The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 11, 2012, 02:18 AM   #1
TheFineLine

Big gaps in my TWS Dog Leg Rail

I just got the Texas Weapon System Dog Leg Rail Gen 2 in a week ago or so. I saw these gaps between the cover and the rifle and thought it was strange but with all of the posts about how great it is for the AK I figured it was good. I'm not a builder or a smith and don't know much about construction and what is right/wrong on an AK, but I saw a post on another forum from a guy very dissatisfied. Take a look and tell me what you think. Its on a Polish underfolder.

Old December 11, 2012, 07:54 AM   #2
Mrgunsngear

Odd... I've heard of this happening before and I believe the solution was some 'fitting.' That said, I'd shoot an email to TWS and follow up with a call to see what they say; my guess is they'll know more than anyone here...
Old December 11, 2012, 09:25 PM   #3
AKsRul.e

Read the Instructions......

http://texasweaponsystems.com/id9.html

The two bolts on top are for adjustment.

Old December 11, 2012, 09:47 PM   #4
Achilles11B

It's an AK, what's the problem?
Old December 12, 2012, 10:00 AM   #5
Fishbed77

Quote:
It's an AK, what's the problem?
My thoughts exactly. I assume it's made with loose tolerances to accomodate the many different varieties of AK out there.
Old December 12, 2012, 12:32 PM   #6
TheFineLine

I used the screws. The rail is set properly.. After a bunch of reading I found this quote over on ar15.com from the owner of TWS. IMO it doesn't look right on my rifle. That being said it is solid, the finish is great, and I get a peep and can finally mount an optic, I just wish it would have been clear that they made the change.

"You know, it's kinda funny how these things go sometimes. The left side clearance cut-out people are discussing here was adopted in about March of this year. The change was made in order to fit a greater variety of AK models including RPK and VEPR. The larger cut-out was required to fit the bulged trunnion on those weapons. So for nine months or so no one seemed to care or even notice. Usually, I let these discussions play themselves out on their own. However, in the last few weeks I've received a pile of calls and emails from concerned people. Somewhat of a tempest in a tea pot.

So here below are pictures and descriptions of the issue at hand. First off, the top cover is not really a DUST cover at all. We don't care about dust in the receiver. We've all seen videos of buried AK's coming out of the ground, having the dirt shaken out, and dumping a full magazine. Dust and dirt won't hurt us. What we care about is protecting our faces from a reciprocating bolt carrier and keeping out the larger debris such as sticks and stones, or the enemy's bone fragments that can jam up our fire control mechanism. The factory original cover is neither air nor water tight. Also, following the Russian training doctrine the weapon is always carried with the safety lever in the fire position when patrolling or contact is possible. This obviously leaves a very large opening exposed on the right side which makes our little gaps seem insignificant. I hope this addresses peoples concerns. If not, please chime in.

This picture is an installation on a Century Arms Polish Tantal AK-74."
Old December 12, 2012, 04:34 PM   #7
Eghad

It isn't going to hurt a thing....

NRA Life Member
Old December 13, 2012, 03:12 AM   #8
bamaranger

shoot it

Hey Fineline!

Shoot the living daylights out of that rig and let us know how the dogleg mount holds up and holds zero.

I have seriously been thinking of buying one.

They make one for the PSL as well
Old December 13, 2012, 01:22 PM   #9
TheFineLine

It's definitely on my to do list. I have a Bushnell TRS25 coming for Christmas too . I plan on taking it out to the range and running a couple of hundred rounds thru it right after Christmas. The mount is solid. There is no give side-to-side. I've manually cycled it 50 times or so. There is a little scuffing about 1/4 inch where the spring come into contact with the underside of the top of the rail. We'll see how it holds up.