The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 10, 2010, 09:00 PM   #1
armike

Need advice on picking a tac vest

I am looking for a tac vest to use to train with my ar. There are so many to choose from I'd like to get some feedback from you guys on where to look. I also have and m@p 9mm that I would like to keep in the vest also. Thanks, Mike.
Old June 10, 2010, 09:22 PM   #2
armoredman

For what use? 99% of tac vests are airsoft wastes of time. Get thee some misurp web gear at the local surplus store and you will be good to go for 99% of the 1% you might need a rifle.
Now if you just WANT one, same thing, get Blackhawk or something good, avoid the $40 airsoft replicas.
Old June 11, 2010, 10:59 AM   #3
ClydeFrog

Blackhawk.com 5.11 tactical, VooDoo tactical, Galls.com ....

Hello;
My first choice for top shelf kit(vests, pouches, belts, gear) would be www.Blackhawk.com . The military/LE/private security-public safety supply company was started by a retired US Navy SEAL and is highly rated by real spec ops units & working LE officers.
Other good sources are www.5.11tactical.com www.uscav.com www.galls.com www.qmuniforms.com www.cheaperthandirt.com .

I'd avoid some of the low end brands like UTG & Leepers. Some of these companies are cheap Chi-Com knock offs that will fall apart after a few days. I found out the hard way a few years ago.

Clyde
Old June 20, 2010, 02:56 PM   #4
rab

Tac Vests

If you are a normal sized person, Condor Out-Door's is the best I've seen. For basic rifle cfg., TAC-FORCE has a less expensive, but just as good. Leapers is has an unreal sellection for a decent price. They have a really good XX-XXXL black vest with cross-draw holster. You don't have to always spend top-dollar....
Old June 20, 2010, 03:21 PM   #5
gunmoney

As with every question, how much do you want to spend? Do you wan a vest a chest rig, a 1st line set up? How many mags? Do not get a cross draw vest, especially if you are a righty. It puts your mags on your strong side and makes re-loading from the vest pointless. Secondly, get a good belt or drop leg holster for a more conventional usage training and it opens up your LBE for holding more mags. If you just want to look cool it really doesn't matter what you get. There is very good equipment out there but it is expensive and what you need to buy greatly depends on what you plan to do with it.
Old June 22, 2010, 01:01 AM   #6
ccapehart1017

amazon.com

amazon.com has awsome deals on all kinds of tactical gear
also as a iraq veteran the standard us issue molle gear did me pretty good when i was deployed
Old June 22, 2010, 08:30 AM   #7
gunmoney

ccapehart, Did you use an external rig or did you attach directly to you IBA, IOTV, or MTV? What was you MOS and how did you set up your gear accordingly? I like to hear how .mil end users have ran their equipment.