The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 6, 2010, 03:45 PM   #1
joeseabee

First Hand Loads

Just fired my first ever hand loaded ammunition and wanted to thank everyone for the information I've gathered on the forum. I found good info on everything from equipment to 9mm loads using bullseye powder... Thanks.
Old February 6, 2010, 04:48 PM   #2
Sevens

Good for you!
This is where some of us usually like to kick out a story of our first ever handloads. I still remember mine:

I built .38 Special, using Federal brass, CCI small pistol primers, Hercules Green Dot powder and Speer swaged LRN bullets, 158 grain. I was measuring powder with a Lee plastic dipper and shooting them from a 6-inch S&W 686. This was in '88 or '89, not sure which.
Old February 7, 2010, 07:22 PM   #3
jpsshack

Right on joeseabee! Welcome to the wonderful world of roll-your-own. I started with a Lee Loader, loading 30-30s as a kid. Lee loader again for first pistol loads, 158gr. HP and Universal in .38 spl.
I've never looked back.
Old February 7, 2010, 07:35 PM   #4
NWPilgrim

Way to go! Sounds like you have a great start.

23 years after I started I am still learning new stuff about bullets, powders, case prep, and equipment.

My advice for the years ahead: focus on quality and safety and make speed your last concern. I have fortunately never had a serious mistake, but I have caught a few through inspections. Practically every mistake I have made was when I was temporarily distracted or thought I could speed up the process since everything was going so well.

Take your time and thoroughly enjoy the entire reloading process. If you want speed then get the equipment and safety check mechanisms that will allow you to do it in a controlled, repeatable manner. But always work easily within the constraints of the machine and checks you have at hand. Have fun!
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old February 7, 2010, 09:59 PM   #5
NCMountain

Great feeling isn't it!
Old February 7, 2010, 11:36 PM   #6
colospgsAVID

there sure is a feeling of satisfaction handcrafting your own ammo. Better accuracy to boot. I love the precision I can do when loading. Good for you.
Old February 8, 2010, 05:56 AM   #7
sob (sweet ole bill)

first hand loads

seems like just yesterday I was buying a hundred primers at a time so I could feed my 12 gage.
Lee loader still works just fine... only now I've got a bunch... bottle capper for a press...25,000-35,000 rounds since 1961
Still have fingers and eyes. Two, known, misfires forgot to powder Two shotshells.
Been a great hobby, teaches paying attention to detail, self reliance and independence.
Hope y'all are having as much fun as I have had.
Old February 8, 2010, 06:24 AM   #8
Nevmavrick

first hand loads

For Christmas, when I was 12 years old, my parents bought me a Pacific reloading kit. The scales were made of a pointed allthread, and ya set it by two tapped weights adjusted on the balance beam. There were some marked pieces of aluminum that you added and placed in the pan. The press was a C-type. My dies were RCBS.
The load was Win cases, CCI 200 primers, 150gr Sierra flat-nose soft-point, and 30gr HiVel #2 used in an M94 .30/30.
Before I could shoot a deer with this combo, I traded for an Enfield M17, .30/06, which I DID shoot a 210#(field-dressed) Mulie with. I STILL carry that rifle today, but it has a .300 Mag barrel on it.
The big deal? That Xmas was 50years ago this past December.
Have fun,
Gene