The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2007, 09:33 PM   #1
Greg Di

"Sticky" Lee Turret Press

I've only loaded about 600 rounds with my new Lee Classic Turret and a weird thing is happening.

When I decap a case and go to seat a new primer, the primer holder is sometimes sticking in the case holder enough to disconnect the primer holder on the up stroke sending it onto the floor.

I cleaned and lubed the case holder area with a q-tip to degunk it, but the primer holder is still a little sticky.

Can I use gunscrubber or something in there or is there another method to try? It's driving me nuts!
Old February 20, 2007, 12:01 AM   #2
benedict1

Yes, you can use Gun Scrubber or disc brake cleaner--it should operate dry or with a little powdered graphite. It will get gunked up with the garbage that comes out of spent primers/cases and if there is any oil it will get gooey and the result is it will stick. I clean mine about every 1000 rounds, maybe less than that, actually.

However, I don't understand the part about pulling the "primer cup out" Do you mean the whole lever arm is coming loose in the resizing die station--it is somehow sticking in the shell holder base?? If that is the case there is something wrong. Check to make sure that the pin the primer cup is mounted on is not bent and binding on the side of the ram/shell holder. If so, you probably need to call Lee and have them send you a new lever arm. Tell them the one you have is defective and describe the behavior.

Last edited by benedict1; February 20, 2007 at 12:02 AM. Reason: typing error
Old February 20, 2007, 03:32 AM   #3
bob k

I have the original turret press. I installed the Safety Prime and like you the primer arm would stick. My solution was to clean everything, and, then I took a fine file and smoothed the edges of the primer arm, it was quite rough
Old February 20, 2007, 08:42 AM   #4
XD-Guy

I too had that problem a while back. I took some Scotch Bright and polished the primer cup and that did the trick. DON'T OIL IT that will just gum it up
Old February 20, 2007, 01:59 PM   #5
Greg Di

Thanks guys. Glad to hear it's not an isolated issue.

I will gunscrub the problem area, polish the primer cup, and not relube it. I'll see how that goes.
Old February 22, 2007, 07:49 PM   #6
amamnn

Would you by any chance happen to be reloading retired military brass?
Old February 22, 2007, 08:58 PM   #7
DaveInGA

Clean it! After you tumbling your brass before putting them on your press? Your press is getting awful nasty for a press with a primer disposal system.

Regards,

Dave
Old February 22, 2007, 09:31 PM   #8
benedict1

Quote:
Thanks guys. Glad to hear it's not an isolated issue.

I will gunscrub the problem area, polish the primer cup, and not relube it. I'll see how that goes.

Is that primer cup pin straight or bent?? No amount of cleaning will solve that problem--and are you trying to load military brass, as someone else asked??