The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 11, 2012, 06:09 PM   #1
Mike / Tx

Hornady .284" 154gr Interbond Experiences...

I am looking for field reports on the Hornady 154gr Interbond bullets, specifically when used in the 7mm Rem Mag or the 7mm STW. That said pretty much any of the newer 7mm short mags would be fine also.

If any of you have used them, on anything pretty much, I am simply looking for detailed experiences and terminal performance as to whether they held up to the velocity they were driven to, shot accurately, and how they preformed on the intended game.

I am about to gather up my components to do a bit of development with them in my 7mm STW. I am looking to be pushing them to mid 3200fps as a muzzle velocity, but will settle on a realistic 3150, which I already know I can pretty easily get. Oh in case your wondering about my rifle, it is an early Sendero which sports a laminate stock, and 26" barrel. VERY sweet shooter and simply seems to love the 145 - 162gr bullets. So seeing as how it will shoot them all into tiny clusters out further than I should be pushing it, I thought I would settle on the middle ground and go with the 154 Interbond.

Anyway post up your stories or comments no matter if they are good, bad, or ugly. Feel free to throw in your load, and rifle data as well, I love to compare.

I'm pretty much already set on my powder, primers, and cases, but I keep an open ear for something that looks like it might have potential. I actually don't mind what they are fired from as long as there was something to be gained by doing so. I mean anything from a 7x30 Waters up through the 7 mm RUM or Weatherby will give me info on how they hold up and what they do when they hit game.

Thanks, and let the stories begin.
Old December 13, 2012, 10:32 PM   #2
reynolds357

I used to use Interbonds. They perform well. I never recovered one, they all exited on white tail deer. My problem with them is that I have never been able to get what I would consider acceptable accuracy from them. In my opinion, Hornaday has some quality control problems with the interbond. I only used them in 7 Rem on game. I tried them in 270 WSM and could not get them to group under 2" at 100. When I was loading the .270 I could see with my eye the difference in seat depth due to bullet differences. When I put the caliper on them it confirmed what I saw. My favorite hunting bullet is Berger (when you can get them).
Old December 14, 2012, 08:49 AM   #3
Mike / Tx

Quote:
My favorite hunting bullet is Berger (when you can get them).
I hear you on the Berger's, but they are sometimes just a bit much on things depending on the velocities they impact at. Where I will be using these I might be set up for a 400yd shot and something walk out at 40. With the STW stepping them up around 3100+ I am not overly sure the Berger would be the best thing going for me.

I have an ample supply of both the Interbonds and the SST's in the same weight. I have shot quite a few of the SST's in several calibers and they did well for the intended purpose. I just haven't run any up to this type of velocity so figured I would rather err on the side of to heavily constructed rather than too light.

Then again I also have half decent supply of old Nosler Solid Bases as well and I know for a fact how they do, that's what I am shooting in it now. Just thought I would save a few of them for better loads than simply shooting pigs and yotes.
Old December 14, 2012, 08:59 AM   #4
jwrowland77

If you like the 154gr Interbond, Hornady has them on discount right now for like $24 on their site.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this thread gets as I ordered 3 boxes of them from Hornady several weeks back.
Old December 14, 2012, 10:23 AM   #5
elkslayer4x5

Just took a look at Hornadys site, and the only .284 caliber bullet on sale is the 154 gr Interlock RN. Don't think that would be my choice for a 400yd bullet, of course, your mileage may vary.
Old December 14, 2012, 10:37 AM   #6
old roper

I've tried the IB couple other calibers and didn't get the accuracy. When I first move to Co I had 7Wby and my bullet of choice was Hornady 154 gr Interlock SP and used same bullet in my 7mag. I shot lot of elk/deer on combination tag with that 154gr bullet and I think Wby still loads that bullet for the 7Wby.
NRA Life Member