The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 26, 2009, 09:26 AM   #1
Logs

DPMS .308 owners Heavy Barrel or Sporter model?

I am looking at buying a DPMS 308 and I am debating the heavy barrel model with fixed stock vs the sporter model with the adjustable car stock. Both are pretty close to the same price.

I like the feel of the lighter sporter model, but wondered about recoil?

Can anyone give me advice on either model?

Rifle would mostly be used for the range plinking bowling pins etc. I plan on putting a 4x12 Leupold Scope on it since I already have one not being used.
Old May 26, 2009, 01:08 PM   #2
hakalugi

i have a 24" heavy stainless barrel, fluted. for the range it works fine. i've taken it coyote hunting, and after 8 hrs i was a bit envious of the guys carrying thin barreled .22-250 and .204 ruger bolt guns and the 40% weight savings

but at the range and when shooting, the 13# (with large scope) work for me, not against me.

my next .308/7,62 will be a medium weight 18" barrel model, don't need another heavy duty shooter.
Old May 26, 2009, 04:28 PM   #3
lmccrock

I have a 20" barrelled DPMS LR308, and it is quite heavy (about 11 lbs with iron sights). Even dropping some pounds, remember it is "just" 308, and it is gas operated, which reduces felt recoil. Sounds like plinking bowling pins is better suited by a quick swinging gun, which means shorter and lighter.

Either choice will be a blast.

A good comp will help recoil, although they blow gases sideways, increasing noise and annoyance to people shooting closeby at a range.

Lee
Old May 26, 2009, 06:08 PM   #4
Logs

Both guns I am looking at are 16 inch barrels. One is the heavy barrel version 8.5 lbs and the sporter is 8.2 lbs. I guess it is really coming down to fixed stock or 6 Pos stock.
Old May 26, 2009, 06:10 PM   #5
Toxdoc

The LR-308 with the 24 inch barrel is heavy. Very heavy. All that weight is tipped forward. When I was handling them, I found holding it was quite uncomfortable. I can't imagine carrying that around and trying to shoot it off hand.

I opted for the LR-308L. It is much lighter (and has the JP trigger). It shoots better than I do and is relatively comfortable. I have not actually hauled it around for a few hours. It has a compensator and the recoil isn't bad.

Stock, it does not have 2 evil features, thus may not be grandfathered under an AWB as an evil rifle. I'm planning on putting and adjustable stock on it, at some point. I may also get another upper for it at some point.

I'm not a rifle maven. This is the only centerfire I own and have ever owned. But, so far, I've been a fan.
Old May 27, 2009, 09:16 AM   #6
john in jax

I had a LR-308 24" bull bbl and it was just too long and too heavy for anything but range play. I sold it and bought an LR-308B (18" fluted bull bbl) and I'm VERY happy with it.
Old May 27, 2009, 01:49 PM   #7
rugerdawg

I picked up an ar10t with the 24" hvy barrel and it was really front heavy. Sent it off and had it shortened to 18" and recrowned and it is much, much better weight and balance. Out to 600 yds you'll never know the difference.
Old May 27, 2009, 03:38 PM   #8
James R. Burke

Just my thoughts. Since it is a .308 I would not get to worried about recoil, they do have some when light guns are used. I would just go with what you like and feel best about.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:49 AM   #9
waterhouse

I used to own one of the heavy barrel ones and sold it. It was great for sitting on the bench but too handy. I've handled and shot (not owned) the lighter weight ones and much prefer them. Recoil was not bad at all.

If I was going to do long distance stuff with high magnification off a bench, I'd choose the heavy. Anything else, I like the light ones.