The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 13, 2014, 02:28 PM   #1
cw308

shell holder height

On a standard 308 shell holder height from case base to top of shell holder is .125 There is a difference in holder thickness from the base to the top of the holder, even though, the inside base to the top of the shell holders are the same .125. Found this out when using the RCBS ram primer, when I changed from the RCBS to the Redding shell holder, my primers bottomed out before the top of the stroke. Just something to make note of. Chris
Old August 13, 2014, 02:58 PM   #2
Bart B.

I wish that dimension was standardized. With the various designs and sizes presses have, it might not be possible.

A standard term for it doesn't exist as far as I know; another issue unto itself.
Old August 13, 2014, 04:00 PM   #3
cw308

Bart B, Changed from the RCBS to the Redding Type S F/L Bushing Die, 308 Cal. with the .336 & .337 bushings. Groups are very tight, glad I changed. Going to try the Imperial Application Media with Dry Neck Lube.
Old August 13, 2014, 10:24 PM   #4
F. Guffey

Shell holders have a deck height, that is it. A reloader can go after the shell holder like a mad scientist with micrometers, no matter what, the shell holder has a deck height, again that is it.

I have shell holders that will reject cases that have been fired with heavy loads, the shell holder, by design accomplishes the rejection by default.

There are shell holders that can be used to size cases for short chambers, I have shell holders that will shorten the length of the case from the shoulder to the head of the case by .012" shorter than a minimum length sized case. the same shell holder allows me to size a case .014" longer than a minimum length sized case, or if I choose to the shell holder will allow me to size a case to infinity, or, a more practical length just longer than a field reject length.

I have no complaint, shell holders do not drive me to the curb, shell holders are tools, I can size a case from .012" shorter than minimum length to .016" longer than minimum length, that is 28 different lengths. Most reloaders can bump, shorten the length of a case from the shoulder to the head of the case .002".

I am the fan of the loose shell holder, the more 'looser' the more versatile.

F. Guffey
Old August 14, 2014, 08:14 AM   #5
cw308

F Guffey, I know there are shell holders with different size decks, I thought the standard shell holders were all the same size
Old August 14, 2014, 08:45 AM   #6
F. Guffey

Quote:
F Guffey, I know there are shell holders with different size decks, I thought the standard shell holders were all the same size
I have three different RCBS shell holders. To determine the differences I turn them upside down. I acquired 8 Herter shell holders Monday, they are different, someone reduced the deck height by grinding. For me? Not a problem, I measure the deck height of equipment that is 'new to me', when measuring I will be able to determine the amount of material removed.

AND, I can not get that type shell holder from Redding because they do not make shell holders for short chambers. For short chambers I use RCBS shell holders.

F. Guffey
Old August 14, 2014, 10:52 AM   #7
Bart B.

Here's two different RCBS shell holders for .308 and .30-06 head type cartridges:

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/151...ProductFinding

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/326...ProductFinding

One's taller than the other.

It's the distance from their bottom end that fits in the ram to the flat where the case head rests is their difference.
Old August 14, 2014, 04:15 PM   #8
F. Guffey

Quote:
One's taller than the other.
And the deck height is? .125", a reloader would recognize the tall shell holder as an extended shell holder. A reloader with Gold Meadel and or Competition would knows the rational for the difference, it is possible to use one seating die for 308 W and 30/06 with two different shell holders.

One expensive seating die with two shell holders saves money.

F. Guffey
Old August 14, 2014, 06:13 PM   #9
PA-Joe

We are talking about the distance from the metal where the case sits to the top of the shellholder. Each brand and as noted even within the same brand there are differences.

If you have a very tight chamber like some of the WSMs that came out you could sand off a little from teh top of the shellholder to make them sit the shoulders back as needed.

Redding makes a match set of shellholders in a package of 5 I think and each one allows the shoulder setback to be adjusted more or less as needed.
Old August 14, 2014, 06:25 PM   #10
F. Guffey

Quote:
Redding makes a match set of shellholders in a package of 5 I think and each one allows the shoulder setback to be adjusted more or less as needed.
Match set? That has been debatable, I have a set, for me? No problem, I can measure deck height, my match set? from Redding has three of the match set off by .001" each. then there is that part about setting the shoulder back, I would think the shell holders are designed to avoid setting the shoulder back. I would think increasing the length of the case from the shoulder to the head of the case would be more correct when describing competition shell holders.

I said my favorite shell holder for sizing cases for short chambers is the RCBS set. I have never found it necessary to grind the top of the shell holder and or grind the bottom of the die, I have an inline, angle and butt grinder, the perfect tool reducing the deck height of the shell holder or when increases the ability of the die to reduce the length of the case from the shoulder to the head of the case, for me not a problem, I find better ways to do the same thing.

F. Guffey