The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 3, 2012, 09:28 PM   #51
DATL

Model12Win, I think the 18 barrel would be awesome. I see the Aussies get a variant like that, with no suppressor. Wonder if it'll come stateside!

In regards to the action binding- I am not sure if that means a failure to load a cartridge into the chamber, to cycle at all, or just an inconvenient "catch" or "hitch" when cycling the bolt. I have not experienced any sort of "hang up" while shooting this rifle if that helps. Out of the box it did not cycle super smooth. But it did not cycle so rough that I was worried or felt it inhibited me from cycling quick and efficiently. Many of the guys I shoot with have had their GSR's for a couple of years, and their GSR's got much smoother the more they shot them. If you see someone struggling to cycle one of these things (there's a video review where a popular tacticool guy does)- either they have a bad one and need to call ruger, or need to practice shooting a bolty a little more.

I will however admit my Kimber 8400 in 300WSM cycled significantly smoother out of the box...albeit significantly more expensive. The only M77 I have shot is one that I inherited my father. It was made in the 1970's and it is smooth as butter- much smoother than the Kimber even FWIW. I would see if you can rent a GSR at a range to see if you like it! That is, if you see value in the concept of it. If you don't see the value in a "scout" styled rifle then you most definetly won't like it!
Old December 16, 2012, 01:33 AM   #52
DATL

GSR Pricing...

Chettt, It made me feel better about the price of the GSR by comparing it to the other Ruger offerings and the other scout rifle comparables. For example, the cheapest .308 Ruger you can get new is the American .308. It's @ around what $350 or so online? No mauser type extractor, peep sites (or any sights), picatinny rail, flash hider, or 10 round magazine. The model line jumps up to the M77's at, what no less than $550 or so online? These at least have the Mauser type extractor but still have floor plates and no 10 round mag's, metal sights, etc, etc...

I'm sure the sum of the extra goodies on the GSR aren't $200 over the M77. But when you add a flash hider, metal sights, picatinny rail, and detachable magazines- the price would have to at least be higher... than an M77. For me it was worth it. Nevertheless I'm sure there is some hype to the price.

In regards to the other manufacturers of scout rifles Steyr was out of the question for me due to price. So I felt that really only left me to consider Savage. Personally I'm just not as big of a Savage fan as I am Ruger. But their rifle is at least comparable to the GSR in form/function. Theirs is a little bit cheaper- like $50 to $100 less, I think? (correct me if I'm wrong I'm going from memory here). Those have a 20' barrel, no flash hider, and don't come with a 10 round mag. I like it though, and you can get a 10 rounder for it...

So when I held all that into consideration I figured the price of the GSR really wasn't all that bad!
Old December 22, 2012, 09:18 PM   #53
AWMP

Just picked one up. Great feeling rifle. Nice looking stock. Just put a conventionally mounted scope on the rifle and going to try and shoot it next week.

I have an M1A Scout, love the rifle. Carrying it out and about can be a little taxing, not light but shoots great.

I had to take off the rail to mount the scope, where can I get screws to fill the four holes I now have?
Old December 23, 2012, 01:03 PM   #54
vba

What about the Savage Hog Hunter as a cheaper alternative? At least it has a 20" barrel.

http://www.cabelas.com/bolt-action-s...er-rifle.shtml
Old December 23, 2012, 01:06 PM   #55
PatientWolf

The biggest issue I see with the Savage Hog Hunter is the lack of a removable magazine.
Old December 24, 2012, 12:20 AM   #56
Corrections Cop

I really like the GSR, now I am torn between that, the AR, or a Mini 30. I want a good all around rifle for defense, and target shooting. I really like the 308 compaired to the .223, plus I am also tryin to think long term, weather or not they are going to enact another ban.
Old December 24, 2012, 01:35 AM   #57
Auto426

I certainly like the Gunsite Scout, and I wouldn't mind having one myself. However, the export version is the one I would try to hunt down. I don't feel like going through the hassle to get a suppressor so the threaded barrel would be useless to me. The extra 2" of barrel will help tame the muzzle blast and it gives a slightly longer sight radius when using the irons. It also comes in stainless, making caring for it easier.
Old December 24, 2012, 04:07 PM   #58
Cold Trigger Finger

There were some things Cooper had well figured out. Like the short. L.O.P. , light weight rifle, useful cartridge, very easy to have with you rifle.
However, being a military man it was his fall back to have an armorer to fix broken guns x . . Ruger on the other hand has been about Tough, useful tools.
In my view the Styer Scout is an elitist toy. The scout concept in action means the rifle needs to pretty much take care of itself. The blued steel may be OK in the desert but isn't too good along the coast or in heavy rain area's. When crawling around in thick brush,crap is going to get in the action, stuff gets in the bolt face, finds its way into little extractors and plunger ejectors . I think the Ching sling is a good idea . The short L.O.P. is mandatory. I would buy one if it was in 260 Rem or 6.5 Creed with an 8" twist. It would be more generally useful. An 18" barrel would be nice. The forward mounted scope is fine, execpt in low light and lots of stuff happens in low light. .
IMO Ruger should have gone with the M1A magazine. But they wouldn't be selling many mags. All in all tho. The Ruger Scout is a winner
Anyone that wants to test the scout reality, spend a couple months roaming in the brush non stop, sleeping in a bivy sack with very limited external heat source and snow on the ground and in the brush. With no armorer to fix your 3,000$ toy the Ruger will show their superiority in a true scout environment!

Last edited by Cold Trigger Finger; December 24, 2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old December 24, 2012, 11:43 PM   #59
R-71

Has anyone mounted a different flash suppressor or removed it?

I had a savage scout a couple years ago and couldn't warm up to it. I handled the Ruger in the LGS the other day and I like it much better than the Savage. I am a lefty so being able to get the L handed version is a big ++.
Old December 26, 2012, 02:23 PM   #60
DATL

Corrections Cop, I was in your same boots. My conclusion was that upon acquiring any of the three great rifles you named- I would surely find myself still wanting {ahem} needing one of the other three. I decided that all three needed to be acquired LOL. So I'm just saving for the others. But all three are awesome rifles. Personally I started with the GSR because I understand bolt action rifles to be the most reliable.

Cold Trigger Finger, you have some good points. While I have not tried a long eye relief setup in very low light conditions- I completely agree with your statements about GSR/bolt rifle/scout setups for situations where extended periods of time would be spent out in adverse conditions with no access to an armorer. Ha ha the bit about the $3K toy is priceless. I have a relative that is a hunting guide, and I have first hand seen the confused look on a guy's face when his uber expensive tactical rifle hangs up consistently after some messy, nighttime hog hunting. I'm not making a statement against semi-auto rifles or anything like that- just pointing out how funny it is when a guy gets all dressed up like a commando but doesn't know the first thing about keeping his rifle running.
Old December 26, 2012, 02:46 PM   #61
DATL

I added a Caldwell Bipod to my GSR last weekend. So far I like it a lot- it's a lot of fun. It attaches/detaches really easily. It extends from 6-9" and weighs 12 Oz.

It's a toss up - the bipod is fun but I really like how sleek and maneuverable these rifles are before all the attachments.

Hopefully I will find a nice LER scope soon- I think it may be the winner. Between the red-dot and the peep sights I think I like the peep sights best. Plus they don't need batteries!

Old December 26, 2012, 04:29 PM   #62
Corrections Cop

DATL, thanks for advice. I think I am going to have to go with the mini 30 or the GSR. .223 AR's are all gone here for the most part I think, Stag has a 1 yr back order. So I think I could find a mini 30 and for sure a GSR because its a bolt. I wish I would have cash a while back to get an AR. I really like the looks of the GSR, and I have other bolt guns. I also shoot mini 14's at work so I familure with that platform.
Old December 27, 2012, 01:58 PM   #63
STEN

DATL,

I agree with Crow Hunter. Several years ago I made my version of a scout rifle from a Savage 110 in 308. I cut the barrel down to 18.5" and re-crowned it with a Manson tool. I used a B-Square scout mount for a Rem 700 and a red dot scope. I liked the blind magazine because thats the natural balance point for carrying.
I built it mainly for deer hunting and fairly close range work. It worked very well until the plastic stock failed. It cracked where the rear pillar bolt goes through on the bottom. Cheap stock and poor design!!
I am in the process of building a new stock for that action and plan to put it back in service just like it was before.

If you are looking to build one yourself there are many options.
Old December 29, 2012, 01:25 AM   #64
DATL

Ah, yeah building one sounds like a lot of fun! I know there are going to be more and more options because it seems like more and more gun manufacturers are allowing their bolt action rifles to be offered with a magazine fed platform.

After I get a good scout scope I am hoping to start a good M1a build!
Old December 29, 2012, 02:07 AM   #65
jimbob86

Quote:
t's a toss up - the bipod is fun but I really like how sleek and maneuverable these rifles are before all the attachments.
Besides wrecking the fast handling qualities of the Scout Rifle, that bipod is too short to use in many field situations (high grass/sage/brush) and impairs the use of a shooting sling that is useful in nearly any situation..... including just carrying the rifle.

With practice, using a shooting sling is much faster, and just as steady as a bi-pod ..... and has none of the drawbacks.

Also, remember that though they are very expensive, skills weigh nothing and take up no space at all.
Old December 29, 2012, 02:20 PM   #66
DATL

Ah interesting point. FWIW the bipod in my pic is on the lowest setting but I still see your point- and agree with several of your statements! I like how one guy on here previously mentioned that in real world practicality he would just use his backpack to shoot on in lieu of a bipod.
Old December 29, 2012, 02:54 PM   #67
jimbob86

Quote:
I like how one guy on here previously mentioned that in real world practicality he would just use his backpack to shoot on in lieu of a bipod.
I've never voluntarily carried a ruck big enough (and packed tight enough!) to be anywhere as stable as a good shooting sling used correctly.

I do carry a pair of Stoney Point shooting sticks when hunting..... they are slow to set up, but when I sit down on stand, I set them up..... anything that is so far out that I really need them to steady the gun is far enough out that I have penty of time to get the sticks set just right ...... they take up very little space on my hunting belt when folded, weigh almost nothing, and don't get in the way when speed/handling is more important than extreme precision, like when you are facing one way and the deer sneaks up behind you......

The sticks are also useful for setting the shotgun barrel on while turkey hunting, leaving your hands free to work slate, box and shaker calls...... with the stock on your shoulder, the barrel in the sticks out in front of you, a mouth call in, and a couple of different calls in your lap, you can sound like several different turkeys- imitating a fight has brought a dozen+ jakes running across a 400 yard wide open field in the fall for me before.....