The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 16, 2009, 08:02 PM   #1
4570 ruger#1

winchester 1200 question

i purchased a win. 1200 this weekend,i need to install a plug in the magazine to reduce it to three shot maximum for ohio deer season,i need to know how to remove the cap on the magazine,it looks like it is pressed in,is there a trick without reverting to vice grip pliers like bubba would do.
Old September 17, 2009, 01:43 PM   #2
10-96

If you've gotten the screw-on cap off- then don't take the inner spring cap thing out. Just use a wooden dowel rod cut to length or a pencil. You can buy the fancy plastic plug- and that will sit on top of the spring cap thing.

However, if you can't get the screw-on cap off- then yes, you may need to wrap your channel lock plier jaws with several layers of duct tape. They make special padded jawed pliers just for this job- but why pay $20+ for something you won't use that often?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 17, 2009, 02:22 PM   #3
4570 ruger#1

win. 1200 question

had to use the pliers wrapped with tape trick,worked fine, no marks,thanks.
Old September 17, 2009, 02:34 PM   #4
10-96

You're welcome. I usually keep old pieces of leather scrap around for such emergencies- but more often than not, I can't find one when I needs it.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 18, 2009, 09:34 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've always just pulled it out with my fingers. It's pressed in, but you can usually wiggle it out.

You have to be careful, though, as the spring can really pop it out when it comes free. I ripped a fingernail pretty badly that way once.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not even sure it's needed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 18, 2009, 05:40 PM   #6
4570 ruger#1

win. 1200

the spring did fly out even though i new it would and thought i was ready for it,there should be a small hole in the magazine tube for a slave pin,i might have to try putting one in.the cover went back in a lot easier than it came out,probably was never removed.