The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 2, 2011, 12:29 AM   #1
MEATSAW

A good improvement for the K31

Well I was happily surprised to find the Pachymar Decelerator D752B butt pad that I had ordered from Brownells in my mailbox today. It has been back-ordered for a couple months. So to finish off a busy day of fixing my wife's Ford (big surprise!) and preparing for my upcoming hunting trip I got to install it on my K31 using a butt pad adapter from Swiss Products. To be perfectly honest it was a pain in the butt. It took lots of Dremel tool work and sanding to get it all to fit right. A few hours and a ton of rubber dust everywhere here is what she looks like:

I am really happy with the end result. It now has the perfect length-of-pull and comfortably gives me perfect eye relief in the scope. I can't wait to see how it feels under recoil.

This is a great project if you want to add a butt pad without permanent alteration to the rifle. A couple of screws and the original butt plate can be right back on. However, if you don't want a bit of a project it might be worth it to take it to a gunsmith or just be cheap and get a slip-on butt pad.
Old August 2, 2011, 07:24 AM   #2
jsmaye

Quote:
It took lots of Dremel tool work and sanding to get it all to fit right.
Quote:
This is a great project if you want to add a butt pad without permanent alteration to the rifle.
Unless your Dremel work and sanding was on the pad, these two statements are contradictory.
Old August 2, 2011, 09:00 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmaye
Unless your Dremel work and sanding was on the pad, these two statements are contradictory.

I think you missed this part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEATSAW
I got to install it on my K31 using a butt pad adapter from Swiss Products.
Plus all the other posts here about meatsaw upgrading his K31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEATSAW
To be perfectly honest it was a pain in the butt
Grind to fit butt pads are just that. I use a belt sander, that helps somewhat. Fitting to the pad adapter is much easier than when on a butt stock. Came out nice, good job.