The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 23, 2012, 09:46 PM   #1
jambrdly

binoculars and rifle scopes

Hello:

I'm poor. can anyone steer me straight as to low $$$ binoculars and rifle scopes? I tried a Simmons scope on my mini-14 and the crosshairs broke after about 100 rounds (must have been that bonecrushing .223 recoil). Are the BSA's any good ? Nikon? Redfield? I want to put something on a Ruger .308 that won't fall to pieces when I need it.

Thanks
Old July 23, 2012, 10:02 PM   #2
Creeper

All though I have no personal experience with the current line of Redfield optics, I understand they are developing quite a good reputation of value for money.

Cheers,
C
Old July 23, 2012, 10:12 PM   #3
grandpajoe

I've also read good things about Redfield (they used to be the standard) but haven't used any of them. Bushnell used to be a good low priced scope (their Banner line) but for not a lot more now you can get a Nikon, Redfield or a Leopold Rifleman. Hold on for another month (give or take) there will be sales going on. Hunting season is right around the corner. I would look for a Redfield or Leopold myself. The Leopolds are very good, pricey (but worth it).
Old July 23, 2012, 11:18 PM   #4
SIGSHR

For low $$$ binoculars you might scout any thrift shops in your area. I have bought several pairs of 1960-1970s Japanese made binoculars for about $20 per pair in recent years.
Old July 23, 2012, 11:32 PM   #5
Creeper

Interesting you mention that SIGSHR. I have a lovely pair of WWII era Bausch & Lomb 6x30 Army SC Binoculars that I picked up at a yard sale a dozen years back for $50. Solid construction and excellent, clear glass. Still have them... somewhere.
Old July 24, 2012, 07:51 AM   #6
jmr40

At $85 these are the "Best Buy" in binoculars.
http://swfa.com/Leupold-BX-1-Yosemit...ars-C3461.aspx

For the money they are amazing, comparing much closer to some $600 binoculars I own. I know quite a few hunters, myself included, who have started leaving their expensive glass at home in favor of these. The 6X30's are the ones you want. 6X is plenty and the 8X30's are not nearly as good.

There is nothing under $200 in a scope I can recommend. I'd probably buy the Redfield Revolution or Leupold VX-1. Don't get the Leupold Rifleman. Same price as the VX-1, and not quite as good. Other's I'd consider are the Burris FF-II, and Nikon Buckmaster, or Vortex Diamondback, but for several reasons I'd much prefer either the Redfield or VX-1.
Old July 26, 2012, 02:06 AM   #7
sholling

The problem with scoping a Mini-14 is there is a bit of a reverse impulse that can screw up a scope. That said the > $200 scopes that I like to recommend for centerfire rifles are Weaver's Classic V and Classic K line. I have a V3 1-3x20 on one of mine but you could go with a V9 3-9x38 or V10 2x10x38. The K4 is a fixed 4x38. These are good scopes and on par with a Burris Fullfield II or Nikon Buckmaster.

I like to stick with good quality binoculars as well so these may be more than you want to spend so I'd call Eagle and see what they recommend. I've found them knowledgeable and honest.
Eagle Optics Ranger SRT 6x32
Vortex Diamondback 8x42

Last edited by sholling; July 26, 2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old July 26, 2012, 07:46 AM   #8
Doyle

Are BSAs any good? Nope, pure crap. Yes, you'll occasionally hear about someone who has been using one with out issue. But for every user like that there will be many more who are extremely unhappy. There is a reason shooters think that BSA stands for Been Suckered Again.
Old July 26, 2012, 08:28 AM   #9
Beentown71

Vortex. Even the Crossfire line is better than most costing twice as much. Plus, a no conditions lifetime warranty. For binos and scopes.

Another set of binos I like for the price are the ZenRays.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
Old July 27, 2012, 08:30 PM   #10
billcarey

Ditto on Vortex. Their Raptor series porro binocs are like the Yosimite. I have a 6-24 x 50 Crossfire scope and no problems in a couple of years. Definitely a best buy in the price range. Warranty is unbeatable compared to others.

bc
Old July 27, 2012, 10:46 PM   #11
myshoulderissore

I can't stress enough how good the Weaver Classic K4 is... I got mine for $125, just by watching for sales, the field of view is great, it is light, and the image quality is absolutely amazing! It is the only good experience I have had with scopes under $200, and it really needs to be seen if you are looking for inexpensive scopes.
Old July 28, 2012, 02:44 PM   #12
SSA

Nikon Action 7X35 binoculars. I've known 2 of these that were abused for years and held up.
Natchezss has a discontinued Bushnell Legend 3-9X50 for $100.
Old July 28, 2012, 04:16 PM   #13
PawPaw

As an aside, I went to my LGS this morning to look at scopes, and frankly I'm impressed with the low-priced models. Nikon makes great lenses and their Pro-Staff's can normally be had for under $200.00.

Natchez Shooter's Supply has the Burris Fullfield II on sale right now for ~$170.00, and they throw in a Garmin GPS. That's a great deal on a Burris scope. They also have the Weaver Classic V 2-10 for about $150.00, which is also a good buy on a classic rifle scope.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com