The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old July 24, 2007, 08:48 AM   #1
Manedwolf

Public machine gun shoot! - NH Republican fundraiser at range

Aug 5, Pelham, NH.

Here's the Union Leader article. You can definitely see who supports our 2A rights, here! (And who doesn't, check out the handwringing by the Democrat party official...) Looks like fun, too...if you're in the northeast, probably worth a trip!

Quote:
GOP fundraiser to feature machine gun shoot
By SCOTT BROOKS
New Hampshire Union Leader Staff
10 hours, 23 minutes ago

MANCHESTER – City Republicans will be packing some serious firepower at their next party fundraiser.

Tired of the usual chicken dinners, the Manchester Republican Committee is planning to arm supporters next month with Uzis, M-16 rifles and other automatic weapons for a day of target practice at a Pelham firing range.

"The thought just struck me one day: a machine gun shoot. What the heck?" said Jerry Thibodeau, the committee chairman.

Thibodeau, who is himself a hunter and skeet shooter, pitched the Aug. 5 event as a fun social gathering, as well as a demonstration of the party's support for Second Amendment rights.

The concept prompted shudders across the political aisle. Chris Pappas, the city Democratic party chairman, called the event "not just in poor taste; it is downright offensive."

"The citizens of Manchester have lived through a deadly spike in violent crime the past year-and-a-half, despite the campaign promises of (Mayor) Frank Guinta to lower crime rates," Pappas said. "That the mayor's political party would seek to glorify the use of machine guns for political gain is unconscionable."

The GOP fundraiser will be held at the Pelham Fish and Game Club. Proceeds, Thibodeau said, will be split among the party, the club and the gun supplier.

Republican party leaders are hoping for a strong showing of both novices and experienced shooters. The cost to participants is $25, plus fees for ammunition and parking.

Each of the Republican Presidential candidates was invited, Thibodeau said, but all declined, saying they'll be busy preparing for the following weekend's much-ballyhooed straw poll in Ames, Iowa.

"I really tried to get Rudy Giuliani there," Thibodeau said. "Because I'll tell you, this is a guy that can't relax."

Bob Shaunessy, who chairs the Pelham club's class-3 weapons committee, says he expects shooters will get to select from a range of submachine guns, including Uzis, MAC-11s and Swedish K's, as well as M-16 and AR-15 rifles.

Twenty safety experts, called "range officers," will be on hand to load the guns and monitor the shooters, Shaunessy said. On-site instruction will be required for all participants.

"My first and foremost goal is that everybody who walks in walks out," Thibodeau said.

Few may be more excited about the event than the man who conceived it.

Thibodeau, who recently celebrated his 60th birthday, said he has not fired a machine gun in 40 years.

A Seacoast native, Thibodeau was exposed to guns at an early age. His father, he said, was a machine gunner in Guadalcanal during World War II.

Thibodeau's own experience with machine guns began at 18, he said, when a friend and his father took him out to fire rounds in a sand pit.

The experience, he said, was powerful.

"It's a way of expressing yourself, I guess," he said. "We all have a little testosterone in us, right?"

And yet, he said, many of the people responding to the event advertisements have been women.

The city committee's executive director, Kelly Hurst, said she, too, is excited about the chance to fire a machine gun for the first time.

No stranger to guns, Hurst said she carries a small pistol for personal protection, but notes, "I've never felt a need to carry a machine gun down the street with me."

"It's very different," Hurst said. "I don't know when anyone else, man or woman, may get an opportunity to do this."

Manchester Republicans have several other social events in the works. The committee recently launched a monthly mixer, known as "Thirsty Thursdays," at Murphy's Tap Room on Elm Street.

Other events are more family-friendly. A Sept. 16 rally at Veterans Park will include face painting, rock climbing and, Thibodeau said, an inflatable "moon walker."

"It's about people meeting people," Thibodeau said. "Get the heck away from the computer, get the heck away from work. Come on out and talk to people."
http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...4-8ce94d13268b
Old July 24, 2007, 11:50 PM   #2
Rmstn1580

How come whenever Americans do something constitutional it's declared racist?
Old July 25, 2007, 08:11 PM   #3
TEDDY

mg shoots

they used to have mg shoots twice a yr in NH and Maine.Hiram maxim historical sociaty put them on.Dover foxcroft in maine and stratford hollow in NH.They were well attended and locals made a lot of money.the land was sold in statford and the town sand pit was used up by town so no backstop.I made the trip every yr from 1991 to 2000.
Old July 25, 2007, 09:56 PM   #4
buckster

M/G Fundraiser

Just saw that on Yahoo. Man I wish I lived near there! For 25.00 that's a deal. Live free or die state. Naturally the Demorats were appalled. I'm jealous!
The fear of guns is a sign of emotional and sexual immaturity. Sigmund Freud
Old July 27, 2007, 07:53 AM   #5
Manedwolf

Apparently Keith Olbermann did a bug-eyed screaming rant about it or something, so I'm hoping the state troopers will be at the gate to stop any hateful liberal protesters coming up from MA, which is unfortunately not far enough from Pelham. :P
Old July 27, 2007, 06:51 PM   #6
MachineGunRick

MRC Machine Gun Shoot

Hey all...Greetings from Manchester, NH! The MRC Machine Gun shoot that Jerry and I put together is raising the hackles of the city dummycraps. I am having a hard time deciding which is more fun: shoving this event down their throats or shooting the machine guns...Hell I get to shoot all I want to, event or no event, so I would have to say railing on these bozos is fun.

I want to thank all of you for your positive support for this event! I have long told Jerry that we needed this event to out the RINO's in our party who are anti-gun. That certainly has worked...But, again, thanks for the great comments!

Rick O.
Old July 27, 2007, 08:43 PM   #7
Manedwolf

Thanks for putting it together!

Q: Is it going to be purchased-ammo-there-only, or are any brands of boxed commercial ammo acceptable? As I know how valuable the guns are, I can understand if it's "You need to buy it there", I just wanted to check!

Also, I reallyreally would suggest that there be some sort of guard at the gate to remind any idiot "protesters" that it's private property, and they they'll be arrested for trespassing or disrupting.

I also suggest a NO FILM CREWS PHOTOGRAPHERS ONLY sign.

Blabbermouth crews with betacams and satellite trucks will ruin the fun otherwise.

Last edited by Manedwolf; July 28, 2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old July 30, 2007, 12:40 PM   #8
MachineGunRick

Film Crews and Photogs

The ammo must be purchased there for safety reasons and for weapons maintenance purposes. That is Jim McCloud's policy...he is supplying the weapons. You know, if anybody feels so inclined...feel free to sen Jim an e-mail patting him on the back for making this event possible. He has supported it fully. Jim is the owner of Manchester Firing Line Range, LLC., a business in Manchester where people can come in off the street, rent a Machine Gun, purchase ammo and fire away to their heart's delight. his web address is
www.gunsnh.com He is a real good guy...

As far as protesters go, I had suggested that we ready a goof pressure water hose and when they step onto the property, we let them have it. I was soundly dressed down for my idea...LOL...

As for the Media, PFGC has set policy that media will not be allowed at all. As soon as the Clinton News Network contacted Jerry, that pretty much foreclosed it for all media types.
Old July 30, 2007, 12:44 PM   #9
MachineGunRick

Funny idea

I am actually comtempating wearing one of my Rhodesian Military T-shirts...LOL...Its just a plain white T-shirt with a reduced version of a 70's vintage recruiting poster...LOL
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by MachineGunRick; July 30, 2007 at 12:45 PM. Reason: image not showing
Old July 30, 2007, 12:58 PM   #10
Manedwolf

Quote:
As for the Media, PFGC has set policy that media will not be allowed at all. As soon as the Clinton News Network contacted Jerry, that pretty much foreclosed it for all media types.
GOOD! Perfect. Thank you.

Nothing ruins a day of fun like annoying reporters.

As for tshirts, for myself, I can't fathom firing machine guns for fun without wearing this one...

If people are familiar with the show and movie it comes from. A lot of firearms enthusiasts seem to be.
Old July 31, 2007, 10:38 AM   #11
blackwinch

Notice one thing

Notice that none of the Republican Presidential candidates are going to attend...
Old August 2, 2007, 10:48 AM   #12
Fishyfish

Meh. Cheney.
Old August 5, 2007, 02:25 PM   #13
Manedwolf

Okay. that was fun!

I tried a full-auto MP5, Thompson, Sterling, Grease Gun and 30-06 BAR.

All were lots of fun. But the BAR, lying down to use it and dancing bowling pins downrange...
Old August 5, 2007, 10:18 PM   #14
chris in va

I'm jealous. Been several times to various ranges where full autos were being fired, not ONCE has anyone offered to let me fire one. Heck, I had to wait for the bozos to leave the range I frequent just so I could get to work with my lowly stuff.

But that's N. VA BS for you. Glad I left that place.:barf: