The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 30, 2001, 08:30 AM   #26
pax

Doc Hudson was right: a friend with the right attitude who's packing beats all other possible backup weapons.

pax

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten. -- George Carlin
Old March 30, 2001, 03:15 PM   #27
traitorjack

griff: when I don't mind all the extra weight, I find that carrying my 26" ASP is pretty easy if I clip it inside the waistband, canted to follow the line of the body, snugged in however it's comfortable. of course, you have to have something sorta baggy to cover up, an untucked shirt, say, and it disappears pretty well. I had a 21", but I traded it with my brother for something, I forget what; he still carries it daily as a backup. work with it; it's not a big deal, so long as the weight doesn't bother you.
Old March 31, 2001, 01:33 AM   #28
WoundChannel

Maddog...

Check out Maddog's neck knives. They come in 3/16", 1/4" stock and also ceramic. They have tested the durability of the Mirage X ceramic knives by punching them through 55 gallon drums, cutting glass, and shaving steel. Light, durable, corrosion proof, and undetectable by metal detectors in the non-civilian models.
Old April 10, 2001, 03:12 AM   #29
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

Just some 3AM mental meanderings:

Knives are good, but a lot of people carry them, so the chances of winding up in a knife-on-knife fight are pretty good. I want to have an advantage over the guy who brings a knife to the fight.

Tomahawks, where legal and used with some skill, are hard to beat in close-in non-firearm fighting.

http://www.americantomahawk.com/tomahawk/

Edmund Rowe has pointed out the efficiency of the common entrenching tool, and carry of an e-tool isn't as 'aggressive' as carry of a tomahawk.

Walking sticks are legal everywhere, very discrete, and stick-fighting schools are becoming more and more common so getting some stick skills isn't hard.

LawDog

Bona na Croin

The LawDog Files
Old April 10, 2001, 04:05 AM   #30
PreserveFreedom

Definately an ASP. I have been thinking of getting one real soon. I am undecided to get a longer or shorter one. The long one would be better and not a problem when in uniform. The short one would be nice for slipping in a deep pocket.

Old April 10, 2001, 02:49 PM   #31
Halfpint

Location: About to be gobbled up by "The People's Republic of Firestone"!
guerilla1138

I hope that this fits into this `discussion' of `backups'? I know that *I* consider my cane(s) as *both* a `primary' and a `backup' device as the situation warrants. `Primary' for those times when a firearm isn't `socially acceptable' or may be possibly `overkill' and cause `collateral dammage' and `backup' for those times when I am not able to utilize or not have my gun available. Also... {GRIN!} So many people, BGs included, don't think of a cane or `walking stick' to be a `defensive' weapon and tend to overlook them. For most of us, on duty police officers being an exception, a nice cane or `walking stick' can even be somewhat of a `fashion statement' along with being part of one's defensive gear. (And even for some police officers, IE: If one was `undercover'?, it could very well be such, too.)

A while back when the subject of `alternate' forms of `defensive carry' items came up I'd mentioned that I generally carry a cane or `walking stick' of some sort due to a slight disability I have. I'd also described, somewhat, what one of my canes looked like and how it was made. I finally found some sites that had several examples of ones that were useful and one that had one of what the one I'd mentioned that I like to carry. Here are the `names' and URLs of these sites.

Canes and Walking Sticks from The House of Canes and Walking Sticks

http://www.houseofcanes.com/index.html

This one has quite a few interesting canes shown. But, the one that I am going to use it to point out and that I sometimes find useful to carry is the `seat' cane or `english shooting stick'. It has a handle that, when folded out, forms a sort of a `saddle' that one sits upon. It also has a pointed, peg like, end on it that has a `ground plate' that folds out to keep it from sinking into turf and soft ground. (Though, on mine it also has a rubber cover over the `spike' to make it useable on smooth / slippery surfaces and is, since mine is an antique that I inherited from a dear departed uncle, all metal construction except for the leather of the seat and wrapping the handles.) Part of why I am mentioning it is that while it is a rather `unusual' cane to be carrying quite few people are more curious about it rather than being `put off' by it and don't realize that it can be used as a very devastating `defensive' device. Especially if used as a form of a `Bata' or `Shillelagh'. (Just ask, if you'd like to look him up at the CO state `pen', one `thug' I had occasion to use it upon several years ago. {BSE GRIN!})

Walking canes - walking sticks - rollators - fore-arms - accessories and more --

http://www.walkingequipment.com/

This site also had some fine examples of all sorts of interesting canes and walking sticks, too. The two that I'd like to point out are the `orthopedic' and the `sap' canes. The first one because, the first one on the left in the picture of the different `orthopedic' canes, it has the handle shape like my custom made all metal one I carry the most. Not only is that handle probably one of the most comfortable handles I've ever used but, it also can be very effective as a `hook' that can be used to `catch' certain anatomical `features' of the body to inflict very devastating *pain* and also remove certain weapons while being fairly hard for a BG to grab onto since it isn't as `open' as a regular `crook' cane. On mine it is a lightweight metal casting rather than the usual plastic. The second cane, while like sword canes is quite often considerd a `concealed weapon', is interesting because it has a fairly heavy ASP like spring hidden within it's shaft. Taken as a whole it provides several different possibilities for defensive use. I'm fairly certain that people here will be able to appreciate all of them. {GRIN!}

Irish Stick Fighting, Faction Fighting, Celtic Martial Arts

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acro...hillelagh.html

This last site I'm including because besides offering a bit of `history' of the Shillegah also has information upon the useage of canes in general for defensive purposes. And for some may even provide a point of contact for people and places to get some possible training `locally'.

I hope that you have `fun' browsing the above sites and that they give you some interesting ideas for some `different' `backup' options. BTW, the `pool cue' cane actually works fairly well as a pool cue, too. {CHORTLE!} It *is* somewhat of a compromise either way but I haven't any real complaints with mine even though I do happen to have my own nice two-piece cue and quite a few better canes.

Of course I'm out of my mind, it's dark and scary in there!
Old April 10, 2001, 04:52 PM   #32
Al Mondroca

Weird Format

Why is Runt of the Litter's message so much wider than all the others? I've seen this happen before. Sometimes entire threads are like that, and it's a major pain in the ass because you can't read the messages without scrolling back and forth and back and forth.

Why is that? And what can be done to STAMP IT OUT!?
Old April 13, 2001, 11:03 PM   #33
Rusty S

The comment on carved canes reminded me of the knurled grips on Kel-lites ( OK, I'm an old fogey ) or Mag-lights, which as Mas Ayoob pointed out leave distinctive marks and even scrape off and hold tissue/blood/hairs. Good point, kinda hard to explain why your skin matches his carved cane.

Bout 25 years ago I picked up a Kel-lite C-cell baton light and took the baton cap off, cut it down a few inches and substituted a flat "flashlight" type cap on it. Think it was 6 ( maybe 7 ) C-cells but I added a couple dummy cells to fill the thing all the way. Then I turned off the knurling and anodizing and painted the the thing a crackled silver. Don't know what it was, but it was obviously a flashlight and not a baton.

Back in my younger days during my internship with Parole and Probation I carried a 6 D-cell Kel-lite. I retired it when I got hired as social worker, but I still have "old Ex-Lax" ( named that cause when I made home visits they invariably had to flush the toilet before answering the door.
Old April 16, 2001, 11:34 PM   #34
justice4all

I can't believe that no one has mentioned a big dog yet. Deterrence is the best weapon. I'd rather have people know that I am not defenseless, than have them have to learn that I'm carrying the things mentioned above.

Old April 18, 2001, 12:21 AM   #35
jdstone

Pepper Spray - Fox LABS 5.3

pepper Spray -- the right strength can nullify 99% of attackers - even up tp 30 feet away. This would enable you gain the momentum and make use of your sidearm or get the heck out of harms way.

Who wants to go pig stickin' when you can nullify a situation pretty quickly and harmlessly.

Get FOX Labs 5.3 SHU stream spray and you are in business. Stream will run down a forehead into the eyes of an attacker wearing sun/glasses and will not blow back into your face. It does have a 30-354' reach.

--John
Old April 18, 2001, 12:24 AM   #36
jdstone

30-35' reach

Opps! My typing caught up with me again.

In my previous post I mistyped "It does have a 30-354' reach"-- this should read 30-35' reach.

Sorry...

--John
Old April 19, 2001, 06:04 AM   #37
Battleaxe

backup guns

I'd worry more about the primary carry gun. But I just saw on a web page that 88% of cops killed never touched their guns.
Old May 5, 2001, 02:47 AM   #38
The Sniper

I believe that a quality knife either fixed blade or one hand opener is a solid choice - but learn how to use it properly. Take the time to train with any weapon that you intend to carry and defend yourself with. Make a commitment to continue your training on a regular basis to remain proficient.

A weapon that you are not familiar with is not much of a defense - but they do make interesting paper weights.

Old May 5, 2001, 10:22 PM   #39
madmike

It is legal to carry a knife in most states. Don't let any local yokel tell you otherwise. Most agricultural states (MO being a notable exception.) don't retrict knives because Corn knives become weapons then. Even states with limits usually have one you cna work with--5.5" in TX, for example.
I have msot states on file if you care to email me at [email protected] (I'm a custom maker and retailer--I have to have a passing fam with them)

best weapons: boots and walking sticks are legal everywhere. Kubotans everywhere except NYC.
Chemical sprays aren't worth a damn. Some are immune, some run through them, there's no range in wind, you might get a faceful...it won't even stop my neighbor's hounddawg from barking, and that's a police strength spray.

Batons if they are legal, or brass knucks, assuming you have time to put them on--easy to use. (they are legal her in Indiana. Actually, almost everything is legal here, except beer on Sunday).

Good neck knives, but hard to justify other than as a weapon. A good folder with tape residue is a "tool for opening boxes."

I don't recommend push daggers. all you can do is stab. Get a good swept point or tanto. Daggers are illegal some places, and hard to justify except as a weapon (and if the poor young man who was taking a late night stroll with a tire iron and a collection of wallets he happened to find sues you, that WILL be important.)

I love the Camillus Cudas. Cold Steel, Spyderco, some Bucks, Benchmade, all are excellent folders. And even in CHicago with a 3" limit, they are mean enough to work.

"Remember, the best weapon you have is between your ears and under your hair...provided it's loaded." Heinlein
Old May 5, 2001, 10:29 PM   #40
madmike

At the far end, a friend of mine who needs a cane made one from steel pipe, tipped with brass and headed with brass...
under the cap was a Schrader valve. Inside was 4 oz of mercury. He drew it down to a 28" vaccum, so the mercury would slosh easily...
when you swing it, the weight shoots to the end and adds so much to the impact.
Or, just lift and drop. I watched him break a brick. I can imagine a mugger's foot...or ribs...or teeth...
Mercury is pricey, but WHAT a weapon. And who'd question the slight, gray-haired gentleman with the limp?
Old May 6, 2001, 01:37 PM   #41
Apeach

I'd have to say one of those ASP expandable batons. When you carry a knife, while it is more effective, you'll usually hesitate to use it since it's such a messy weapon. With a baton it doesn't cause so much permanent injury, and there's less of a chance of death, so you won't hesitate as much. Even so, I carry a Buck folding knife that has the quick open stud on the blade. It's about the closest legal thing to a switchblade. I hope that I wouldn't hesitate to use it, but you never know.
Old May 9, 2001, 06:02 PM   #42
DocSWAT

UBW

Actually the most powerful weapon you have is your Police Cuiser.

The most important weapon you have is your mind, as it controls what/how you will react in any given situation.

As far as pistols I carry a New York Back-up 2 USP 45s and a USP45c in the middle of my back. If I am wearing a vest I carry my Sig P-230 SS and keep my shirt unzipped--fake buttons......All I have to do is fake a heart attack and come out firing....

Knives, hands, and feet are good for close quarters.
Old May 10, 2001, 05:08 PM   #43
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

DocSWAT
You carry 3 guns? What is it that you do?

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com
Old May 12, 2001, 11:49 PM   #44
quantico

A buck folder and an icepick with non-slip handle made of stainless steel and a thick shaft. If I need it it's going to be a bad day for some low-life. The best part of the ice-pick is the light weight and ease of carry with simply a leather cover over the last 2 inches.