The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 19, 2007, 09:17 PM   #1
rugerdude

Tactical shotgun drills

Does anyone here practice tactical or defensive shotgun shooting drills regularly? I have a Mossberg 500a with a shell saddle and it's pretty bare-bones as far as "tactical-ness" goes, but I know this gun well and I've busted thousands of clays with it in competitive skeet shooting.

I don't have the cash right now to take a class, so in the meantime, what are some drills I can practice on my own?

Reloading from the shell saddle is one I've thought of that would be useful, but I'm really not terribly creative.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old August 19, 2007, 09:34 PM   #2
Deaf Smith

rugerdude,

Do you practice from barriades? Shooting while moving? Reloading while moving? Transitioning between targets.

You can pratice speed shooting real well, as for gun handing needed to shoot a pump, with brass 'snap caps'. It allows you to actually load the weapon with snap caps, 'fire' them as fast as you can while cycling the shotgun (or mess up and half cycle the gun!)

Weak sides shooting? Shooting one handed (try pumping the weapon with only your good side arm, then shooting with no supporting arm, and then reloading one handed!)

How about hostage drills? Do you know the pattern capability of your 500 well enough to make a 'stand off' shot so that only a partial pattern hits the BG but misses the hostage?
Old August 20, 2007, 08:22 AM   #3
Desert01

Purchase the following two books:

Stressfire II: Advanced Combat Shotgun (Paperback)
by Massad F. Ayoob

Tactical Shotgun: The Best Techniques And Tactics For Employing The Shotgun In Personal Combat
by Gabriel Suarez

and FYI, it sounds like you have the top of the line "tactical" shotgun. Bare bones with "I know this gun well".
Old August 20, 2007, 08:34 PM   #4
Desert01

Ruger Dude<

Check my Qual paper writen around Mil Qualification Standards and the issue Mossberg 500:

http://www.desertsystms.com/ShotgunQualFinal.html
Old August 20, 2007, 09:02 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

First, you have the most important accessory to have on a defensive arm

Wear marks.

As for drills, use some imagination. Firing while moving, firing on moving targets, firing after running in place long enough to up your pulse to simulate adrenaline boost, etc.

Do not forget low light and shooting from the weaker side.

I've simulated low light by using welding goggles or dark sunglasses in shadt areas.

And, skeet has its good points, especailly doubles..Note that a 4 inch standard target is about as wide as the CNS through much of its length.
Old August 23, 2007, 06:43 AM   #6
okiewita40

Rugerdude,

You may want to try the CLEET course of fire to start with. Ask any TPD about it. Or just ask and see if you can get a number to call a firearms instructor for the PD or S.O.

We start out with the shotgun in what is called the cruiser safe mode. Load and fire after that most everything is combat loaded. If you want to see something cool wait for a heavy rain w/o lightning and fire a slug from 50 yards. You can actually wath the slug go down range from the rain being hit by the slug.