The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 20, 2013, 07:40 AM   #1
cecILL

Looking for a lever in .22

Becoming interested in .22 lever actions.

What is out there and what would you recommend?
Old December 20, 2013, 08:25 AM   #2
Wishoot

I'm very happy with my Henry H001. It's inexpensive, lightweight and plenty accurate.

f I had money to spend, I'd love to pick up a Browning BL-22. Lot's of people love their Marlin 39A's.
Old December 20, 2013, 08:33 AM   #3
kutz

Henry
Old December 20, 2013, 08:43 AM   #4
Peter M. Eick

Browning or Winchester. Pricey but lifetime investments.
Old December 20, 2013, 08:44 AM   #5
ChasingWhitetail91

Henry with the octagon barrel.
Old December 20, 2013, 09:04 AM   #6
doceaux

.22 lever

+1 for Browning add a Skinner sight for light carry woods gun, Marlin 39 for cowboy shooting or scoped.
Old December 20, 2013, 11:14 AM   #7
dgludwig

The Marlin Model 39 gets my vote. Dating back to the end of the 19th century, one of the oldest (if not the oldest) continually made rifles made in America (if not the world). Steeped in history and made entirely from forged, machined steel parts and American black walnut, it's the .22 lever-action rifle all are (or should be) compared to.
Old December 20, 2013, 12:15 PM   #8
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecILL

Becoming interested in .22 lever actions.

What is out there ?

Off the top of my head (I might have missed a few)

Current production:

Browning BL-22 - A few varieties in Grade I & Grade II

Henry Repeating Arms - At least 8 varieties

Marlin 39a - now by Remington

Mossberg 464 - A Henry H001 Standard clone

Italian (Uberti) clones of the Winchester 73

Discontinued production:

Erma/Ithaca Model 72 - The basis for the current Henry H001 Standard

Mossberg Palomino

Remington Nylon 76

(Winchester) Model 1892/92 clones from SA & Italy

Ruger 96/22 - LR & WRM/Magnum

Winchester 9422 - several varieties

Winchester 1873 (rare/collectible)

Old December 20, 2013, 12:31 PM   #9
Pahoo

Henry and Marlins !!!

Quote:
The older Winchester & Marlin 39 family are collectable/desirable.
The Henrys are very serviceable and good start.

Personally, I would pass on the Brownings as you can do better for the money.

Be Safe !!!
Old December 20, 2013, 12:34 PM   #10
new_camper

I have had the pleasure of shooting two of the henry lever actions, the h001 and the model with the octagon barrel. I enjoyed them both and they were both accurate and extremely fun.
Old December 20, 2013, 12:37 PM   #11
eldermike

If you get a chance cycle all of them, and then buy the Henry
Old December 20, 2013, 12:43 PM   #12
Doc.Holliday

Old December 20, 2013, 01:49 PM   #13
jmr40

If you want a well made classic rifle you'll be proud to hand down to the grandkids look for a used Marlin 39 variant or a Winchester 94-22. No personal experience, but the Browning gets good reports too. I like the Winchester a little better.

If you want an inexpensive, well made gun the Henry is hard to beat. It is the 10-22 of lever action 22's. It will never be a classic, but should give years of good service.
Old December 20, 2013, 02:02 PM   #14
2ndsojourn

I recommend getting one each - Henry Golden Boy, Marlin 39A, Browning BL-22 & Winchester 94-22.
Old December 20, 2013, 02:18 PM   #15
Inspector3711

Marlin 39 or Browing if you want perty... Both are usually tack drivers. Henry will work too but I like my Marlins.
Old December 20, 2013, 03:49 PM   #16
SteelChickenShooter

In my case the Browning lacked the expected accuracy, but the Henry was fine. I really did like the Browning, it's a sweet little honey to handle. I'm sorry it didn't give me what I wanted shooting aspirin tablets at 25 yards. Absolutely it had plenty accuracy for small game hunters and plinkers. Just could not reliably hit cheerios & peanuts at the local "fun shoots".
Old December 20, 2013, 04:38 PM   #17
mk70ss

Spend the extra dollars and get the Cadillac of .22 levers. The Browning BLR. They are awesome. Here is mine.

Old December 20, 2013, 07:23 PM   #18
osbornk

I am very pleased with my Henry and the warranty speaks for itself. The Henry warranty is simply:

Henry Repeating Arms stands behind its products as it has historically. We offer a simple limited lifetime warranty; if you have a problem at any time, and it's our fault, we will correct the problem immediately and at no charge. The warranty does not cover excessive wear and tear to parts, and accidental damage.
Old December 20, 2013, 08:34 PM   #19
steveNChunter

I love my Browning BL-22. Beautiful, accurate, and the short-travel lever really sets it apart from the competition IMO. Nothing wrong with the Henry or Marlin either. Mossberg makes a pretty nice .22 levergun too, the 464-.22. It's a pretty close copy of the old 9422 Winchester.
Old December 21, 2013, 12:19 AM   #20
FrankenMauser

Marlin 39A if you like a long throw lever.
Browning BL-22 if you like a short throw lever.
Old December 21, 2013, 06:55 AM   #21
az_imuth

Quote:
Current production rimfire leverguns out there are the Henry, Marlin, Browning, Mossberg and Uberti. The Henry outsells the others by leaps and bounds. This is due to relatively low cost, outstanding customer service, made in America, and the fact that their guns are the smoothest shooting rifles of the bunch, past or present. The most popular rifles are the Henry, Marlin 39 and the Winchester 9422, with the Browning BL-22 well behind the others. The Winchester (discontinued) and Marlin are very fine rifles made from forged steel and walnut, and both are collectible. They are also the only two takedown rifles of the bunch. The Browning is a beautiful little Japanese made rifle that uses a combination of steel and alloy, along with some very nice walnut on many examples. The Browning uses a unique, non-traditional lever/trigger assembly that moves together and results in a very short, quick lever stroke. I've only handled the Mossberg and wasn't impressed, due mainly to the two external safeties, the rebounding hammer, the so-called hardwood, and the price.

My recommendation? Henry if you want a smooth, easy shooter and are are on a budget. Winchester or Marlin if you want an exceptional rifle that would make a great heirloom. The browning if you want excellent fit/finish with heirloom quality and won't be bothered by the non-traditional lever design.

One more thing...if you go for the Marlin then do yourself a favor and look for an older one (pre-Remington) in nice condition because the new ones seem to be plagued with problems.

Best of luck in your search!
Old December 21, 2013, 08:22 AM   #22
cecILL

Really appreciate all the replies. Thank you!

Had not known of all the models out there. Would love to find a Nylon, beings a 12 and 66 are here, but can't say I've ever seen one in person.

Had a BL for 20 years or so, bought used for $150, almost like new, no box.

Searched for a 39A at a decent price for a couple of years and had no luck. Finally found a 1965 for 5 bills, fair but no steal. And this is where my problem started.
Then the Henry Golden Boy on sale at the tractor store for $349.

Local gun show had a LNIB 9422. Thought it was high at $800, but after some research, think that was a decent deal.

Just one more, which led to this post.
Was considering the Mossberg, but as PetahW said, it is a clone of the Henry, and AZ_imuth, your opinion is valued. Will have to look at the Ruger and research the other out of production offerings.
Thanks again to all who responded. This is a great forum with exceptional people!
Old December 21, 2013, 11:19 AM   #23
Pahoo

The older Marlins

Just my preference and certainly not trying to take anything away from other's choices but of all the lever action .22's the Marlin Mounty series are my favorite. Likewise, the TDS and Century Limited. At one time I even had a LeverMatic. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 21, 2013, 12:03 PM   #24
Deja vu

Uberti Scout Silver boy looks nice.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old December 21, 2013, 02:12 PM   #25
az_imuth

Quote:
Uberti Scout Silver boy looks nice.
I love the design of those Uberti Silver Boy rifles. If they came in actual walnut with a different finish on the receiver I'd be forced to buy one.