The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old October 21, 2004, 03:43 PM   #1
kathaksung

My view on sniper case (continuation)

I posted a follow up to thread "Sniper's Bushie - More... " but it failed to show up. I have to re-post it here.

129. My view on sniper case (5/16)

The sniper spree started at the same day when the bill (H.J. res 114) "authorizing the use of armed force against Iraq" was introduced to the House. Six deaths within first 28 hours shocked the country, especially those lived in the DC area. Senators were warned it was dangerous to be in golf field. The shooting continued, maintained a terror pressure on politicians. On Oct. 11, 9:30 am, the eleventh shooting made a last push on Senators. Later that day, Senate passed the bill.

It was 10 days from Oct. 2 (introduce the bill) to Oct. 11. (bill passed). There were 11 shootings took place during that time. Averaged more than one shooting a day. I call it the first stage. (action stage) The insider group successfully reached their goal, pushed the bill passing through.

Since President Bush needed this bill, the shooting push was unnecessary for him. The second stage started from 10/12(bill passed) to 10/24 (Mohammad and Malvo arrested). I call it retreat stage in which they planted, covered up their trace and found a scapegoat. There were 3 shootings in this 12 days period, much less than in the 1st stage. Yet, they have particular meanings.

What would they do after the mission was done? Cover up. The first one of the 3 shootings was on 10/14 where a FBI analyst was shot to death. A way to quit from suspect's profile. Because the victim of this case was a designated one, so there were many unusual things happened in this case and made it one special in all the shooting spree. (see message "116. The death of FBI analyst (2/28)")

Then, the second one of 3 shootings told people the motive of this shooting spree was for money. The shooting on 10/19 came with the demand of 10 million dollars from sniper. The unusual thing was if it was a blackmail, why did they demand the money so late? In most blackmail cases, the first thing criminal did was to request a ransom after they kidnapped the victim. It was amazing to see they shot FBI staff first than thought of to plant a motive. How eager they tried to quit from the suspect profile.

The last shooting on 10/23 was followed by the arrest of the two in Caprice. Which made many people think Mohammad and Malvo were the snipers because there was no more sniper shooting afterwards. To avoid being embarrassed by incapable to solve this case like what happened in anthrax attack, they hurried to frame it a blackmail case in last 5 days. (from 10/19 to 10/24)