The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 15, 2006, 07:22 PM   #1
bp78

Inexpensive holster and carriers for IDPA?

Just started shooting IDPA and want an inexpensive paddle holster for my Sig P228. I say inexpensive since I'll probably switch from the P228 to another gun before long. I'd like to compete for a few match to get a better idea of what that next gun might be.

Any inexpensive options out there that aren't junk?

thanks.
Old January 15, 2006, 07:34 PM   #2
glockopop

Just about the only thing that's gonna be under 50-60 bucks is Uncle Mike's, which I have and love for IPSC but is now IDPA illegal under the new rules, or a Fobus. I had a Fobus for a revolver and I liked it well enough, but it seems that a lot of people don't like them, either because they are too tight or too loose. They don't have an adjustable screw like the Uncle Mike's. If you don't want to spend $60 on a Blade-Tech, see if they'll let you use the Uncle Mike's and take a penalty. Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but the Uncle Mike's holsters cost less than $20. If you get a Blade-Tech IWB holster you can use it later for carry so that it's not a waste of money.
Old January 15, 2006, 07:34 PM   #3
glockopop

Just about the only thing that's gonna be under 50-60 bucks is Uncle Mike's, which I have and love for IPSC but is now IDPA illegal under the new rules, or a Fobus. I had a Fobus for a revolver and I liked it well enough, but it seems that a lot of people don't like them, either because they are too tight or too loose. They don't have an adjustable screw like the Uncle Mike's. If you don't want to spend $60 on a Blade-Tech, see if they'll let you use the Uncle Mike's and take a penalty. Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but the Uncle Mike's holsters cost less than $20. If you get a Blade-Tech IWB holster you can use it later for carry so that it's not a waste of money.
Old January 15, 2006, 07:57 PM   #4
bp78

I was already shopping for a quality IWB holster for my P228. Everything I saw at my first match was either belt or paddle holsters. Does anyone compete with IWB holsters in IDPA?

Why are the Uncle Mike's holsters IDPA-illegal now? Are the cheap-o Fobus one also banned now?
Old January 15, 2006, 08:27 PM   #5
Jim Watson

There are a few IWBs in IDPA. They are allowed, even encouraged by the rules but most people want belt holsters because they are faster.

The UM belt holsters are not allowed as is because they stand off far enough to show a gap through the belt loop and do not hold the gun within 3/4" of the body. The Headhunter Conversion, developed by Claude W. of Georgia, makes it usable, even preferable to the UM paddle. Take out the two bottom screws holding the belt loop to the holster. Reinstall them through the holster welt only, leaving the bottom of the belt loop loose. Hang the belt loop over the waistband and belt like a paddle. No gap, works fine, better than Fobus.

I don't know if the UM paddle rides close enough, but I like the Headhunter Modification better anyhow. I keep one for a spare and loaner, I normally wear Ready Tactical Products kydex rigs, but they do cost more.
http://www.pistolpacking.com/httpdoc...Holsters.shtml
Lots of people are reluctant to buy a $55 holster for a $700 gun.
Why?
Old January 16, 2006, 01:46 PM   #6
bp78

I was already shopping for a quality IWB holster for my sig. I guess I'll use it for both carry and IDPA for now. I had narrowed the choice down to the Comp-Tac C-TAC, G-code or blade-tech.

Any suggestions on a IWB holster that is easier to reholster? I'd give up some concealability for usefulness in IDPA as I don't carry the P228 that often.
Old January 16, 2006, 08:44 PM   #7
HSMITH

I use a Blade-Tec IWB for IDPA and really like it, it is a breeze to reholster as long as your vest/jacket doesn't get in the way
Old January 17, 2006, 12:07 AM   #8
glockopop

I stand corrected! On Blade-Tech's website they have some SMOKIN' DEALS! You can get belt or paddle holster for under $20 before shipping. Look at the injection molded holsters.

blade-tech.com
Old February 12, 2006, 09:16 AM   #9
bp78

just a followup for closure

Thanks for the advice above. I ended up buying the Comp-Tac CTAC for my Sig P228. I adjusted it it's highest ride setting and it worked great in last nights IDPA match. Easy to reholster when it rides high. Fit and finish on the Comp-Tac is nice. I also bought a G-Code paddle holster for my 1911. Bought both from the folks at GunnersAlley since their new shop is only a mile away from me. Very friendly shop to do business with.
Old April 7, 2006, 01:06 PM   #10
jfruser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson
The Headhunter Conversion, developed by Claude W. of Georgia, makes it usable, even preferable to the UM paddle. Take out the two bottom screws holding the belt loop to the holster. Reinstall them through the holster welt only, leaving the bottom of the belt loop loose. Hang the belt loop over the waistband and belt like a paddle. No gap, works fine, better than Fobus.
Terrific! I can now use my cheapo UM plastic fantastic again for IDPA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson
Lots of people are reluctant to buy a $55 holster for a $700 gun.
Why?
I am a proponent of quality carry gear, but I'll bite...

Because they already paid $75-$150 for a custom leather holster for their CCW...and don't want to spend more than they have to to support their gaming habit?

You could say, "Wear the pricey custom holster." BTDT. I've done it, but holstering even the best IWB leather holsters get old after a while. Plastic OWB is much easier, especially if it is Africa Hot with humidity thick enough to swim through.