The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 15, 2000, 09:24 AM   #1
Bill Hebert

I would like to ship 5,000 primers, 4lbs of powder, and some shooting accessories(range bag, chrony, timer, etc). I'm figuring I'll have to pay two hazmat fees (primers/powder separate0. Can we pack the powder in the range bags and accessories to then only have two packages? Does the earth come to an end if everything is packed together with one hazmat? Thanks for any info. UPS has already told me how to maximize their profits. Can I ship Fedex or roadway cheaper?
Old May 15, 2000, 11:47 AM   #2
El Rojo

What they don't know won't hurt them. Just ship it off and hope the plane doesn't come crashing down when it somehow explodes. Expect lawsuits and criminal charges. But how likely is that to happen?
Old May 15, 2000, 01:23 PM   #3
bk40

I've shipped like El Rojo suggests before w/o problems - use very sturdy packing material.

FWIW- some companies are shipping small quantities of powder and primers together... 1 Haz fee. I'd say your package fits that description.
Old May 15, 2000, 01:31 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

I think UPS's new regulations will allow you to ship both powder and primers in the same package. At least that's what both Natchez and Graf & Sons do and they should be up on the latest regs. The downside is that UPS raised the hazmat fee, of course. Just put everything in one package with the range accessories separating the primers from the powder and tell them it contains Class D flammable solids. You don't need to give details.
Old May 20, 2000, 09:30 PM   #5
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Hebert:
I would like to ship 5,000 primers, 4lbs of powder, and some shooting accessories(range bag, chrony, timer, etc). [/quote]

Hey Cuz if you need it shipped make the powder 4895 and the 5000 primers large rifle primers and I will even come and pick it up from you!!! (EVIL GRIN)!! You can keep the range bag and chrony (I already have one)

------------------
Carlyle
Old May 20, 2000, 09:46 PM   #6
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by El Rojo:
What they don't know won't hurt them. Just ship it off and hope the plane doesn't come crashing down when it somehow explodes. Expect lawsuits and criminal charges. But how likely is that to happen?[/quote]

Heck if it crashes that good there wont be any evidence of where the package came from or who it was addressed to anyway.

------------------
Carlyle Hebert
Old May 22, 2000, 09:50 AM   #7
Bill Hebert

Hey "Cuz" thanks for the post. It brought a smile for a Monday morning. Well a trip to UPS made me realize two things 1. UPS doesn't care diddly about shipping for "the public." They were rude and didn't know anything. As I was leaving the UPS building, I noticed a small sign on the wall that said UPS no longer will ship ANY hazardous materials shipped by anyone who doesn't have an account with UPS as a shipper or is "licensed" by UPS to ship hazardous materials. That's why Natchez and others will/can ship primers/powder and "we" can't. So they will ship 100# of powder to you but you can't turn around and ship 1# to you "cuz" in Jeanerettte. 2. I realized how "vulnerable" shooters actually are. Slick Willie issues an executive order prohibiting interstate shipping of primers/powder to "protect" public transportation. I guess at that point, I would have no choice except to join with an unmentioned individual and start "Cuzzes Transportation Cumpany" Later, Bill
Old May 22, 2000, 01:09 PM   #8
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Bill, try Fedex. I heard by way of the grapevine that one of the reasons that CMP uses Federal Express is because of all the BS that UPS was giving them. It ought to serve UPS right because I know that CMP spends lots of money shipping rifles ammo etc. all around the country. I do know this............if I have something to get shipped it will get shipped one way or the other.

------------------
Carlyle Hebert
Old May 22, 2000, 11:23 PM   #9
alan

In plain English, UPS "Hazmat" charges for shippments of powder and primers are simply their method of GOUGING THEIR CUSTOMERS.

If you tried the same stunt, you might well find yourself charged with grand larceny.

If you are big enough, you can get away with nearly anything, or so it seems.