2, 2008, 02:45 AM   #28
mav88

I'd take my Bulgarian ak for distance, pump shotgun for close combat.
My side arm would probably be a revolver, and keep plenty
Of ammo On me. Strategy is to get cover, and wait for an oppurtunity
To arise. If all else fails, ill call Charles bronson
Old December 2, 2008, 02:47 AM   #29
Gazpacho

An ultralight AR-15 and an H&K Mk 23 (full SOCOM set-up)

10+ baddies + hilly terrain = break contact and withdraw.

My Bushmaster Superlight weighs less than 6 pounds. It's a plain carbine, that is less fatiguing on the arms. I replaced the A2 upper with an A1 upper to simplify the sights. An acceptible variation would be a flat-top superlight with an ACOG optic sight.

The SOCOM Mk 23 should include the supressor. This pistol boasts 4 MOA accuracy. Silent strike capability can be very useful for evading baddies.
Old December 2, 2008, 02:50 AM   #30
onthejon55

keep in mind that getting hit eliminates the possibility of escaping so if i was in that situation id want to keep plenty of distance between me and the BGs. id go with my M4 and plenty of ammo. the shotgun is a waste because it there are 10 guys after you and they are close enough that u have to use a shotgun yr gonna die. and have a good route planned out so that u know where all the good cover is and where u can crawl and hide god forbid u get shot
Old December 2, 2008, 09:41 AM   #31
troy_mclure

p90-5/7 combo, lots of mags. platoon of 120mm mortars.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 2, 2008, 10:49 AM   #32
kymarkh

I would suggest using the same primary weapons as your adversaries - possibly starting off with what you have on hand and moving up with battlefield pickups, etc. My reasoning is that your primary goal when outnumbered and without immediate support should be to escape and evade anyway, and if you do need to open fire your weapon will not draw fire as easily as something completely different would.
Old December 2, 2008, 01:31 PM   #33
New_Pollution1086

of what i have....

kel-tec-it has an ok scope on it and is point of chest at 200 yrd.

and mossberg 500.

and as much ammo as i need.

T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old December 2, 2008, 01:48 PM   #34
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Dragon Skin body armor and a squad of Marines.

We've got a few free battalions since Iraq is calming down. Maybe we could send a few to Pakistan.:barf:
Old December 2, 2008, 05:30 PM   #35
Mannlicher

This will work for me.
Remington 870 12 GA.
SA M1A (and I have optics for the rifle as well)
Springfield 1911-A1 in .45 ACP

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old December 3, 2008, 03:02 PM   #36
bestbod85

Mannlicher,
(don't want to hijack the thread but.....)
your post brings up an interesting question, that i have not been able to answer myself. how many of you would opt to have a primary long gun and a secondary long gun that fills a different job (as well as a sidearm). this thread made me think about this and if i could find a way to do so, i would like to carry my m4 (as primary), my savage 30-06 scoped (slung on back) and my sidearm. does this sound realistic?... my thoughts are of my immediate surroundings. i live in a suburb setting with a large city nearby and just as close are miles and miles of woods and open fields, so i figured that the m4 was good to around 0-400 yards and the 06 would be good out to about 1000 (this could be useful, depending on the scenario) i mean if a "squad of bg's are coming after you, your plan of action is to def. get the heck out of dodge, the m4 could help get you out of the immediate threat and if they persue the 06 could keep them at bay from a distance. this is for the most part just fictional "what if's "because i don't live in an area where this would likley ever happen. but it's something i've been wondering... so any of you military boys have any particular way of carrying your equip? is it even feesable to have two long guns?
Old December 3, 2008, 07:57 PM   #37
Recon7

Whatever ya got with a lot of mags already loaded. A 1000 round cache does you little good if you only have a couple mags. Also make a fighting position where you could go to. Be aware of cover, concealment and dead areas around you. Do what you can to eliminate any concealment, cover or dead areas that are around. look at where you would assault from and be prepared to defend against attackers from those areas. Know your avenues of approach and have an escape route.
Old December 3, 2008, 09:55 PM   #38
gypsyman

Rifle: M-4 with M203 grenade launcher attachment (why hasn't anyone said this yet?) and aimpoint red-dot scope, 7 mags on person, 1 in rifle.

Sidearm: Some kind of Glock, I like Glocks. # mags on person, 1 in pistol.

Some claymores and air support would be nice too

Reason: If you're going into combat, go in like the professionals (military.)
Old December 4, 2008, 06:48 AM   #39
Regular Joe

Our locales and the types of threats are different. The more I practice, the more I believe that my 10/.22 CRR with (currently) 8 factory 10 rnd. mags is a dandy urban gun, along with the P-95 and 5 mags.
I live in Las Vegas, and the only way I believe there could ever be 10 guys after me would be if the gangstas were acting up. A double tap to the face/neck is going to make that guy quit chasing me, and out to 125 yds. or so is not at all hard. The .22 is quiet enough that they may not know where it came from.
I was bustin' bottles today with the P-95 at 50 yds., so I have a lot of faith in that.
Differences between your adversaries and mine is that they are more likely to be proficient where you live, with prior victory in battle. Your BG's would be less likely to let it bother them if one or two are hit.
Nonetheless, I agree that escape would be the best option!
Old December 4, 2008, 08:31 AM   #40
TXPROSTAR

USMC Ka-bar knife,Sling Shot with plenty of over size ball bearings and a pea shooter with 1lb of dired pea's.I can not forget a gallon of crown royal..
"YE BELIEVE NOT, BECAUSE YE ARE NOT OF MY SHEEP", As I Said Unto You. 10:27: " My Sheep Hear My Voice, And I Know Them, And They Follow Me: And I Give Unto Them " ETERNAL LIFE."
Old December 4, 2008, 08:34 AM   #41
csmsss

In the scenario originally described, I don't believe anything short of an infantry squad is really adequate (unless, of course, you have access to an AC-130 or an A-10).
Old December 4, 2008, 10:53 AM   #42
armsmaster270

A lot of the things mentioned may not be available to him and he is talking real world not mythical scenarios.
Old December 4, 2008, 10:59 AM   #43
troy_mclure

m203 isnt really that effective.

you need almost a direct hit on personell for good damage, civilian vehicles can be taken out pretty easy if you hit the wheels, or bust it thru the grille, but thats about it.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 4, 2008, 01:53 PM   #44
Agincourt

M203 not effective? I would beg to differ, indirect fire at the fire team level is very very effective.

As for a fighting loadout

ANY serviceable semiautomatic rifle in a fighting rifle caliber (5.56mm on up) with as many magazines as possible, at least seven, preferably more.

ANY serviceable semi auto pistol in a fighting caliber (9mm on up to .45 or 10mm) with 3 to 5 magazines.

some kind of armor, some is better than nothing but perferably level III or IV with sapi plates.

The kit to carry all this stuff.

As many similarly equipped friends as possible.
Old December 4, 2008, 03:05 PM   #45
vytoland

Combo Combat

A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dmE-emrrAs&NR=1

B:50 cal machine gun.jpg
Old December 4, 2008, 03:20 PM   #46
hamster

TAR21 as primary weapon for short to medium range encounters
Steyr Scout in 308 with a 4-12x scope for the long range targets
P229 in 9mm as a backup
Old December 4, 2008, 05:12 PM   #47
Smoke Screen

Intermediate Range: Chuck Norris
Medium Range: Chuck Norris
Close Quarters: Chuck Norris

Sorry, I couldn't resist. On the serious side, I agree with the others, Mannlicher in particular that have said the 12 Ga. Shotgun, with a 8-9 shot capacity. A lot of people underestimate the versatility of the 12 Ga. Heavy shot buck would easily take care of individuals out to 120 yds or so. If in "your" area, I would also like an assault rifle in 7.62x39. It's got more punch than a .223. Compliment that by a pistol that you have a lot of practice with (automatic, revolver) in whatevery caliber you are good and proficient at. The pistol would only be my SHTF gun. Plenty of ammo for all three.

As far as tactics, the only thing I feel would give you an advantage in this situation would be if you were fighting in your terrain that they didn't know (streets, paths, buildings etc...) and to use guerilla tactics. If I was fighting for my life I would try to gain as much knowledge beforehand of the area I would be fighting in. I would plan traps, ambush points, choke points, and escape points. Guerilla tactics are frowned upon by more chrivalrous individuals, but their effectiveness is arguably the best way to go. In other words if given the chance, strike the most lethal and influential individual first. Then run to point X and plan to engage there. Strike at the next point and fall back to the next point, and so on and so forth. This would give you the best chance of survival and would help to cocnfuse and demoralize the enemy, and make them think twice before advancing because they are being taken out one by one. Unfortuantely, they are not very likely to all be bunched up in a group so you'll have to take that into consideration as well. Hit and run tactics. This would work even better if you had good friends/allies like eveyone says too. Hope you don't have to do what we're all talking about, but best of luck.
Old December 4, 2008, 07:24 PM   #48
Stevie-Ray

Do I get to call in Arty?

From what I have now, I'd want:

Colt AR Tac Carbine with at least 5 mags
Colt Mark IV with at least 3 mags
P32 BUG (Hey, it's light and ya never know)

Reason is I shoot them all very well at varying distances.
Old December 4, 2008, 07:29 PM   #49
okiebuckout

Quote:
The pistol would only be my SHTF gun.
Being only one and having 10 guys attacking me, probably without advanced warning, would qualify as SHTF...Just my my feelings. I guess I would stick with my M1A scout bunch of mags and my 1911. Prayers, lots of prayers.

Oh, I would have a predator on hand if possible. Save the video tape to show you guys the results. =)
Old December 4, 2008, 08:04 PM   #50
Smoke Screen

Quote:
probably without advanced warning,
Firepower! said nothing about the enemies confronting him without warning. Also, by SHTF I mean I'm out of shotgun AND rifle ammo. Screw firefights with pistols at any range past 20 ft.