The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 26, 2013, 04:30 PM   #1
ftballgod

the 2 day waiting period may take a week???

i stopped at a local gun shop today to pick up the gun i bought 2 days ago. i was told by the owner that he had not been called back by the gov. to clear me yet. and that i should check back next week tues. he told me this is normal but i have never had it take more than 2 days and i have bought over 30 handguns.

this is not my normal gun shop but i found a gun i wanted and a good price no i jumped on it.

i was a little upset because i wanted to go shooting tomorrow.

is this normal?

any info would help thanks.
Old April 26, 2013, 04:51 PM   #2
southjk

I guess it's different for different states but I've never had to wait more than 10-15 minutes for the results. Usually in and out the door with my new gun in less than 30 minutes once I've made the decision to buy. This has been my experience for three pistols over the last 5 months.
Old April 26, 2013, 04:56 PM   #3
dakota.potts

Here in Florida you have to wait 3 days, and other states have waiting periods that I'm aware of.

I do remember hearing though that if they take more than a certain time (5 days?) you're clear to take it home by law regardless. Don't take my advice but that's a possible avenue for research.
Old April 26, 2013, 05:01 PM   #4
steveno

if it is the nics check the dealer can call back after one business day and check the status
Old April 26, 2013, 05:03 PM   #5
2ndsojourn

Here in NJ, the 'instant' background check system is backed up about 14 days. They don't use the fed NICS system, NJ uses its own system. Over in Philly PA, my girlfriend's check took a few minutes.
Old April 26, 2013, 07:46 PM   #6
22-rimfire

I have heard that MD background check system is behind about 30 days. Gun control at its finest.
Old April 26, 2013, 07:57 PM   #7
Dalek

Until recently, the "Instant Check", here in CO. was taking nearly a month due to "volume".
Old April 26, 2013, 09:34 PM   #8
ftballgod

i want my gun now! lol i talk to a few ffl friends. they told me not to worry. either he forgot to call me in or he did not call again to check.
Old April 26, 2013, 10:05 PM   #9
ClydeFrog

Security license...

I'm in the same boat in a way.
I am waiting for my new state issued security license(unarmed). I have no criminal or background issues that I know of. My US Dept of State passport & ID card were processed in 8 days, .
I sent the photo, money order(payment), documents etc in to the state Div of Licensing 5 weeks ago. Still no reply or ID card yet.

In the past, 2006-2008-2010, the license process would take 10-14 days or so.

I also didnt get any notices by email or phone why my application was delayed.

The state agency also handles citizen concealed carry records/licenses which have sky-rocketed in the last 12mo in my state.

ClydeFrog
Old April 27, 2013, 09:31 AM   #10
osbornk

I bought a revolver last Saturday afternoon here in Virginia. The entire transaction, including credit card approval, took less than 15 minutes with most of the time taken by filling out the questionnaire for both the Feds. and the state of Virginia. Once the information was keyed into the computer, the approval came back in a minute or two. This was my 3rd. purchase at this gun shop in the last 6 months and the time needed to make each purchase was about the same.
Old April 27, 2013, 11:42 AM   #11
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
Here in Florida you have to wait 3 days, and other states have waiting periods that I'm aware of.
Only true in Florida IF you do not have your CCW. If you do, no waiting period. Many states do NOT have waiting periods. Those seem to typically be in states with lots of gun control, gun-free zones and similar impediments
Old April 27, 2013, 12:01 PM   #12
BrassAndLead

2 days here in Wisconsin. They got the background check done in 10 minutes, and then the standard 48 hours once the paperwork was done.
Old April 27, 2013, 12:37 PM   #13
22-rimfire

It might help if we knew what state you are located in. In my state, I normally have about a 15 minute wait.
Old April 27, 2013, 01:28 PM   #14
wogpotter

Quote:
I have heard that MD background check system is behind about 30 days. Gun control at its finest.
Its actually much worse than that.
The 7-day check is currently about 60 days, (according to my local dealer as of last weekend) with an additional 30-day wait after that to buy a second gun. To add to the mess NICS expires after 30 days so, in theory every 7-day check becomes invalid 1/2 way through the approval process!

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old April 29, 2013, 02:51 PM   #15
ftballgod

i am in wisconsin. its a 2 day wait here. it does not matter if you have your ccw or not. that is why i dont know why they are making me wait longer.
Old April 29, 2013, 03:36 PM   #16
Dr Big Bird PhD

That's interesting. I was under the impression that they were required to complete the NICS check before the waiting period was over or tough luck for them.

But that may be a state by state precedent and not a federal one
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old April 29, 2013, 04:42 PM   #17
wogpotter

The problem is HOW "they" do the NICS, not the NICS itself!

In MD its ONLY done via the MSP & they are so buried they can't even begin to play catchup.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old April 29, 2013, 06:51 PM   #18
Kreyzhorse

Chances are it is simply volume related. Guns are selling well and delays are common.
Old April 29, 2013, 07:57 PM   #19
ftballgod

i bought 3 guns in dec and jan. and had no problems. the only thing i can think of is that the owner of the shop made some sort of mistake.
Old April 30, 2013, 12:11 AM   #20
ClydeFrog

Here's what burns my beans....

These state & local officials hue and cry about delays errors lack of staff overtime etc.
These new license fees & application funds plus the addition resources(COPS grants, DHS funding, state budgets, etc) should be more than able to cover or expedite all the new license applications or gun buyer requirements.
Some areas have a 30-50% jump. Where is all the $$$ going?

ClydeFrog
Old April 30, 2013, 03:56 AM   #21
Dalek

Well, for what it is worth, we now pay $10 per BGC here in CO.
Old April 30, 2013, 07:40 PM   #22
buck460XVR

Quote:
originally posted by ftballgod:

the only thing i can think of is that the owner of the shop made some sort of mistake.
could be....or you did on the 4473. Maybe transcribed a number or spelled something in your address different than it is on your drivers license. Could be your name is the same as someone else local that just had a restraining order put on them. Could be a myriad of things....could have just been lost in the system. Did you give your SS number? Many folks nowadays don't, but it does tend to speed things up and helps to avoid confusion. Either way, by tomorrow, you should have your firearm.
Old April 30, 2013, 10:16 PM   #23
ClydeFrog

Finally...

My new security license/information was updated as of 04/30/2013.
It took approx 6 weeks.

CF
Old May 1, 2013, 08:06 PM   #24
ftballgod

woohoo! i picked up my gun yesterday. still no idea why it took so long. i did not ask when i picked it up. i was just happy to get it.

i dont think i made a mistake i have filled out a LOT of these. and i dont think its a name thing because i have a very uncommon name.

oh well happy to have my sweet ruger sp101 .357 snubby.
Old May 1, 2013, 08:11 PM   #25
ClydeFrog

Soc security #...

I always include my SS# with these ATF & background forms. It speeds it up.

Some gunners & license holders get leery of doing it, but Id rather be 100% sure my records & forms get cleared with 0 problems.